Attracting Badgers

Another little thing I noticed last year during the really hot weather they seemed reluctant to go below ground in some places don’t no if it’s down to infestations of parasites or just to hot but the deer and badger pic was middle of day in all the heat and I also bumped into one out at 10 am in the middle of a field asleep under some dead grass, Johnny kingdom used to have a badger assault course on his land and they were encouraged to use it with trails of peanuts though again he is in the south were we seem to have a lot more than were zandy is, can’t wait to see your pics mate have no doubt you will excel as you have in your other endeavours ???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Greyman said:

I,ve checked setts daily years back in all weathers and during periods of real cold they can stay below ground for a few weeks without coming out, Zandi is also a lot further north than me and I think they are a bit thinner on the ground, people round me just put peanuts in the garden and film them through the patio doors ??

Seems there country cousins aren't as out going as the townie one lol

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Another little thing I noticed last year during the really hot weather they seemed reluctant to go below ground in some places don’t no if it’s down to infestations of parasites or just to hot but the deer and badger pic was middle of day in all the heat and I also bumped into one out at 10 am in the middle of a field asleep under some dead grass, Johnny kingdom used to have a badger assault course on his land and they were encouraged to use it with trails of peanuts though again he is in the south were we seem to have a lot more than were zandy is, can’t wait to see your pics mate have no doubt you will excel as you have in your other endeavours ???

He was some character, think the hide he built is a bit overkill mind ha ha...

It could take me all spring/summer but I’ll get my photos, time to order another trailcam too.. cheers pal.

3 hours ago, zandy01 said:

It could take me all spring/summer but I’ll get my photos, time to order another trailcam too.. cheers pal.

Met johnny afew times and there's no acting for the camera,thats how he is.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

I used to watch them at HW dene, had three big cubs come to within about five foot of me one time, and have seen as many as seven or eight they've got poor eyesight, the sett doesn't look as well used as it once did, but a nice local place for you to try

I did wonder if they’d be a sett or two there but such a big area, what’s the chances of having a wander and you showing me where it is ???

14 hours ago, zandy01 said:

If your after a trail cam, the apeman is a good one at the moment mate retailing at over £100 a year ago now £46 on Amazon , they have a much larger video file than any others I have and will take 3mins of video as opposed to the 20/30 seconds you get on most other cameras, though I tend to set them slower as I,m after passing trade but if you can get the badgers feeding a 3min film would be nice 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Greyman said:

If your after a trail cam, the apeman is a good one at the moment mate retailing at over £100 a year ago now £46 on Amazon , they have a much larger video file than any others I have and will take 3mins of video as opposed to the 20/30 seconds you get on most other cameras, though I tend to set them slower as I,m after passing trade but if you can get the badgers feeding a 3min film would be nice 

Thanks mate, I’ve got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Wildlife-Infrared-Security-Surveillance-Green/dp/B074FVPTRQ and well happy with it, was just going to buy another the same but you reckon the Apeman is better value ???

1 minute ago, zandy01 said:

Thanks mate, I’ve got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Wildlife-Infrared-Security-Surveillance-Green/dp/B074FVPTRQ and well happy with it, was just going to buy another the same but you reckon the Apeman is better value ???

I do have a few of those ones as well mate as you say a good camera, but yes the apeman is more in the browning, stealthcam catagory of camera at the Chinese end of the price range, and the 3minute video could be more useful for you over a baited spot, my problem round here is avoiding badgers as there are so many, a crossing point on a stream is always a good funnel point, I had a cam on a plank over a ditch a couple of years ago, it was like a black and white convoy from dark to dusk, anyway good luck ??

• Like 1