I know there’s a few lads on here that are into their mountain biking and was after a bit of advice on what would be a half decent bike to start on, had a Hardtail Cube 5 or 6 years ago but just hadn’t the time to get out what with the dogs and a young family but now the kids are up a bit have bit more spare time. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Edited by dogmandont

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not me but my lad 

What about peterhunters mrs ? 

That’s why you buy from 2 towns over ?

Posted Images

Only advice I can give is don’t buy new loads of decent bikes on gumtree,eBay and face book selling pages, 

i went out on my mine first time other week on probably 2 years ? 

but I’ve only got a specialized Hardrock . 

Ive been thinking of a  bike with suspension fork to take the sting out of the bumps now in getting older . 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Only advice I can give is don’t buy new loads of decent bikes on gumtree,eBay and face book selling pages, 

Ive been thinking of a  bike with suspension fork to take the sting out of the bumps now in getting older . 

Have been looking at secondhand on the usual places but don’t really know what I’m looking at. Lol. 

Dogman as forest says, buy second hand, depends how much your willing to spend, I got a giant second hand bike for 150, never thought there was aa difference until I rode them, don't get suspension bike whatever ye do lol

8 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Have been looking at secondhand on the usual places but don’t really know what I’m looking at. Lol. 

Look for brands like norco , trek,Marin , kona , specialized , Carreras from Halfords seem to suffer with poor instore setup and cheap fittings that rust . Though if you are prepared to replace stuff when it fails they can be ok, 

ive actually been thinking of a Carrera Crossfire 2 hybrid for light off-road use like brideways . 

£50-£200 will sort you with decent bike 

wiggle the crank for play , use the front brake only if the frame/forks slip around headset could be worn lift each end up spin the wheels for buckles etc 

6 minutes ago, Francie said:

Dogman as forest says, buy second hand, depends how much your willing to spend, I got a giant second hand bike for 150, never thought there was aa difference until I rode them, don't get suspension bike whatever ye do lol

I’m heading out in the morning with lads that are all riding full suspension bikes in the 2k to 3k price range and I’ll be on a 6 year old Hardtail Cube it’s definitely going to get interesting on the downhills. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I’m heading out in the morning with lads that are all riding full suspension bikes in the 2k to 3k price range and I’ll be on a 6 year old Hardtail Cube it’s definitely going to get interesting on the downhills. 

Good luck lad,I ment the cheap suspension youl be bouncing back down hill lol

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I’ve owned mine for 8 years I think, and it was old when I bought it ?

Go to your local independent bike shop, if they're any good they'll sort you with the right bike for what you want. Might pay a bit more but hopefully after sales care etc will be a factor, otherwise it'll have to be Halfords ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Go to your local independent bike shop, if they're any good they'll sort you with the right bike for what you want. Might pay a bit more but hopefully after sales care etc will be a factor, otherwise it'll have to be Halfords ?

Cheers, D.

I have a niece that is an area manager for Halfords and can get me a really good discount on stuff but I’ll still not be buying from there. Lol. 

1 minute ago, dogmandont said:

I have a niece that is an area manager for Halfords and can get me a really good discount on stuff but I’ll still not be buying from there. Lol. 

Suppose it depends on your mindset, I've been mad keen on it for 30 years.

Cheers, D.

2 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Suppose it depends on your mindset, I've been mad keen on it for 30 years.

Cheers, D.

Would like to get a half decent full suspension but with a budget of up to about £700 it’ll probably have to be a secondhand bike. 

1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I paid £1200 for a Kona Manomano in 2002. This one is on Ebay, exactly the same, apart from mine's blue, for 300 notes.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Kona-Manomano-Full-Suspension-Mountain-Bike/283450038151?hash=item41fef05787:g:hA4AAOSwHOlcsXxW