Last nights foxing

The usual call from the chicken farm was greeted with I have to say ,a bit of reluctance but if I don’t do it then you know the score .

Cubbing time isn’t my favourite for control but is when fox damage is at its peak .

The wife likes to use the thermal and to be honest she’s pretty good with it .

The chaps that shut the chicken in were just leaving when we arrived and said they’d seen a fox running away with a chicken as they drove in ?

Loaded the .222 and fired up the thermal .Few deer ,a badger and several rabbits  could be seen from where we park but no fox .Walking up beyond the left hand sheds ,the wife saw a fox running flat out away from us and no amount of squeaking was stopping that one .Probably kicked it up under our feet almost around a shed .Another badger and a muntie later ,wife spots a fox obviously eating from the head movements .Guessed at 200 yds .On sticks and had a look through the photon rt .Very clear image ,a few steps closer and I decide it’s not going to let us get any closer .Perfect steady rest on the quad sticks and thump in the chest .Wife says it’s up and running but the thump said otherwise .

Getting to the spot she sees the dead fox and says there must of been two as one ran along the hedge line at the shot .Dog fox luckily which was eating a fresh wing bit .

64CE23B1-BFE1-4D6C-BA54-EF4B02F9B7D5.jpeg

Took the carcass to the incinerator on site .

• Like 11

Nice job, it’s sometimes a shame to have to shoot them this time of year but a jobs got to be done, they certainly don’t take any time off from chewing chickens, I wish I could get the missus to come out with me as a spotter, I’ve been struggling lately for a shooting buddy and she’s always bloody there, but will she come out with me, will she heck ?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

Nice job, it’s sometimes a shame to have to shoot them this time of year but a jobs got to be done, they certainly don’t take any time off from chewing chickens, I wish I could get the missus to come out with me as a spotter, I’ve been struggling lately for a shooting buddy and she’s always bloody there, but will she come out with me, will she heck ?

Same here!

• Like 1

Nice write up FD , I went over to the chicken farm I look after today to get some “free” eggs , the Mrs wants to make some cakes for Easter. The farmer hasn’t seen anything and doesn’t think he’s losing any birds . So I had a walk around the fence line and in particular the little gaps that the foxes push through, and found a fresh kill . I’ve killed countless foxes on this farm , but it’s like a honey pot for foxes . I will be out soon . 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Any rats on there mate .

No , it’s a permanent set up . He has bait stations all around the outside . I see the odd one running up the ditch with the thermal . It’s a very clean and tidy egg unit . The guy is meticulous. 

Pity lol .The guy who supposed to be moving sheds here is playing up a bit with the pest controller .The shed due to go out is heaving apparently but farmer wants pesty  to gas it as he’s paying for a control service .Ill keep in touch mate but pisses me off no end .Just let terrier lads do proper job .

• Like 2