.22lr ammo testing

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 22:47, Meece said:

When I'm zeroing my 223 at about 100 paces I lay on the ground prone using a Harris bipod. One hand is on the stock neck and the other is crossed over on the underside heel of the stock. Considering how rigid and solid this position is, the sheer blood pulse in my body causes the cross hairs on the Leupold scope to move from one side to the other of the target dot which is about 2cm diameter. Although there is this natural movement  the bullets form a tight group about the size of the dot. I'm  accurate enough to be confident to take a 300 pace shot.  Should it be necessary to take a shot at this distance but generally I use fieldcraft to get target distance down to about eighty paces or less. I am a reasonably good shot and again feel confident to take a rabbit head shot with my 22lr at seventy to eighty paces Free hand.

You're a better man than me, I go out of my way to avoid freehand at all costs, although needs must sometimes, but that's a long way with a .22lr in any circumstances.

:thumbs:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found myself with an afternoon free, so, decided that I needed to get some rounds though my cz .22lr at 50yards, take my time to go back over brands I’d pied off. This will be photo heavy, so apologis

I actually rate the Magtech HP subs, but not easy to find these days and not cheap anymore either.  Accurate and big HP which expands well. Not used the heavier Winchesters but the old ones had a

Your comment seems to have taken on a life of its own.   As I suggested earlier you are taking the piss, either that or pig ignorant, SOLID AMMO IS ALLOWED FOR PEST CONTROL. As far as I recall th

Posted Images

A bit more testing this time 100 yards indoor five shot groups. Eley hp’s, Norma hp’s, SK hp’s and CCI segmented hp’s

40820255533_53fc506dd7_b.jpg

32843057037_db4e3301ed_b.jpg 40820255553_c4b5a89535_b.jpg 40820255543_8aea06df5c_b.jpg

I like the SK’s, if it wasn’t for the flyers eley would be hands down winners. 

On 07/05/2019 at 10:03, Dave_4 said:

After all of that, and planning on going with the SK, I find out it’s been discontinued ?ffs!

I haven’t seen any sk hollowpoints for a couple of years, yours must have been old stock?  The sk standard plus are probably even more accurate, still available, but solid of course.

14 minutes ago, Dave_4 said:

@Rimfireboy! I bought the 950 rounds that shop had left. What’s the view on solid rounds for hunting? If you’re going for head shoots, it doesn’t matter, does it? 

We all used solid years back, there was little choice then, and we seemed to be able to stop rabbits etc with them.

But we all used stones and sticks and clubs and bows etc etc years back as well, they all worked after a fashion, but times change and so has ammo!

:thumbs:

38 minutes ago, Dave_4 said:

@Rimfireboy! I bought the 950 rounds that shop had left. What’s the view on solid rounds for hunting? If you’re going for head shoots, it doesn’t matter, does it? 

True, if you head shoot them, which I try to do anyway, it’s not a problem. Wherever you hit them with solids, they’ll probably pass through. I’ve never found a solid .22 rimfire bullet in a rabbit anyway. I’ll happily shoot rabbits with .22 solids, always did years ago.

• Thanks 1

solid  ammo is not allowed  for anything but target shooting but you all know this dont you

the law changed years ago about using solid .22lr  ammo  it was changed to use hollow point ammo on rabbits etc.   i havent heard this has been changed back again   i know it changed for couriers carrying hollow points and expanding ammunition

14 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

solid  ammo is not allowed  for anything but target shooting but you all know this dont you

the law changed years ago about using solid .22lr  ammo  it was changed to use hollow point ammo on rabbits etc.   i havent heard this has been changed back again   i know it changed for couriers carrying hollow points and expanding ammunition

Your comment seems to have taken on a life of its own.   As I suggested earlier you are taking the piss, either that or pig ignorant, SOLID AMMO IS ALLOWED FOR PEST CONTROL.

As far as I recall there was never a Law about ONLY using Solid on rabbits etc. 

HP/expanding have been around for donkeys but were never commonly available for pest control and only very few were made.   Their effectiveness and availability increased steadily and became the norm for Pest Control some years back.

Time to get this thread back on topic!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this was changed you had to have the authority to purchase  hollow point ammunition etc for vermin control it was on your f.a.c.  if you did not you could not buy it      i have just got my fac  back after a few years but have not heard  if this has been changed  that you can use solid rimfire ammunition on vermin.  no i aint taking the piss deker