Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not me but my lad 

What about peterhunters mrs ? 

That’s why you buy from 2 towns over ?

Posted Images

2 hours ago, dytkos said:

£600 you'll get a stonker, £300 will buy you a good bike s/h, it's just knowing what your looking at tbh

Cheers. D.

I'm looking at getting something for Finley mate, don't want to spend too much as you know what kids are like with fads... he's been doing mountain biking with school (the outside ed there is great and that's right up his street) he's really taken with the biking though, I've said I'll get him something half decent, £300 if about what I want to pay...any pointers would be most appreciated mate...I've looked on eBay but it's minefield as far as I'm concerned, as I'm clueless!!

5 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

He's a tall lad, probably 5ft 9 or so already... so it will be an adult bike he'll need

I’ve got a pile of mountain bikes here if you want them mate. A bit of father son time and out of the three bikes you could make a cracker ...

B0624D4C-B952-4229-932A-FF5C8F90D6FD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, socks said:

I’ve got a pile of mountain bikes here if you want them mate. A bit of father son time and out of the three bikes you could make a cracker ...

B0624D4C-B952-4229-932A-FF5C8F90D6FD.jpeg

Thank you mate, thats really kind...my shed looks similar...lots of bikes that all need something doing to them...

I was going to try and get him something half decent and ready to go....

I'll give you a bell tomorrow anyway...

Cheers

Pile of scrap there Ken tbh, old fashioned headsets etc etc, ask Fin what his mates ride, tell him to have a borrow and see what he fancies.

Prob better to give him a budget of about a ton of so less than your prepared to spend then when you go a bit over he'll be made up ?

All the main brands are decent, think Specialized Rockhopper, stuff in that ballpark and you won't go far wrong, use your local MTB dealer, maybe even Partridge.

Worst thing ever is to get him a bike he doesn't want cos dad knows best, get him something he'll want to ride.

Good luck. Cheers, D.

30 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Pile of scrap there Ken tbh, old fashioned headsets etc etc, ask Fin what his mates ride, tell him to have a borrow and see what he fancies.

Prob better to give him a budget of about a ton of so less than your prepared to spend then when you go a bit over he'll be made up ?

All the main brands are decent, think Specialized Rockhopper, stuff in that ballpark and you won't go far wrong, use your local MTB dealer, maybe even Partridge.

Worst thing ever is to get him a bike he doesn't want cos dad knows best, get him something he'll want to ride.

Good luck. Cheers, D.

Cheers D,

I certainly don't know best on bikes...in fact I wonder what I do know best on these days lol....

I know some of the kids have some real expensive bikes, they are racing every week etc, they've been going up Holdan and doing some of the red courses...he seems to have the bug... 

I'll go into partridge and have a look and get there advice and like you say he can try out his mates bikes as well...

• Like 1
On 03/05/2019 at 22:12, forest of dean redneck said:

I bought a kona in 2017 off old couple who’s son had rode  it years ago then left it in the barn and they were moving, paid £50 sold it for £80 when I split and moved back down Dorset as was desperate for cash ?

B884F2D2-DB65-48FA-A8AC-50228D66A916.jpeg

Nooooo!, that's mental cheap. Someone got a bargain.

15 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Cheers D,

I certainly don't know best on bikes...in fact I wonder what I do know best on these days lol....

I know some of the kids have some real expensive bikes, they are racing every week etc, they've been going up Holdan and doing some of the red courses...he seems to have the bug... 

I'll go into partridge and have a look and get there advice and like you say he can try out his mates bikes as well...

I've a Gary fisher cake 3,  not used in a few months so needs a little oil, air and fork juice, few years old but decent bike, a classic of its time, £100 in north Devon if you want a well made full suspension for your lad before spending big money. post-2025-0-18544100-1468238815_thumb.jpg

Image result for gary fisher cake 3

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, sandymere said:

I've a Gary fisher cake 3,  not used in a few months so needs a little oil, air and fork juice, few years old but decent bike, a classic of its time, £100 in north Devon if you want a well made full suspension for your lad before spending big money. post-2025-0-18544100-1468238815_thumb.jpg

Thank you mate, that sounds perfect to me...

I'll have a yap with him after school and pm you later..

Thanks

Kev

• Like 2
11 hours ago, sandymere said:

?

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Proper bargain and a bit more in your price range

Screenshot_20190509-094055_eBay.jpg

Have it on my watch list ds. Most I’ve contacted about arranging a courier don’t want to know. This bike is pretty local and the lad has came down another £150, can’t go have a look till Sunday as he’s on holiday. 

908B45D1-B84E-4BF2-9C10-81C60ACA7A6D.jpeg

• Like 1