Upgraded the kids goldfish pond

I don’t know much about fish ponds only ever having had anything to do with lakes.

But from the little I do know, I think a pond is an ongoing labour of work.

Pal of mine spent thousands on his pond and pump system, but he still wound up having to give it a good clean out a few times every summer.

I don’t think it’s one of those things you can sit back and say “well that’s done, I can forget about that”

In the lakes we used to put bales of barley straw to try and keep blooms sensible, now obviously I know you can’t put a bale of straw in a garden pond but I wonder if smaller, tightly packed balls that you could make yourself would help a bit? 

Theres even blooms in the sea off littlehampton at the moment so I suppose it’s inevitable that something as small as a pond will suffer too.

• Like 4

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found this on ebay half price kids love it and alot more space for the fish had the little barrell before this is much bigger and a bargain at 150 

It's amazing how quickly all kinds of wildlife will come in when a pond is added to a garden, I made this small pond and put six shubunkin in, lost one this year the rest are still going strong over f

It's going to be clad in decking when I get hold of some. The fish are happy and the waters clear which is the main thing.  They get a water change every time it rains.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, WILF said:

I don’t know much about fish ponds only ever having had anything to do with lakes.

Pal of mine spent thousands on his pond and pump system, but he still wound up having to give it a good clean out a few times every summer.

I don’t think it’s one of those things you can sit back and say “well that’s done, I can forget about that”

In the lakes we used to put bales of barley straw to try and keep blooms sensible, now obviously I know you can’t put a bale of straw in a garden pond but I wonder if smaller, tightly packed balls that you could make yourself would help a bit? 

Theres even blooms in the sea off littlehampton at the moment so I suppose it’s inevitable that something as small as a pond will suffer too.

You can put little bits of barley in garden ponds to help stop green water but most people just go for the uv 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Lily's on mines doing good as well. Fish are alot more active and come right up when you go to feed them. Water looks a bit dark bit I think it's just the colour of the barrel.

20190710_175354.jpg

My lily hasnt flowered atall? Get a small filter mate bit of water moving about. 

6 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Looking back mines must be dirty . Cant even see the pirate ship thing at the bottom and more. Maybe empty half the water this weekend and put fresh in

They reckon weekends the worst time for a water change as that's when the tap water has its highest concentration of chlorine. 

On 15/05/2019 at 10:36, WILF said:

Same every year wilf, may bloom covers the whole coast 

• Like 1