Rifle cleaning after testing ammo

Hi, did have a search for something along these lines but couldn’t find an answer. 

The first ammo I put thought my cz.22lr was cci hollow points, held zero well at 60 yards with good groups out to 100. I also had a box of eley and Winchester both hollow points. 

Used up all my cci’s over the weekend so moved on to the eley and Winchester ammo. The grouping of the eley’s was horrendous along with the smell! The Winchester’s would bullseye the first round and then drop an inch for the next four, also had two rounds that never fired. 

So do I now give the barrel a good clean before going back to the cci’s? 

And what do I do with the unwanted ammo as it’s taking up my allowance. 

Cheers 

Dave

Edited by Dave_4

8 hours ago, Dave_4 said:

Hi, did have a search for something along these lines but couldn’t find an answer. 

The first ammo I put thought my cz.22lr was cci hollow points, held zero well at 60 yards with good groups out to 100. I also had a box of eley and Winchester both hollow points. 

Used up all my cci’s over the weekend so moved on to the eley and Winchester ammo. The grouping of the eley’s was horrendous along with the smell! The Winchester’s would bullseye the first round and then drop an inch for the next four, also had two rounds that never fired. 

So do I now give the barrel a good clean before going back to the cci’s? 

And what do I do with the unwanted ammo as it’s taking up my allowance. 

Cheers 

Dave

There was a similar thread recently. Every barrel is different and individual. Generally the 22lr is pretty indifferent to which ammo is used.  How much ammo have you got spare?  As for the barrel, my target rifle takes about 50 rounds through it after cleaning to stabilize so I'd just set up a target and shoot the crap out of it. You might find that suddenly it starts to group. I've known some target rifle shooters that never clean their barrels which shoot one hole groups. And we're talking shooters, shooting several times a week for 20 to thirty years ! So don't dispair to quickly.  I'm pretty sure that You can send your ticket in and get a bigger ammo allocation and it doesnt cost.  If youve got too much spare just shoòt the stuff and enjoy it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bob.243 said:

Was it 38gr 1040fps Eley's you were using? As I've read some bad reports on them.

Yep they’re the ones, terrible things covered in Vaseline and stink! The rifles zeroed at 60yards and they were hitting 3.5in right and low in a 3in group. I was expecting good things from eley as well. 

@Meece I have read about people never cleaning their rifle, but my cz shot so well out of the box I’d like to have it back that way after using the lubed up eleys. I’m not fused about the cost of the left over ammo, (70 rounds) but I only have 200 rounds on my ticket, and don’t have much use for it.

cheers

Dave

I never got on with eley and had 1 in 5 a flyer aswell as a few misfires from winnies, tend to stick with cci mini mag hvs now. I had a load of old Hornaday 17hmr I couldn't trust they got lobbed in the Atlantic just to get shut!

@Gav it’s odd, I had read good things about eley and a few YouTube videos I’ve seen people were banging on about them. Maybe just my cz doesn’t like them. 

As for the Winchester’s, I know the first round is bang on and everything after is low, but even if they were all bang on I can’t be doing with non firing rounds. 

Do you use the mini mags for hunting or target? 

Cheers

27 minutes ago, Dave_4 said:

@Gav it’s odd, I had read good things about eley and a few YouTube videos I’ve seen people were banging on about them. Maybe just my cz doesn’t like them. 

As for the Winchester’s, I know the first round is bang on and everything after is low, but even if they were all bang on I can’t be doing with non firing rounds. 

Do you use the mini mags for hunting or target? 

Cheers

I have a browning t-bolt that doesnt like eleys!?! I use them for rabbit yes, they are HV so make a crack, if you want stealth use the sub hollows they're just as good.

I'm proabably wrong as usual, but think eley may put more effort into thier match ammo, which gets them a good name. The winnies that misfired I turned them and they normally fired on another spot, leaves me to conclude inconsistancy with primer in the rim at manufacture!

The mini mags are copper coated so tend to clean and use solvent after around three boxes (three hundred), then target a few to get consistancy back.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Dave_4 said:

Yep they’re the ones, terrible things covered in Vaseline and stink! The rifles zeroed at 60yards and they were hitting 3.5in right and low in a 3in group. I was expecting good things from eley as well. 

@Meece I have read about people never cleaning their rifle, but my cz shot so well out of the box I’d like to have it back that way after using the lubed up eleys. I’m not fused about the cost of the left over ammo, (70 rounds) but I only have 200 rounds on my ticket, and don’t have much use for it.

cheers

Dave

This is all wrong the way you are going about  this.  Firstly 200 rounds ain't nearly enough on your ticket. This amount doesnt allow for any error.  Get in touch with your department and request an increase to at least 1200. This would allow you to get a 500 brick and have plenty of spare space. If youve got 70 rounds left and the cost doesn't matter  just get a cardboard box and felt tip a 10p sized dot on two angled sides and shoot the 70 rounds off in one hit. Problem solved. Then buy more. The bullet wax and the smell doesn't affect the accuracy one bit. .22lr is so accurate that all that might need is a click or two between batches.  I don't know where you are in the UK but if you were near I'd offer to come and help you.

Ps.  Don't take notice of some reports of ..... I read somewhere  ...... that someone ?..... thought ? ..... that a product had a bad name

50 minutes ago, Dave_4 said:

How many rounds should I be putting through to get back to zero? I’ve put 10 through and I’m still of by a couple of inches. Will I need to re zero the scope? 

Cheers

You can only zero if you can group. If you are shooting all over the place you can't alter the scope zero.  Bring your target to 25 paces and shoot 10 shot groups aiming all the time at the same point. When you get consistent groups then you can zero the group to the point of aim.  If you keep using different ammo,  persistently  Cleaning and moving the scope all you will end up with is confusion and a trip to the gun shop for a new rifle.  Seen this loads of times.

Thanks for your reply @Meece, I did ask for 500 rounds but was told 200 is more than enough. 

I think the thing that’s wobbled my head is that, out of the box, using the cci’s after 30 rounds I was shooting a tight group, say under a 10p at 60y. Went of shooting crows and squirrels, every time I pick up the rifle out of the cabinet I’d take a couple of shots at the target at 60y to check zero and was always good. When I used up all my cci’s got stuck into the eleys and Winchester’s the groupings were large and way off zero, so today I went and picked up some more cci’s and these are now off. I’ll get stuck into these cci’s until they group up.

Thanks again for you help ??

Edited by Dave_4
5 hours ago, Dave_4 said:

Thanks for your reply @Meece, I did ask for 500 rounds but was told 200 is more than enough. 

I think the thing that’s wobbled my head is that, out of the box, using the cci’s after 30 rounds I was shooting a tight group, say under a 10p at 60y. Went of shooting crows and squirrels, every time I pick up the rifle out of the cabinet I’d take a couple of shots at the target at 60y to check zero and was always good. When I used up all my cci’s got stuck into the eleys and Winchester’s the groupings were large and way off zero, so today I went and picked up some more cci’s and these are now off. I’ll get stuck into these cci’s until they group up.

Thanks again for you help ??

Quote...I  did ask for 500 rounds but was told 200 is more than enough..  and what criteria did they use to determine  this amount ? Get back on to them and tell them that your allocation isnt enough.  Basically if you've got 200 what's it matter if you've got 1000. You can do a lot of harm with 200. If money isn't a problem go and keep buying ammo and tell the shop to use a line per purchase and then send your full up cert cert back in for a new cert. It might also be an inconvenience to frequently travel to the shop and that's why you want a bigger allocation.