.22lr ammo testing

The Firearms Act 1968 (as amended) prohibits the possession of expanding ammunition.

However, Section 5A(4) allows a condition to be added to a firearm certificate for possession of expanding ammunition for:

the lawful shooting of deer

the shooting of vermin or, in the case of carrying on activities in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife

the humane killing of animals

the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found myself with an afternoon free, so, decided that I needed to get some rounds though my cz .22lr at 50yards, take my time to go back over brands I’d pied off. This will be photo heavy, so apologis

I actually rate the Magtech HP subs, but not easy to find these days and not cheap anymore either.  Accurate and big HP which expands well. Not used the heavier Winchesters but the old ones had a

Your comment seems to have taken on a life of its own.   As I suggested earlier you are taking the piss, either that or pig ignorant, SOLID AMMO IS ALLOWED FOR PEST CONTROL. As far as I recall th

Posted Images

Dude, the dumb politicians and experts banned expanding ammo with the handguns.

Then they realised that went against the deer act. The deer act forbids non expanding ammo.

No other critter falls into that category thus non expanding can be used.

It is however our responsibility to be as humane as ever.

The allocation for using section 5 ammunition or missiles for other than deer is for humane reasons. Not because non expanding is illegal.

Incidentally, solid 22 ammo is lead, maybe not pure lead but lead by default is expanding.

13 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

this was changed you had to have the authority to purchase  hollow point ammunition etc for vermin control it was on your f.a.c.  if you did not you could not buy it      i have just got my fac  back after a few years but have not heard  if this has been changed  that you can use solid rimfire ammunition on vermin.  no i aint taking the piss deker

I'm not following that at all, but you always could and still can use solid ammo on ANY wildlife it is Lawful to shoot with solid.

Even on deer, (where the Deer Act 1991 specifies expanding) for the purpose of humane dispatch Solid could be shown to be lawful (under The Regulatory Reform (Deer) (England and Wales) Order 2007)

Edited by Deker
13 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

The Firearms Act 1968 (as amended) prohibits the possession of expanding ammunition.

However, Section 5A(4) allows a condition to be added to a firearm certificate for possession of expanding ammunition for:

the lawful shooting of deer

the shooting of vermin or, in the case of carrying on activities in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife

the humane killing of animals

the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans

scarecrow243, I am totally confused about what you are posting, which part of the above says, solid  ammo is not allowed  for anything but target shooting but you all know this dont you

Hi Deker    i and the gun shops  and the firearms departments around this area are all wrong   i posted this on the pw site as well and everyone is saying the opposite  from what we all were told  that you were not allowed to use solid ammo on vermin any more around  1996  -- 1998

Edited by scarecrow243
year
26 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi Deker    i and the gun shops  and the firearms departments around this area are all wrong   i posted this on the pw site as well and everyone is saying the opposite  from what we all were told  that you were not allowed to use solid ammo on vermin anymore

I really thought you were joking when you first said solid  ammo is not allowed  for anything but target shooting but you all know this dont you.

What has led your region and local RFD to believe this is beyond me!

Interestingly, things don't work like that the other way round, the use of Expanding ammo for target use is not a valid reason to acquire it.

Section 10(2)(b) of the 1997 Act amends section 5A(4)(b) of the 1968 Act so that the use of expanding ammunition is in connection with the various exempted purposes. This allows, for example, a deer stalker or vermin shooter to zero with their rifle on a range or other suitable land and to do sufficient training and testing with the expanding ammunition. It does not allow them to take part in target shooting or any competitions using expanding ammunition.

Really is time to get this thread back on topic.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi Deker    i and the gun shops  and the firearms departments around this area are all wrong   i posted this on the pw site as well and everyone is saying the opposite  from what we all were told  that you were not allowed to use solid ammo on vermin any more around  1996  -- 1998

Pigeon watch, yeah, they booted me out for speaking the truth. Like double standards of a moderator on there!

Loads of experts on there to completely dry yet brain for ya ?

Although I have committed to the sk’s, only having sub 1000 rounds with no more that I can find, I’ve gone back to look at the eley hp subs that grouped better, but suffered more with flyers. 

I still had a few leftover, and picking through them, a few bullets felt loose in the brass. Would this account for the flyers? 

3 hours ago, Dave_4 said:

Although I have committed to the sk’s, only having sub 1000 rounds with no more that I can find, I’ve gone back to look at the eley hp subs that grouped better, but suffered more with flyers. 

I still had a few leftover, and picking through them, a few bullets felt loose in the brass. Would this account for the flyers? 

Quite possibly mate.

Just to clarify, there is no law saying that solid ammo can only be used on targets. There isn't even a distinction between expanding and non-expanding on your FAC any more and anyone can buy expanding if they have that calibre listed on their ticket.

Obviously expanding ammo is preferable to use on live game  but it certainly isn't compulsory,. If it was, airgunners would break the law every time they shot a rabbit. Reading above that firearms departments and gunshops think it is compulsory is ridiculous. Surely they should know the law surrounding their own job. Making it up as they go along isn't the law. If my FEO or gunshop told me that, I'd ask them to show me the relevant legislation in black and white, and well....they couldn't as it doesn't exist.

Not having a go at anyone on here, it just winds me up when FEOs make stuff up as they go along.

4 hours ago, walshie said:

Just to clarify, there is no law saying that solid ammo can only be used on targets. There isn't even a distinction between expanding and non-expanding on your FAC any more and anyone can buy expanding if they have that calibre listed on their ticket.

Obviously expanding ammo is preferable to use on live game  but it certainly isn't compulsory,. If it was, airgunners would break the law every time they shot a rabbit. Reading above that firearms departments and gunshops think it is compulsory is ridiculous. Surely they should know the law surrounding their own job. Making it up as they go along isn't the law. If my FEO or gunshop told me that, I'd ask them to show me the relevant legislation in black and white, and well....they couldn't as it doesn't exist.

Not having a go at anyone on here, it just winds me up when FEOs make stuff up as they go along.

Yeah, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one but when the arseholes start spouting their opinions....well then we are in an even bigger world of .......

8 hours ago, walshie said:

You are bang on with that walshie ?