So much for a happy Easter

15 hours ago, hambone said:

I thought it was because the potato harvest failed due to poor farming practice. ?

That's true but there was loads of other crops available at the time and it was all exported to Britain. Alls Ireland was left with was the spud and when that got blight the country starved. Absentee landlords evicted the people that couldn't pay rent and the British army at the time enforced the evictions. The ones that fought back were hung and some of the younger folk (over a million) emigrated to America for a new life and the old and the weak that stayed either starved or scraped through. Either way it halved the population. There is a film on Netflix at the moment called 47 and it's worth a watch.

• Like 2

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair enough mate, but I have not seen one pro leave  EU person mention “a return to violence” ........in fact I think (and I’m happy to be corrected pal) the British have actually stated that we don’t

See something on the news earlier about it seems an element up there really want ta stir things up. Not fair on the people that just want ta get on with there lives.

Ps For some of those here , you can  stage dress it up in whatever  curtain you want , the fact is that paramilitaries in both sides aren’t doing it for loyalist loyalty lol or swept up in a republica

Posted Images

13 hours ago, ginger beard said:

I don't have any answers but jean butler and michael flatley and all the proformers on riverdance are amazing.makes the hairs on my arms stand up.

Here ya go ginger mario does a good take on flately 

15 hours ago, Francie said:

Haha poor farming practice, not at all bud, it wasn't just the spud they stole, it was the rest of the crops also, an the land, an money etc

You need to learn your history mate ;)

Simple fact is it happened, so did the Warrington bomb! Blame needs to be left alone and peace needs to be fostered. Not some stupid fuucking grudge because something bad went down however long ago. Get a bloody grip for our kids sake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think really its just a small number misguided young men that live in deprived areas that have fired each other up, dwelling on past and looking up to past heroes. Fanning the embers hoping to start the fire again. I really hope for the ordinary folk that live in Northern Ireland that they do not succeed.

Any way Happy Easter to every body in all of Ireland and every body else on here.

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mushroom said:

Simple fact is it happened, so did the Warrington bomb! Blame needs to be left alone and peace needs to be fostered. Not some stupid fuucking grudge because something bad went down however long ago. Get a bloody grip for our kids sake.

At the end of the day mush, British occupation is to blame, I don't hold no grudges, but it's hard for people to move on when the army is still occupying our land.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mushroom said:

I think most are ready to move on mush. Those people that killed that girl arent the majority. I think people mix things up a bit when they think that everyone is like that. Shooting a lesbian reporter in Provo eyes is a bad PR move and I wouldn't be surprised if those lads that done it end up getting killed by their own kind.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, mushroom said:

There will never be real and lasting peace in Ireland until it is united and I’m afraid that is the reality. British rule is not wanted here by the majority of Irish citizens so if they want peace all they have do is pack up and Fcuk off. If you think it’s easier for people to give up the struggle for freedom than it is for the the British to hand back stolen lands then I find that a very strange train of thought mush. Would you be as quick to tell the Catalans to just forget about their struggle for independence and just get on with it. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

There will never be real and lasting peace in Ireland until it is united and I’m afraid that is the reality. British rule is not wanted here by the majority of Irish citizens so if they want peace all they have do is pack up and Fcuk off. If you think it’s easier for people to give up the struggle for freedom than it is for the the British to hand back stolen lands then I find that a very strange train of thought mush. Would you be as quick to tell the Catalans to just forget about their struggle for independence and just get on with it. 

I do daily mate but as with you guys, I also have respect for their position. My point is and it's the same with them.... if you continue to hate the future because of the past, then you force that burden on your kids ;)

• Like 1

The irony in all of this is that Britain and Ireland are not their own masters.

Britain gave up its independence and Ireland swapped one master for another.

I think we are all fighting the wrong people here ;) 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, WILF said:

The irony in all of this is that Britain and Ireland are not their own masters.

Britain gave up its independence and Ireland swapped one master for another.

I think we are all fighting the wrong people here ;) 

Fuuck yeah we are!

24 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Even with a united Ireland there won't be peace if the unionists come out fighting.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jiggy said:

Even with a united Ireland there won't be peace if the unionists come out fighting.

Well that will be up to them jiggy,  but personally I believe that unionists have absolutely nothing to fear but it’s not really for me to say how they would feel. 

I work with a few Northern Ireland lads and by god they are stubborn. They always remind us southern boys that they had it harder than us which is probably true. If you asked one of them for a loan of their drill for 5 minutes, they would look at you like you just asked for his daughters hand in marriage. It's way more relaxed in the midlands to be fair.