Attracting Badgers

Hi all,

can anyone tell me the best way to attract badgers please as I do a lot of wildlife photography and would love to capture them on camera.

Ive been monitoring a sett for past week and put a good amount of peanuts and fruit out but nothing eaten.

Definitely an active sett as I’ve got them on trailcam, seen one and fresh scat in latrines but I’m wanting to photograph them.

Any help or advice appreciated.

My friend used to put malt loaf down for them. It clags up their mouths so they hang around while trying to clear the roof of their gobs.

Edited by Nicepix
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Guys doing the cull use peanuts , not KP or the salted varieties, just the kind you put out for birds in the garden . You say you have been trying for a week ? Not maybe long enough. Think about where you want to photograph them and it doesn’t have to be on top of the sett , then leave the peanuts out for them there they go mad for them.....apparently . The trick is to poke them in the ground, they then have to dig them up which gives you time , it also stops birds from eating them . Apparently pheasants love them too . So bait the area until you see the claw marks and signs that they have found them . Then you should be successful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Guys doing the cull use peanuts , not KP or the salted varieties, just the kind you put out for birds in the garden . You say you have been trying for a week ? Not maybe long enough. Think about where you want to photograph them and it doesn’t have to be on top of the sett , then leave the peanuts out for them there they go mad for them.....apparently . The trick is to poke them in the ground, they then have to dig them up which gives you time , it also stops birds from eating them . Apparently pheasants love them too . So bait the area until you see the claw marks and signs that they have found them . Then you should be successful.

• Like 1

Shovel leaner is right red skin peanuts, laid down regularly over a few evenings will draw them in, used to have an allotment opposite my house were I had a load of bird feeders up, I could take the kids over any night of the week and show them live badgers under the feeders mopping up the nuts, prof Steven Harris of Bristol uni has cage trapped hundreds if not thousands of badgers round me for his study,s and when ever I used to find the traps floor would be covered in p nuts ??

043DD270-D4C1-42FD-B97B-691C4CD9D0F5.jpeg

E63D5CBD-08D1-4232-A493-B1814E816824.jpeg

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ive tried afew times to photograph them , they seem very wary , I think the ones you see on the telly and pics are fairly tame 

A friend though photographs them been using peanuts probabily about a year and there still quite flighty so he uses a telephoto lens and stays down wind as they on there sense off smell to  detect danger 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Ive tried afew times to photograph them , they seem very wary , I think the ones you see on the telly and pics are fairly tame 

A friend though photographs them been using peanuts probabily about a year and there still quite flighty so he uses a telephoto lens and stays down wind as they on there sense off smell to  detect danger 

I,ve checked setts daily years back in all weathers and during periods of real cold they can stay below ground for a few weeks without coming out, Zandi is also a lot further north than me and I think they are a bit thinner on the ground, people round me just put peanuts in the garden and film them through the patio doors ??

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies gents, some good tips and some are just not my bag...

I know from experience it’ll take some amount of effort and patience but I’ll get there, I’ve put peanuts and fruit down, also smeared some logs with peanut butter and fish oil so hopefully get some image in the coming months...

Its definitely active ?

BCDF8875-DE93-4B37-B2BB-6E9D744A8E34.jpeg

1 hour ago, zandy01 said:

Thanks for all the replies gents, some good tips and some are just not my bag...

I know from experience it’ll take some amount of effort and patience but I’ll get there, I’ve put peanuts and fruit down, also smeared some logs with peanut butter and fish oil so hopefully get some image in the coming months...

Its definitely active ?

BCDF8875-DE93-4B37-B2BB-6E9D744A8E34.jpeg

I was out waiting on a chicken killing fox one time and a half grown badger came out of earth and sat on my boot. Another time I seen a fox fighting a badger in full battle at the mouth of the entrance .

• Like 1