• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

is this ok for you ......  

A cow 

Can i have a West Ham one ?....what with the London stabathon still in full swing they,ll sell like hot cakes outside the ground.

Posted Images

That’s how a lot of people make a knife ... take a flat stock piece of Steele and cut out the shape file in the bevels etc .... I take a lump of Steele and forge the shape of the knife with a hammer and hammer in the start of the bevel. Just my way of doing it and I think that cutting a shape out of flat Steele is easy whereas hammering the shape out takes a bit more doing ......

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, socks said:

That’s how a lot of people make a knife ... take a flat stock piece of Steele and cut out the shape file in the bevels etc .... I take a lump of Steele and forge the shape of the knife with a hammer and hammer in the start of the bevel. Just my way of doing it and I think that cutting a shape out of flat Steele is easy whereas hammering the shape out takes a bit more doing ......

Did you see the episode of mountain men where the fella with tattoos under his eyes made the mechanical hammer out of a log splitter I think ? For his knife making business. 

15 minutes ago, socks said:

i apreciate the skills involved in forging  , but with modern steels , especially the high end stuff  there is no benefit whatsow=ever in foging to shape , unless you are making pattern welded billetts  :thumbs:

56 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Did you see the episode of mountain men where the fella with tattoos under his eyes made the mechanical hammer out of a log splitter I think ? For his knife making business. 

Yes mate I looked into it but you need a big old log splitter to convert. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, riohog said:

i apreciate the skills involved in forging  , but with modern steels , especially the high end stuff  there is no benefit whatsow=ever in foging to shape , unless you are making pattern welded billetts  :thumbs:

The benefit for me is saying I made the knife from scratch ... anybody with a 4 1/2 dis cutter can cut a knife shape out of steel file a bevel in and viola you have a knife .... I get immense pleasure and satisfaction form taking a lump of metal and turning it into a knife ... each to their own but that’s just me .......

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, socks said:

The benefit for me is saying I made the knife from scratch ... anybody with a 4 1/2 dis cutter can cut a knife shape out of steel file a bevel in and viola you have a knife .... I get immense pleasure and satisfaction form taking a lump of metal and turning it into a knife ... each to their own but that’s just me .......

yes mate i apreciate that i hear you , what i ment is technicly there is no benefit forging modern steels .yes done correctly with known steels , ,stress relieved and heat treated correctly it can produce a good product  

11 minutes ago, riohog said:

yes mate i apreciate that i hear you , what i ment is technicly there is no benefit forging modern steels .yes done correctly with known steels , ,stress relieved and heat treated correctly it can produce a good product  

I’ve been testing loads of ways of heat treating and I’ve got it down to where I’m producing a real hard blade now. Chopping into bone and not leaving a mark on my edges .......

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, socks said:

I’ve been testing loads of ways of heat treating and I’ve got it down to where I’m producing a real hard blade now. Chopping into bone and not leaving a mark on my edges .......

not rocket science ken with carbon steels    heat till non magnetic  quench in veg oil  clean scale off and give or take abit   temper at 200deg c for an hour :thumbs:

1 minute ago, riohog said:

not rocket science ken with carbon steels    heat till non magnetic  quench in veg oil  clean scale off and give or take abit   temper at 200deg c for an hour :thumbs:

Not exactly that easy when your using Steele of unknown carbon like a digger blade or leaf spring. I never temper I thermo cycle the blades and quench In heated oil ...... 

2 minutes ago, socks said:

Not exactly that easy when your using Steele of unknown carbon like a digger blade or leaf spring. I never temper I thermo cycle the blades and quench In heated oil ...... 

yes i understand  ,whatever works for you differential temper  or whatever  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, riohog said:

f..k the cow horn handle get them bevells right ?  lol

8 hours ago, riohog said:

stop your excuses  soldier  , just get them right 8)

Yeah, what he said. A bit agricultural.

Just now, Meece said:

Yeah, what he said. A bit agricultural.

It has to be cow horn as it’s going into an auction as a matched item with something else. 

1 hour ago, socks said:

I bet it’s great stress relief workout, you could go an hit shit out of a bag for half hour but doing this leaves you with a finished product that can earn you some pocket money as well ?