New estate car

I have a VW Passat with just over 200,000 miles on the clock, very comfortable, very reliable and average of 48.5 - 50mpg running around and upto 58 on a long run although I must admit I don't put my foot down nowadays as the pension has all on to keep up with fuel prices. The only downside to the Passat estate is they are very low and so not that easy to get in and out as we get older, with only 140mm ground clearance, no good for green lanes, strictly tarmac unless you get the 4x4 version but then road tax goes up and so does the fuel usage.

Phil

• Like 1

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The eagle has landed,lol...very pleased with my new wheels,some amount of Nick nacks in it,hopefully I get 4 more years with it trouble free

just bought a 2012 blue motion Passat estate full leather bells and whistles for my daughter for £800 quid, ex lease hire, loads of miles, no smoke no oil usage and pulls like a train years ticket and

There she is up the side of a mountain,nice interiors and style won't be a help with a smelly goat in the back,lol...

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, kanny said:

You know you can go visit Chernobyl now dont you ? ?...in the big scheme of things nuclear is a cleaner option add to that we are the envy of the world for our renewable energy potential. 

I know a fair bit about radiation mate, and you wouldn’t get me near Chernobyl for all the tea in China ! ? 

That shit is the deadliest thing on earth but because you can’t see it, touch it, taste it or smell it nobody cares.

Its pure deadly filth of the very worst kind you can imagine and then some and we are burying it in our own planet !

If we didn’t keep deforesting the world and concreting over all the greenery you could drive diesel forever because the world can reprocess that stuff.......it can’t reprocess nuclear waste, they shit just kills everything.

Edited by WILF
Just now, WILF said:

I know a fair bit about radiation mate, and you wouldn’t get me near Chernobyl for all the tea in China ! ? 

That shit is the deadliest thing on earth but because you can’t see it, touch it, taste it or smell it nobody cares.

Its pure dealt filth of the very worst kind you can imagine and then some and we are burying it in our own planet !

If we didn’t keep deforesting the world and concreting over all the greenery you could drive diesel forever because the world can reprocess that stuff.......it can’t reprocess nuclear waste, they shit just kills everything.

Nobody f***ing cares! :laugh: I just spat all the tea in china all over my f***ing desk! Nobody cares indeed! :D People panic so much over the N word that the guys that developed MRI were too scared to call it by its proper name, NMRI!

People care beyond reason!

Also, radioactive waste decays (the matter we are made from was literally formed in a nuclear reactor). I'd hazard a guess a lot faster than the tens to hundreds of millions of years it takes to make oil. The rate we are killing off the oceans there'll be no oil generation anyway. LOL

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Nobody f***ing cares! :laugh: I just spat all the tea in china all over my f***ing desk! Nobody cares indeed! :D People panic so much over the N word that the guys that developed MRI were too scared to call it by its proper name, NMRI!

People care beyond reason!

Also, radioactive waste decays (the matter we are made from was literally formed in a nuclear reactor). I'd hazard a guess a lot faster than the tens to hundreds of millions of years it takes to make oil. The rate we are killing off the oceans there'll be no oil generation anyway. LOL

Mate, far be it from me to cross intellectual swords with a lad like you who actually works with this stuff but (imho) if the public ACTUALLY knew the full facts about nuclear fuel and radiation reactors would be banned world wide.

The lowest half life of spent fuel is about 22,000 years and some upto 150,000 years if I’m not mistaken.......which translates to :

If it will kill you in 3 days now, then in 150,000 years it will take 6 days !

Im happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

The dose is accumulative so the effects don’t ware off, it’s just continues to f**k with cellular structure.......you can’t “get better” from a dose of radiation.

Again, very happy to be corrected.

They will put you in prison if you don’t adhere to the safety regulations when messing with it.........they won’t do that to the local car mechanic ! Lol 

In short mate, it’s deadly as f**k and a tree can’t turn the isotopes used in fuel into oxygen can it...........you know it and I know it.

But as I say, you are the authority here and I recognise that so I’m very happy to be corrected.

Edited by WILF

I’ll just add, I do think there needs to be an alternative to fossil fuel but radiation ain’t it and calling it “clean” is highly misleading to put it kindly.........in fact it’s a downright lie.

22 minutes ago, WILF said:

Mate, far be it from me to cross intellectual swords with a lad like you who actually works with this stuff but (imho) if the public ACTUALLY knew the full facts about nuclear fuel and radiation reactors would be banned world wide.

I disagree, I think that generally people want it banned out of ignorance based fear, if they studied it they'd be far less concerned. But this comes down to a simple disagreement between us over the risk/reward, I'm not suggesting that you are wrong in your opinion of it.

26 minutes ago, WILF said:

The lowest half life is about 22,000 years and some upto 150,000 years if I’m not mistaken.......which translates to :

If it will kill you in 3 days now, then in 150,000 years it will take 6 days !

Im happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

Half lives can be under a second or millions of years. It depends on the isotope. But yes the waste that matters, does so because it lasts so long (not because it emits anything more nasty). No denying that currently it is a problem and risk. We still haven't managed to deal with any of our nuclear subs yet and the yard is nearly full!

31 minutes ago, WILF said:

The dose is accumulative so the effects don’t ware off, it’s just continues to f**k with cellular structure.......you can’t “get better” from a dose of radiation.

Again, very happy to be corrected.

I'm not really sure that any of this is true or false. Haven't got the time to study it right now.

39 minutes ago, WILF said:

They will put you in prison if you don’t adhere to the safety regulations when messing with it.........they won’t do that to the local car mechanic ! Lol 

Again, because everyone is terrified of the N word but we're all totally happy with dirty air killing tens of thousands annually.

41 minutes ago, WILF said:

In short mate, it’s deadly as f**k and a tree can’t turn the isotopes used in fuel into oxygen can it...........you know it and I know it.

But as I say, you are the authority here and I recognise that so I’m very happy to be corrected.

Tree's don't need to, the isotopes do it themselves through natural decay. Tree's also don't remove plastic waste, soot particulates or nitrogen oxides etc.

Like I said mate, we disagree over the risk/benefit. Just made me laugh when you said no one cares about rads. I see that one very differently. :good:

• Like 1

Maybe “don’t care” was the wrong way to put it mate, I probably should have said “if they really knew the reality of radiation they would be terrified”

I think you will agree, your common or garden person is almost complete ignorant of full understanding of what this crap is and can do and how lethal it is (in certain isotopes)

• Like 1

Also, I think we would probably agree on a lot of environmental issues. I work in the oil and mining industry so will be accused of being biased at any opportunity that suits. Not right now though because I'm pushing alternatives, lol. Our current industrial practices are totally unsustainable! Plastic waste, carbon emissions, agriculture decimating ecosystems! It's depressing as f**k. Even more so when I conclude that we will simply innovate our way out of the problems when the begin to bite allowing us to continue the destruction, no Armageddon and natural cull.

• Like 1

100% mate.

I just don’t think business can replace something lethal with something infinitely more lethal and call it “clean” because it’s not doing something the other substance is doing.......and if you asked anyone who knows about radiation if they would rather walk into the middle of a room full of exhaust fumes or into the roof at Chernobyl I bet I know what the answer would be.