Whippet cross Deerhound

3 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

the brown hare is native according to some folk on here........?

If you go back in time when we were still connected to mainland europe, they would've been, as would've rabbits and fallow deer. I don't believe EVERYTHING here was introduced by the romans ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the issue to me is finding a good deerhound these days, and by good I mean good not ok.

Yeah thats the one.the reason i looked is because it said dave platts in the title.D.P dogs i've had.

if that whippet stud is a good working dog I would use that over a lurcher, rather than a greyhound all day long

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

i was asked just last week if i was prepared to cross my deer/wolfhound with this lads huskie.

he dog sled races and thought it might make a difference to his pack.

i declined the opportunity

He'd be wasting his time, the dreamer ?. ............... lol ?

Edited by shaaark
57 minutes ago, sandymere said:

An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc. Object name is nihms434240f2.jpg

A graph based on genetic studies ancestry of modern dogs by genetic groupings. Interesting to note the greyhound is separate from other sighthounds, thought to be a more recent development whereas those  from around the Mediterranean/asia etc are an older line. This would suggest the greyhound was developed from a predominately herding baseline perhaps when the hare and or rabbit was introduced into Britain.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3559126/

http://sloughi.tripod.com/preserving/geneticswesterbredsighthoundsgermany.html

I've read somewhere before about border collie/herding blood and greyhound ancestry ?

55 minutes ago, sandymere said:

An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc. Object name is nihms434240f2.jpg

A graph based on genetic studies ancestry of modern dogs by genetic groupings. Interesting to note the greyhound is separate from other sighthounds, thought to be a more recent development whereas those  from around the Mediterranean/asia etc are an older line. This would suggest the greyhound was developed from a predominately herding baseline perhaps when the hare and or rabbit was introduced into Britain.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3559126/

http://sloughi.tripod.com/preserving/geneticswesterbredsighthoundsgermany.html

I think our country was covered in trees wernt it, a sight hound would of been of less importance than a scent hunting type perhaps, although when and where  we got sight hounds from is irrelevant surely.

29 minutes ago, shaaark said:

If you go back in time when we were still connected to mainland europe, they would've been, as would've rabbits and fallow deer. I don't believe EVERYTHING here was introduced by the romans ?

no evidence of them before a certain point though??

24 minutes ago, two crows said:

I think our country was covered in trees wernt it, a sight hound would of been of less importance than a scent hunting type perhaps, although when and where  we got sight hounds from is irrelevant surely.

Historically  there is evidence to suggest we had large hunting hounds for deer and boar etc which were famed but yes there would likely be less use for a pure sight like a greyhound type, the relevance is more out of interest although it may bring some positive re hybrid vigor when crossing the other sight hound breeds to greyhounds.

4 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

no evidence of them before a certain point though??

The most likely reason was that the land bridge was cut off before the rabbit etc  moved north after the ice age, the mountain hare would have followed close to the melt so crossed to Britain and Ireland before the land bridge flooded.?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, tandors said:

I believe the new thinking is that Britain wasn't closed canopy forest but more woodland pasture/scrub as huge herds of herbivores moved through the landscape so I'm sure a sighthound would have been very useful.

Had a fair few mammoth knocking about according to dy

45 minutes ago, tandors said:

I believe the new thinking is that Britain wasn't closed canopy forest but more woodland pasture/scrub as huge herds of herbivores moved through the landscape so I'm sure a sighthound would have been very useful.

We were farmers and soon cleared the woodland once able.

https://aeon.co/essays/who-chopped-down-britain-s-ancient-forests

If there were once sight hounds, as there likely were at one time or another in this lands long history, they were likely from ancient stock and long gone.

• Like 1

If you look on this subject on the post you will see the deerhound greyhoundxwhippet I bred about 18yrs ago every bitch mate 23tts and the dogs 25tts there was only one smooth coated which a lad on here got.everyone done the job and some said they would have another tomorrow.the pup I kept back pulled it’s 1st big stuff at 11mths old with another dog but it didn’t hesitate at all.i used a whippet dog over a 26inch 1stx deerhound greyhound I just made a step for the whippet to sire her with no problem.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, lurchers said:

If you look on this subject on the post you will see the deerhound greyhoundxwhippet I bred about 18yrs ago every bitch mate 23tts and the dogs 25tts there was only one smooth coated which a lad on here got.everyone done the job and some said they would have another tomorrow.the pup I kept back pulled it’s 1st big stuff at 11mths old with another dog but it didn’t hesitate at all.i used a whippet dog over a 26inch 1stx deerhound greyhound I just made a step for the whippet to sire her with no problem.

Can also dig a bit of a hole for the bigger bitch to stand in.I'm going to try this soon,puting a Russell over a biggish whippet bitch.

My old bitch is 3/4 whippet 1/8 Deerhound 1/8 greyhound,23tts and is the best hunting dog I've owned. From long ferreting line.A very game dog but she still has the gentle nature of the Deerhound compared with whippets I've owned even though only 1/8.I know I'll never own one as good as her again.

20180110_124636-1.jpg

• Like 1