Whippet cross Deerhound

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the issue to me is finding a good deerhound these days, and by good I mean good not ok.

Yeah thats the one.the reason i looked is because it said dave platts in the title.D.P dogs i've had.

if that whippet stud is a good working dog I would use that over a lurcher, rather than a greyhound all day long

Posted Images

is his of dave platt ginger.....think I seen that.....

there was a litter bred about 5 year ish back....Ludlow way.....a mate of mine who I hadn't seen for a while has one from the litter...im still yet to pop round and have a look at it....and hes only about 5 mile away

Bet there wouldn’t be much call for this cross in the uk as we already have dogs for the job plus the ingredients on one side is like hens teeth here. Be interesting to see what genuine f1 whippet deerhound produces I would of thought you’d have to be very skilled and a experienced breeder with a well used stud to line a 18-19in whippet to a 31-32in deerhound strange x though I’m struggling to see a advantage to the cross looking at it from a uk point of view the whole point of the use of deerhound blood being added is size,speed,power,bit of coat but to breed to a whippet it’s a total opposite 

6 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I was shot down in flames a few years ago,  just for mentioning this cross.

'You're a dreamer, what's the point of such a cross'? Etc etc etc ?

with the size of deerhounds and greys these days its the way to go imo. A scratch racer sire. Can mind seeing some for sale and always wondered how they went

55 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

with the size of deerhounds and greys these days its the way to go imo. A scratch racer sire. Can mind seeing some for sale and always wondered how they went

You're dreaming, it's a pointless cross.

? lol ?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

there was a litter bred about 5 year ish back....Ludlow way.....a mate of mine who I hadn't seen for a while has one from the litter...im still yet to pop round and have a look at it....and hes only about 5 mile away

Yeah thats the one.the reason i looked is because it said dave platts in the title.D.P dogs i've had.

Screenshot_2018-01-10-23-52-05.png

Screenshot_2018-01-09-23-26-58.png

• Like 4
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

Could be just the thing vin was looking for.did he find one.?

2 hours ago, ginger beard said:

Screenshot_2018-01-10-23-52-05.png

Screenshot_2018-01-09-23-26-58.png

That bottom pic looks like an ideal dog for here.They would have plenty of speed and hunt in them and real good tough feet as whippets here have good feet as a pure bred,and tougher skin.I've never seen a straight cross here,just an old hunting article and stories from rabbiting blokes.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

This cross was considered the ultimate rabbit dog by the old timers in the hills of NSW here, as the greyhound/deerhound was the best roo dog.Anyone still using a first cross whippet/deerhound,and if so what size do they make.

I had a dumped puppy picked up by dog warden full of worms who grew into a lovely Lurcher, easy to train, waterproof coat..it just drained off the long wispy hairs loved jumping..lots of stamina. Her parentage was unknown, but in the same area a similar one of the same age was found the same day.
Some dead ones were also found of similar type, but younger...so clearly no one cared about their rearing.
Only 22 '' to the shoulder..haven't seen many about of this type recently..Maybe not so popular. I screens hotted this pic of her, as a luddite with pics. Have no digital ones. 

Screenshot 2019-01-06 at 14.13.39.png

• Like 3