Champions League

1 hour ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I’m not too sure tbh mate, but I’ve not seen such a promising bunch of young English footballers in all my time of watching football. I remember England not qualifying for a tournament( can’t remember which one now) and they were saying in the papers etc that they were ripping up the old rule books and restarting from grassroots because something was seriously wrong and now I think we’re benefitting from the fruits of that grassroots stuff. I don’t necessarily think it’s because of Southgate, the old deadwood of Rooney, Hart etc had to go and we now have genuine world class talent such as Kane and Sterling (that are still only young themselves) being followed up with genuine world class potential players like Alli, Maguire, Sancho etc, this is the first time I’ve ever seen where every position in the England team has 2 or 3 players fighting for it.

When the England team came out the other night, I thought it was the schoolboy squad lol 

Fair play to the yoof. .

Cheers, D.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great atmosphere though im sure you,d agree ? What a fantastic game that was last night i still cant make up my mind if Var is for the better or worse,but much as i hate Spurs im glad City are ou

Ajax aren’t to be underestimated, they’ve given Real and Juve a footballing lesson so far.

As a slight side conversation, I went to a seminar with the FAI elite director of football who is a Dutch bloke called Ruud Doktor. This is the bloke who has come up with “the plan” for Irish foo

Posted Images

I can't understand why anyone would be unhappy with England and Southgate atm, world cup semi finalists is a fine achievement by anyone's standards and I don't care if our run was "easy" as we can only beat (or get beaten) by who we were drawn against! 

Under sven and capello everyone wanted an English manager and now we finally have one with as much top level playing experience as a man could have, knowledge of all english football clubs, time on his side to build something on the semi final and let's not forget that there is only one other man (Stuart pearce) that know's exactly what it's like to cost this county a shot at glory! He is one of us, he knows what this country wants out of its football team and I for one am loving every minute of to be perfectly honest, semi finals of the world cup is f***ing awesome when you consider some other countries can't even qualify :whistling:

I honestly can't think of any other Englishman I'd rather have in charge right now for the simple fact he has been there and done it, going from what must easily of been the worst moment in his whole life never mind football career to a world cup semi final with a team everyone thought would be home by the knockout stage is an amazing achievement and I'm sure he won't want to stop there 184022041-a7c2888d-befd-4ddc-8307-ad1fe1f2b3d3.jpg.9c1d7049bd1647f571edc044b91d39da.jpg

Edited by Stoney100
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, Stoney100 said:

I can't understand why anyone would be unhappy with England and Southgate atm, world cup semi finalists is a fine achievement by anyone's standards and I don't care if our run was "easy" as we can only beat (or get beaten) by who we were drawn against! 

Under sven and capello everyone wanted an English manager and now we finally have one with as much top level playing experience as a man could have, knowledge of all english football clubs, time on his side to build something on the semi final and let's not forget that there is only one other man (Stuart pearce) that know's exactly what it's like to cost this county a shot at glory! He is one of us, he knows what this country wants out of its football team and I for one am loving every minute of to be perfectly honest, semi finals of the world cup is f***ing awesome when you consider some other countries can't even qualify :whistling:

I honestly can't think of any other Englishman I'd rather have in charge right now for the simple fact he has been there and done it, going from what must easily of been the worst moment in his whole life never mind football career to a world cup semi final with a team everyone thought would be home by the knockout stage is an amazing achievement and I'm sure he won't want to stop there 184022041-a7c2888d-befd-4ddc-8307-ad1fe1f2b3d3.jpg.9c1d7049bd1647f571edc044b91d39da.jpg

What about Chris Waddle?? Lol

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, WILF said:

I don’t know THE answer mate, I only know what I think it is if you get my drift.

The bloke with the brain realises that he don’t know everything so he has to learn as much as he can then use his own intelligence to get the best from that knowledge.

Apart from different technical drills to practice for certain things I think the really important part is that they work on the mental side of things now heavily in modern coaching......gone are the John Sitton days of “lets give everyone a good boot up the arse”

They teach that different people react different ways to different stimulus.

You know yourself, some lads can take the baiting and others need to be got to in different ways......its what I find most interesting about coaching.

If I coached youngsters in the same manner as I was as a player I would mentally destroy them in 3 minutes flat.......I have to be a different me as a coach than I was as a player.

I think Southgates handling of the World Cup was a class example of the thinking, modern coach.

Obviously, personality has a part in all of that and lads with a good manner for working with people will achieve more than lads who don’t have as good a manner.

Some lads just understand the above on their own and others have to be told it......that’s the benefit of education on the subject.

No more over weight dads screaming at their 8 year olds like it’s the SAS......you are building people and along with it players.

Hope I understood your question and that lets you know what I think.

Ta mate....makes sense.....im kind of lost with the whole licence/badges thing i dont really understand how beyond dough,what puts you onto the next level it all seems like exploitation to me....coaching i think is an individual thing beyond the basics i dont think you can teach someone to coach any sport.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

it all seems like exploitation to me....

Likewise, I feel exactly the same however I still feel showing people the right way to do things is of long term benefit to football.......however if FAs were serious it would almost be free.

As usual, someone has taken something worthwhile, seen there’s a few quid in it and taken the piss.

The bloke who was in charge of the Irish FA was earning €360,000 a year and all the  exes......same bloke in Germany or Spain.......€120,000.........that there is a piss take if you could see what a f***ing clown show football in Ireland is.

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, sid g said:

been like that for years at grass roots they had 7 and 9 a side years before we did every player had a ball all the gear and decent training from the age of 5 fully qualified coaches we learnt a lot from them football @ grass roots level in this country improved vastly in the last 15 with coaches and managers being crb checked having to do the first aid and child protection courses , and moving through the coaching badges the football foundation funding as improved pitches and changing / shower facilities goal posts and training equipment is all top stuff .  most of this was going on in dutch football 20 odd year back ..

I dont really know much about this St George's Park it seems a place clouded in mystery but maybe theres good things happening through that.....even back in the late 80,s i remember hearing about local lads being packed off to Lilleshall that was seen as they had virtually made it in the game that would probably be Beckhams generation but now kids are signed up to pro clubs by 8 and 9 years old i dont know if thats the done thing in Holland ?....but i think as far as on the pitch go,s the ideas we have taken from the Dutch in general have worked for us.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, sid g said:

i went right through from the old jnr managers award to the uefa a  badge the biggest thing I got from it early on was how to put together a decent training session  together I helped a lot of jnr managers to get the level 1 some of em didn't know a thing about warm ups and warm downs or how to plan an hour session .as you work through the badges you learn more about positional play setting up corners free kicks a lot of it is dads wanting to run football sides and most of its a guide to get them through it .. as for a money machine most of it gets pumped back into grass roots football and a lot of clubs can get funding via local council the lottery fund or the football foundation .

Ah right i see cheers.....so how do you progress through the badges is there some kind of exam ?.....and how does it allow a coach to have his own ideas if its geared towards a certain ideal.....or does that come later on ?

I only ask because i cant quite get my head around " teaching " a coach how to coach it almost suggests that anyone could do it.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, sid g said:

for level one its first aid training sessions and child protection ..for the a n b licence couple of days being coached then you put a training session together and a match then sit an exam .. once you`ve done it refresher courses and update your first aid . loads of seminars you can go on  once you`ve got your a or  b license .

Gotcha... it sounds like the sort of thing where you can take it as far as your wallet allows,do you have a background in the game Sid....ex player or something ?....fair do,s by the way.

Sorry for the 20 questions its just ive recently put a few quid into a non league club near me and just sussing out how everything works its surprised me how organised and professional it all is even at that level.

Edited by gnasher16
5 minutes ago, sid g said:

i played a bit no great shakes played for my village team on sats and the british legion on a sunday  but my love of night clubs and women ended it

Good for you.....well nice chatting to you and best of luck in the game,cheers ?

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, sid g said:

no great shout but I coached at notts county a lot of the youngsters don't make the grade notts closed there academy  due to lack of money I wouldn't scout for notts because I thought lads were better off enjoying football playing with there mates one lad I know spent 7 year at forest and got released at 16 missed those years playing with his mates

Just to say , 

its a sad old thing that’s happened to a club like notts county

”I had a wheel barrow , the wheel fell off !” 

12 hours ago, sid g said:

for level one its first aid training sessions and child protection ..for the a n b licence couple of days being coached then you put a training session together and a match then sit an exam .. once you`ve done it refresher courses and update your first aid . loads of seminars you can go on  once you`ve got your a or  b license . you can do what you like once you get your badges , it just that to coach kids you need level 1 and to coach adults you need level a  without em you shouldn't be coaching .. anyone can do it but it don't mean your good at it ,  a lot of kids go into football or do some sort of coaching day/course you`d want to know your kids are 1 in a safe environment and 2 they aint going to get injured because the coach aint got a clue -- gone are the days when old jock off the estate ran the football team and you met the mini bus for away games on the pub car park while he had a quick pint ..

Fair play to you mate.

Obviously you have to do child protection and your CRB that’s a given and it costs f**k all.

I think the thing you missed above the cost is that you have to have completed the other badges before you can progress and you have to put in a certain number of hours for each......a B license is about 130 hours as I remember.

Then you have to add travel, hotels etc.

You made it sound like you just book the course, bat off for a couple of days in a class room and bobs your uncle......it isn’t like that is it, there is real investment in time and money.

5 hours for this badge, 25 hours for that, 40 hours for another and 130 hours for something else.

Can I ask, did you do all the badges out of your own pocket or was you assisted by Notts County?

Obviously all the information to do everything is available online if lads want to take the time to search for it and I would always advise lads to do that rather than just take youngsters for “a kick about”.......I think a session with some planning and thought behind it is more interesting for everyone anyway.

What the net can’t give you However is being around experienced football lads and picking up on their manner and picking their brains.....I beleive you learn from everyone you meet for good or bad.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 3

As a slight side conversation, I went to a seminar with the FAI elite director of football who is a Dutch bloke called Ruud Doktor.

This is the bloke who has come up with “the plan” for Irish football.

So, we moved out to the training pitch with a couple of U12 sides who they had got there for the evening and he says “right, now I’m going to show you how I do it”

And he set them up in a couple of 7v7 & 9v9 and let them get on with it, never said a word more.

Now this group of lads could play, they needed nothing explaining and it was all pass and move.......no inexperience kids here.

So after watching this for a while we stop and he makes this big speech about “Just let the kids play” and all the other coaches are nodding and saying well done and all that old bollocks.

I pop my hand up and say “Excuse me, now I can see all those lads can play.......what about the little 10 year old girls and boys who come to you and can hardly kick a ball?”

”The lads who can play would never pass them a ball if you didn’t step in and take measures to make sure they keep getting a touch, they would literally be stood in the corner of pitch doing f**k all for two hours”

”you have to step in and get them involved and encourage their team mates who can play to involve them and help them improve......you have to step in and talk to them as a coach to make them beleive in themselves”

His reply?.......”I don’t really know about that, it’s complicated!” 

Brilliant !! 

I can honestly say my proudest moments as a coach is getting the little lad or little girl who is shy and timid and can hardly kick the ball to become fully functioning members of the team who is as good as anyone else.......keeps your cups and trophies at that age, I’ll take that every time.

Anyway, I digress.....to have the qualifications this bloke has would cost a fortune and he is giving replies like that?

And the FAI want thousands off me to help pay his salary......can’t see the value there myself.

• Like 5