Jibb or more time

Give until next season mate, maybe baying due to frustration of cubs up tight tubes, as said before seen good dogs look like plugs in these circumstances, nothing wrong with a hole end or two but don’t make it a regular acurance as too many can make them not want to search, good luck with her??

On 22/04/2019 at 20:55, scorpion156 said:

long post and also new to terrier work so please bear with me.

I have a new to be terrier bitch. had her a couple of months and she should be 13 months old according to the bloke she's from.

a friend of mine has been loosing lambs this week and asked if I wanted to try my bitch as it's a shallow place.

we got there and he said his lurcher was marking, all be it a bit half hearted but he was pretty confident that there was someone home.

collered her up and she went in fairly keen.

few mins later we would hear her baying at .6 so thaught we were on. moving slightly so assumed she was digging on a bit to get to it.

we were going to leave it 10 mins for her to settle before we started digging. next min mate shouts look up she's moving it might bolt with that she appeared and then went back. didn't hear anything more whilst she went through and when she came back out she wasn't keen to go back. no smell on her or marks.

not sure what to think. I'm disappointed because I thaught she was on and I was chuffed but then it's her first entry and all she has seen is a dead red one.

obviously I know not all dogs make it and I'm fine with doing the right thing if that's the case but at the same time I don't want to jump the gun and I want to give her a fair chance.

I was going to leave her the summer and chain her at a few beginning of the season but I thaught i would try her seeing it was such a shallow place.

one last thing is when we were leaving I cleared the hols of sticks and stuff and we found a dead lamb just inside the hole. didn't look dates so unsure if it was stuffed down there or if it was dragged there but mate said hopefully the lurcher wasn't smelling the lamb.

opinions wanted no matter how brutal.

thanks all and sorry again for the long post.

Scorpion you are obviously green to terrier work, but we all started at sometime or other. Many of us don’t start our “pups” until 16 or 17 months preferring to hold them back. A pup matures an awful lot between 12 months and 2 years in their short life. Different animal between those ages. Have patience and leave them make their puppy mistakes for they are only kids at that age! There is far too much bravado in this game with people full of dismal wisdom that has been to the detriment of many a young prospect. Sometimes I think the dogs are more intelligent that than the lads holding the lead. Patience costs you nothing. Sometimes people at in far too much of a hurry to prove themselves right and they can’t be wrong when the dog is gone???? ?‍♂️

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

First class post Corkman .

Cubs can and do make a terrier look well below it’s worth and in company you are onto a loser before you even collar up the dog .Only had one decent bitch on cubs and she was tiny ,my Tilly bitch .

The only way to persevere with a larger dog is basically to destroy the earth they are in by trenching on and following tubes ,a practice I hate but have done when trapping the unfortunate cubs has come a blank .You wouldn’t believe how tight cubs can get in ,smaller than your fist .

Like others have said ,this isn’t the time of year for starting a dog ,neither is hole ending in any shape or form .

Let the youngster teach you ,if it’s bred right , it will know more about the game than you do .

Let the dog find it’s own hole to enter ,just you and the dog in an easy place ,no fuss ,no pushing ,no bollocking .

Forget any other entering practice mate ,you are just geeing the dog up needlessly .

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Corkman said:

Scorpion you are obviously green to terrier work, but we all started at sometime or other. Many of us don’t start our “pups” until 16 or 17 months preferring to hold them back. A pup matures an awful lot between 12 months and 2 years in their short life. Different animal between those ages. Have patience and leave them make their puppy mistakes for they are only kids at that age! There is far too much bravado in this game with people full of dismal wisdom that has been to the detriment of many a young prospect. Sometimes I think the dogs are more intelligent that than the lads holding the lead. Patience costs you nothing. Sometimes people at in far too much of a hurry to prove themselves right and they can’t be wrong when the dog is gone???? ?‍♂️

hi. yes new to terrier work. been on a few digs with others but this is my first terrier of my own. like I said I don't want to rush her and I am conscious if ruining her early. I'll take the advice on here and keep her back till next season and try her again somewhere shallow. thanks all

On 23/04/2019 at 21:36, Corkman said:

Good post, also every single pup although being litter mates will be unique individuals.. all wired genetically the same  but some being quicker to catch on to certain things than others and the environment there grew up in... 3-days to 12 weeks, no stress clean quiet environment and introduced to humans..12 _ 16 weeks jagged introduced to terrier boxes leads and the van... outside environment and each one introduced singularly at different times to different family members house pets to socialize with different dogs... 

16 weeks to about 20 months it gets mostly road walked up motorways...taken to fields with older terriers to sniff act a terrier pup and meet livestock, obedience, lead walking and to be honest encountering everything.. thats associated with terrier work... but without terrier work if that makes sense?.

Also I never enter a terrier... when all above has been carried out and you can read a TERRIER and not a book...

A terrier will self enter and when it does.. and if competently done... on break through... breaking stick please... 

Edited by stop.end
  • Like 1
On 22/04/2019 at 19:33, scorpion156 said:

unfortunately we only had her so couldn't verify. hoping she's a good one so was just a bit disappointed 

I'd just be happy me dog went down the feckin hole mate ... keep hold of it...come good in the season