Jibb or more time

long post and also new to terrier work so please bear with me.

I have a new to be terrier bitch. had her a couple of months and she should be 13 months old according to the bloke she's from.

a friend of mine has been loosing lambs this week and asked if I wanted to try my bitch as it's a shallow place.

we got there and he said his lurcher was marking, all be it a bit half hearted but he was pretty confident that there was someone home.

collered her up and she went in fairly keen.

few mins later we would hear her baying at .6 so thaught we were on. moving slightly so assumed she was digging on a bit to get to it.

we were going to leave it 10 mins for her to settle before we started digging. next min mate shouts look up she's moving it might bolt with that she appeared and then went back. didn't hear anything more whilst she went through and when she came back out she wasn't keen to go back. no smell on her or marks.

not sure what to think. I'm disappointed because I thaught she was on and I was chuffed but then it's her first entry and all she has seen is a dead red one.

obviously I know not all dogs make it and I'm fine with doing the right thing if that's the case but at the same time I don't want to jump the gun and I want to give her a fair chance.

I was going to leave her the summer and chain her at a few beginning of the season but I thaught i would try her seeing it was such a shallow place.

one last thing is when we were leaving I cleared the hols of sticks and stuff and we found a dead lamb just inside the hole. didn't look dates so unsure if it was stuffed down there or if it was dragged there but mate said hopefully the lurcher wasn't smelling the lamb.

opinions wanted no matter how brutal.

thanks all and sorry again for the long post.

could be cubs that she couldn't get too???you will never know unless you used an experienced dog after....dogs still young,it's too warm,and digging cubs in the summertime can make a good dog look shite....leave her till next season is my advice ?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
32 minutes ago, scorpion156 said:

unfortunately we only had her so couldn't verify. hoping she's a good one so was just a bit disappointed 

Best way to ruin a pup is to start on cubs. If they are in tight spots wriggling around up in to rat holes then the pup will come away. It's a bad start for a pup to make it exceptable to come away. The pup is confused and doesn't know how to find or dig on yet at that age. Without been cheeky I'd put the fault down to you and not the pup. I've seen experienced dogs that looked stupid digging cubs and any other day they excelled. You can't expect a full grown terrier to fit where even a rabbit can't. Bad habits like that can convince a pup that it's ok to walk away. Don't dig cubs full stop. If it's pest control they are easy got without destroying a young prospect. I've seen lamb killers and found the cubs. Take out the vixen and her mate first and the cubs are then handy when they get hungry. I wouldn't destroy a young terrier wasting my time with cubs. I've shot 3 of them and the 4th stayed looking until I reloaded. I hated doing it but 50 chickens later I didn't want them to starve after I was after killing Mammy and daddy. Pest control is harsh and gets you permission but if you want to work a terrier then start in September with stuff it can get to or you will ruin your pup.

• Like 9

Maybe Charlie got out or bolted and you and your mate didn’t see it . No terrier that believes the fox has bolted would be keen to go back to ground . I’ve seen foxes peeping then creeping out . The fact is you don’t know 100% so don’t give up yet . As a rule of thumb I was told 3 strikes and they are out . 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Maybe Charlie got out or bolted and you and your mate didn’t see it . No terrier that believes the fox has bolted would be keen to go back to ground . I’ve seen foxes peeping then creeping out . The fact is you don’t know 100% so don’t give up yet . As a rule of thumb I was told 3 strikes and they are out . 

Some dogs need time I would not right a young dog off after 3 strikes I'd give next season ago then 3 strikes then out 

• Like 1

I’ve never been that ruthless myself either. Though I know some who have not tolerated any sign of weakness or have displayed traits they consider undesirable. I have a dog now who would not have lasted five minutes with some , but I liked the dog and he did have some good points , I gave him time and although not a world beater he always puts a shift in . Like others have said , give it the summer off and try next season. 

thanks for all the replies. hopefully she comes good else I'm without one for the season.  got a pup conning in a couple months. just going to keep giving her rats and hopefully show her a few behind a shovel if we get any more call outs and see how she is come September 

43 minutes ago, scorpion156 said:

thanks for all the replies. hopefully she comes good else I'm without one for the season.  got a pup conning in a couple months. just going to keep giving her rats and hopefully show her a few behind a shovel if we get any more call outs and see how she is come September 

Hole ending a big no for me don't do it learn dog nowt do it to many times dog thinks fox is 2 foot in an don't work full earth to find dog needs to use its nose 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1