I’ve spotted a rabbit on my permission on two separate occasions, it’s the first rabbit I’ve seen in nearly three years. So my question is, if I’ve spotted one how many will there be knocking about in the colony? I’d like to take a few, but not before the numbers are sustainable. 

Thanks Dave

You are about the only person to spot a rabbit in recent times ffs. I reckon they are as rare as the lesser spotted, long billed, hairy arsed, one legged haggis. Jok.

13 hours ago, jok said:

You are about the only person to spot a rabbit in recent times ffs. I reckon they are as rare as the lesser spotted, long billed, hairy arsed, one legged haggis. Jok.

The greater spotted short billed smooth arsed three legged ones are to a penny round here ..and we have five rabbits in the garden ...

• Haha 1
51 minutes ago, sussex said:

The greater spotted short billed smooth arsed three legged ones are to a penny round here ..and we have five rabbits in the garden ...

But do they have names and a wooden house? ?

thanks for the reply’s, I think I’ll give the lamping a go like @The one mentioned. I won’t be taking any until I see good numbers. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jok said:

Truthfully have not seen a rabbit in a long time, not even flat. Jok.

Its quite sad, I spoke to a gentleman in the gun shop about the lack of rabbits, he’s put it down to a few diseases that wiped big numbers out, but did say a couple of good warm summers and the numbers will come back. 

Certainly seen more in last 5 weeks than have for last few years on our farm. A one time pest, it's refreshing to hear that more of us realise & accept they aren't (currently) the cannon fodder they once were. ?

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Certainly seen more in last 5 weeks than have for last few years on our farm. A one time pest, it's refreshing to hear that more of us realise & accept they aren't (currently) the cannon fodder they once were. ?

I haven’t mentioned it to the land owner, it’ll be gone by the end of the week. 

• Like 1

Years seem to go up and down, last year was a little quieter than usual for me, but still busy.

Things are already very busy this year, one area in particular where I control several owners land has erupted with them.

There’s a good few around here at the minute, we normally get a good go at them once the crops come down for the first couple of weeks, I don’t think we’ll ever see it how it once was, it’s been a lot of years since I’ve been out and taken 30’s

On 04/05/2019 at 21:58, Dave_4 said:

I’ve spotted a rabbit on my permission on two separate occasions, it’s the first rabbit I’ve seen in nearly three years. So my question is, if I’ve spotted one how many will there be knocking about in the colony? I’d like to take a few, but not before the numbers are sustainable. 

Thanks Dave

Get yourself a cheap trail cam, you will be amazed what’s about when your not, I have 4 up in a wood I walk a couple of times a week in the two years I,ve been walking it, I,ve seen 2or 3 hares out in the fields around it yet I,m getting 2 to 3 a night on camera going in and out the wood, they are so localised that  in over a 1000 acres I,ve only found two paths they will use and I,ve never seen one in the wood apart from on camera, muntjac are simular one spot in a wood can be alive with them but a couple of hundred yards away never see one, your understanding of your prey will go up the more you can watch them in there natural habitat and you will also realise how much smelll and noise we kick off when you see things take flight 20 mins before you arrive and resume chomping 20 mins after you have left✌️✌️

• Like 4

A thermal imaging spotter will give you the best means of determining rabbit numbers . I’ve been sitting out for a fox the last few evenings and the paddocks I’ve been sitting in have a good few in . I’ve counted the rabbits every evening in the three paddocks I could see from my vantage point and every evening it’s been roughly the same amount , so I guess it’s an accurate way of counting what you have . My advice is leave them be for the moment, if you have seen only one you don’t have a harvestable surplus yet . Wait to see what you have late summer . 

• Like 1

There back and with a vengenance  I've got maybe another night on them in a couple of weeks and hopefully that's it  I will be glad  to lay off them for the summer  it's getting that at this time of year the only way to thin them out is like a night shift