Whippet cross Deerhound

43 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Glad she turned out good for you and a lucky pup.You obviously care for your dogs.

Thanks, Aussie..If I could find another like her, I'd be delighted..The downside was people trying to steal her,  {sometimes got a bit hairy}  people trying intimidation &c, and whistling her to them ...luckily I can't whistle, so she never responded to one. It depends where you live, as to the type of hassle one gets, and who is in the area.
Whippets are lovely little beasts..so nimble and turn on a sixpence..We had a coursing bred one ,  and he could out-turn Twiggy.. Whippets and small Lurchers are a good mix. 

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the issue to me is finding a good deerhound these days, and by good I mean good not ok.

Yeah thats the one.the reason i looked is because it said dave platts in the title.D.P dogs i've had.

if that whippet stud is a good working dog I would use that over a lurcher, rather than a greyhound all day long

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

They are my favourite.My older bitch is a whippet cross whippet/Aussie staghound and is the best hunting dog I've owned and a great mate.

This is the thing..they are great mates..My son grew up with the Whippet, both of us are dogl ess at present, I am looking for one, preferably a rescued one, young, so it hasn't been psychologically or physically wrecked ....it is terrible what happens to so many Lurchers in Europe, from tiny pups to older ones.
..They do love to hunt, it is deep within them, and they do need that outlet..if not, they can become problematic. I knew of two very lovely looking lurchers [both rescued pups] who were driven mad with boredom as they had no time and effort put into them...both were given up to rescue centres yet again. 

• Like 1

Plenty of deerhound lurchers got whippet in the mix ,

phil Lloyd had a first x ,I'm sure it's in one of his books .

my uncul ,john matchet had a deerhound bitch that took dfh and he put a small bedy whippet dog over her ,I see few of them pups grow to be good all rounders that were working most nights day of the week taking good bags and help feeding family of 9 .

i will get some pics when I go see him ,

atb

On 21/04/2019 at 10:34, poxon said:

Bet there wouldn’t be much call for this cross in the uk as we already have dogs for the job plus the ingredients on one side is like hens teeth here. Be interesting to see what genuine f1 whippet deerhound produces I would of thought you’d have to be very skilled and a experienced breeder with a well used stud to line a 18-19in whippet to a 31-32in deerhound strange x though I’m struggling to see a advantage to the cross looking at it from a uk point of view the whole point of the use of deerhound blood being added is size,speed,power,bit of coat but to breed to a whippet it’s a total opposite 

Surely you'd just find a vet or someone who was competent at artificially inseminating dogs.

• Like 1
On 21/04/2019 at 10:34, poxon said:

Bet there wouldn’t be much call for this cross in the uk as we already have dogs for the job plus the ingredients on one side is like hens teeth here. Be interesting to see what genuine f1 whippet deerhound produces I would of thought you’d have to be very skilled and a experienced breeder with a well used stud to line a 18-19in whippet to a 31-32in deerhound strange x though I’m struggling to see a advantage to the cross looking at it from a uk point of view the whole point of the use of deerhound blood being added is size,speed,power,bit of coat but to breed to a whippet it’s a total opposite 

54 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Surely you'd just find a vet or someone who was competent at artificially inseminating dogs.

Not only that, but there LOADS of whippet dogs  22" tts and over, that are working very well up and down the country, and plenty of deerhound bitches well  under 30" tts. I don't see what's so difficult about it, or why alot of people say it's pointless. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Not only that, but there LOADS of whippet dogs  22" tts and over, that are working very well up and down the country, and plenty of deerhound bitches well  under 30" tts. I don't see what's so difficult about it, or why alot of people say it's pointless. 

the issue to me is finding a good deerhound these days, and by good I mean good not ok.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, two crows said:

Yeah well that's ok. Without getting too caught up in it all, legalities etc, the same thing could be said of almost any cross 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, shaaark said:

I think it they were any good there would be more about an more people would run this type of long dog but just at a guess there’s better dogs out there that’s why no one is really interested in f1 whippet x deerhounds it’s neither one nor the other I mean there’s better chances of a hare dog in a saluki x an not much better in a rabbit dog than a work bred whippet I can’t see a lot of point in the cross to be honest when there’s plenty of decent looking rough coated turbocharged Lurchers about that are clever enough to be trained to a heigh standard to do most jobs required of a running dog 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, poxon said:

I think it they were any good there would be more about an more people would run this type of long dog but just at a guess there’s better dogs out there that’s why no one is really interested in f1 whippet x deerhounds it’s neither one nor the other I mean there’s better chances of a hare dog in a saluki x an not much better in a rabbit dog than a work bred whippet I can’t see a lot of point in the cross to be honest when there’s plenty of decent looking rough coated turbocharged Lurchers about that are clever enough to be trained to a heigh standard to do most jobs required of a running dog 

The only down side to them is finding a good working deerhound as said.Over here whippet cross staghound(deer/grey) are probably the best and most used rabbit dogs.The old time hunters thought the whippet cross deerhounds were superior to these, and in those days with rabbits in plague numbers with most properties having a full time rabbiter,they wanted the best.Maybe the old deerhounds here were more like a staghound in breeding or were just bred to work,i can't get anymore info as the old timers have died off now.One thing I know for sure,these old blokes didn't let sentiment cloud their judgement.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

The only down side to them is finding a good working deerhound as said.Over here whippet cross staghound(deer/grey) are probably the best and most used rabbit dogs.The old time hunters thought the whippet cross deerhounds were superior to these, and in those days with rabbits in plague numbers with most properties having a full time rabbiter,they wanted the best.Maybe the old deerhounds here were more like a staghound in breeding or were just bred to work,i can't get anymore info as the old timers have died off now.One thing I know for sure,these old blokes didn't let sentiment cloud their judgement.

years ago dogs had to do a job, you would use the best dog available to you whatever that was, it would also have bean seen working, like you said no room for sentiment, the deerhounds years ago you speak of were more likely lurchers any way, like here when people talk about deerhound crosses being good dogs years ago, folk think of first crosses, when in reality the good ones would be deerhound lurchers, as apposed to longdogs.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, two crows said:

years ago dogs had to do a job, you would use the best dog available to you whatever that was, it would also have bean seen working, like you said no room for sentiment, the deerhounds years ago you speak of were more likely lurchers any way, like here when people talk about deerhound crosses being good dogs years ago, folk think of first crosses, when in reality the good ones would be deerhound lurchers, as apposed to longdogs.

I'd imagine that to be true,I don't think the old boys asked for a pedigree.Even today you see pigdogs here labelled as wolfhound cross, the"pure" wolfhound parent looks like a hairy mastiff.For rabbits here though you can't go past a straight cross or 3/4 whippet/stag,tough feet and real fast for the hard ground here.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, two crows said:

I get what you're saying t c, but when salukis were bred into the coursing dogs of today, in the 60's and 70's, how many of them were out and out coursing dogs, as opposed to show dogs that sometimes coursed?

6 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I get what you're saying t c, but when salukis were bred into the coursing dogs of today, in the 60's and 70's, how many of them were out and out coursing dogs, as opposed to show dogs that sometimes coursed?

none at all, I have just been researching a saluki that sired my first coursing lurcher 1969 I can trace the sire to that dog back to both Egypt 1895 and Syria 1897, and the saluki's used in the coursing dogs of today all go back the same way I can find the same dogs in all the saluki studs used through out the development of the modern coursing dogs, and all the lines have show bred stuff in them, but I believe the saluki is unique in this respect, every thing else seems to have been screwed up by the show fraternity.