Lamper121

DEFRA Consultation - General Licences

3 hours ago, mark williams said:

I am getting the impression the timing of this whole affair from start to finish will mirror the breeding seasons .

Just imagine the explosion of corvid and pigeon numbers from just this alone. :o:cry:

Could be a good thing, farmers could be tearing our arms off to shoot the feckers 👍

• Like 1

When I was a kid, we used to buy what products were available and that meant only when they were in season but in reality I think the point is that our farming industry needs to be on top of their game as there will be either price hikes which in turn may well make some of these things difficult to buy in the shops. 

Mitch, please don't make the mistake of thinking I am a remainer because believe me I am NOT.

Phil

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mark williams said:

I am getting the impression the timing of this whole affair from start to finish will mirror the breeding seasons .

Just imagine the explosion of corvid and pigeon numbers from just this alone. :o:cry:

I have been saying this to a few others in the past few days Mark 

great minds think a like or are we just cynical😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villaman said:

I have been saying this to a few others in the past few days Mark 

great minds think a like or are we just cynical😂 

Great shout Marko. To be honest, imagine the opportunities and amount of pest smashin us air gunners will get after the breeding season... people looking for permissions and indeed their first perms, get door knocking. Works out well really, can’t see the damn birds with foliage on the trees and high crops anyway. Autumn and winter though... might treat me sen to a brand spank TX in .177 just for the cause 😁

• Haha 1

Our legal challenge of the general licences (GL04, GL05, GL06) was successful - Natural England admitted that they were unlawful on 23 April. Thank you to everyone who has supported Wild Justice in these early weeks of our existence - we appreciate your support.

Natural England revoked the licences on 25 April and this caused a storm of protest from gamekeepers, farmers and others who were completely taken by surprise by this move. Wild Justice was taken by surprise too, as we had no advance warning of the announcement, we had not asked for the licences to be revoked and Natural England had not indicated in their response to our legal challenge that they were going to do this. We had asked Natural England to commit to issuing lawful licences on 1 January 2020 when the current flawed licences would expire.  Today we have published a chronology of the events leading up to Natural England's announcement including a copy of our legal challenge (issued on 13 February) and Natural England's ambiguous and unsatisfactory response on 13 March.

We expect that you will have noticed some of the broadcast, print and social media comment on these events. Much of it has been inaccurate and some of it has been personally or politically motivated.  Natural England, who did the right thing in conceding that our challenge was correct (although we feel they could have moved rather more rapidly to do so and less rapidly to pull the licences) have been attacked by organisations that have always been gunning for Natural England. Natural England's new Chair, Tony Juniper (a lifelong environmentalist whom we respect greatly) was unlucky enough to have his first day in the job on the day that Natural England made its announcement about the general licences.This was very strange timing since the decision to revoke the licences was made under the temporary Chairmanship of Lord Blencathra, a strong supporter of the Countryside Alliance. And, our own co-director, Chris Packham received a death threat and torrents of abuse by those who object to him speaking out for nature. A lot of the comment has been spiteful and ill-informed - it's not come as a surprise to us but it is a sad reflection of the state of affairs in the UK when a legal victory, which results in changes to decades of unlawful killing of wildlife, licensed by the statutory agency and sanctioned by the government department responsible for protecting wildlife, leads to death threats and abuse.

But now the licensing of killing of the birds formerly listed on the three revoked general licences is being reviewed - thanks to our challenge. The Secretary of State for Defra, Michael Gove, has taken back control of the subject and so the ball is in his court.  Wild Justice will monitor his actions with great interest  and will be submitting our detailed and somewhat technical comments to him by his ridiculously short deadline of 5pm on Monday.  We will publish our consultation response on the Wild Justice blog on Monday and also send out another of these newsletters so you will see what we have said.

Michael Gove has asked organisations to collate the views of their members in order to make the task of processing responses easier. Wild Justice does not have any members, so we can't do that but the fact that you have subscribed to this newsletter means that you are interested in our work and so we would invite you to respond to the consultation - here is the link to it.

What should you say? That is entirely up to you, but please be polite. You may wish to welcome the consultation. You may wish to state that the licensing of bird killing affects all those who enjoy wildlife and that you are such a person. You may wish to say that it is time for a review of the scientific evidence behind the reasons why some species are killed at all and that it is notable that the BTO has already said that they have doubts as to whether the Jay ought to be the subject of a general licence authorising lethal control - Wild Justice believes that there is no justification at all for a general licence to be issued which sanctions the killing of Jays for the protection of wild birds and that will be part of our formal response. It is up to you whether you respond to the consultation and what you say but if you do send in a response then please feel free to copy Wild Justice (admin@wildjustice.org.uk) into your response because we'd love to see what you say.

That's it for now. Thank you for your support - we'll keep you informed of what is happening.

Wild Justice (Directors: Mark Avery, Chris Packham and Ruth Tingay).

This email was sent to you because you subscribed to it through the Wild Justice website.  Thank you. We will only use your personal details to send you the Wild Justice newsletter. We will not give or sell your details to anyone else.  You can unsubscribe at any time: there is an unsubscribe button at the foot of this email or you can reply to this email and ask us to remove you from the list (the former will happen immediately, the latter might take a few days).

I subscribed to the Wild Justice newsletter, I think it's wise to watch what the opposition are doing and saying! Anyway, this email clearly shows that Natural England are entirely responsible for the GL fiasco. What on earth were they playing at? It also looks like the only corvid not on a new GL could be jays.
  • Like 2