U.S gun ranges.

5 hours ago, walshie said:

Well last time i tried a Sig P320 in 9mm and this time a Glock 23 and a Wilson combat 1911. I've read the Wilsons are all pretty much custom guns so another one might be quite different to the one I tried. As all 3 were different calibres, it's hard to call a favourite, but I think the Sig just edges it. Especially now they have fixed them so they don't go off if you drop them. Glocks are a decent nice handling gun but 1911s are just too big.

Fave manufactuers: Sig, Glock, Wilson.

Fave Cals: 40, 9mm, 45. 

The only Sig I've shot with any regularity is the P229 which I really liked and will probably own one day! Nice to hear they've been working on the QC. I've always love the utilitarian appeal of Glock but if I had the money I'd pick up an H&K MK23 in .45 then I'd supress it. They're just a lot of fun to shoot.

If you make it out this way we'll see if we can get you a few hundred rounds through an AR! :thumbs:

Edited by ChrisJones
  • Thanks 1

Pity you're back now.

I'd have said try 10mm if you got chance. More power than a .45 but less power and considerably less recoil than a .44 magnum. Kind of a 9mm on steroids. The FBI issued 10mm as a replacement for 9mm, but withdrew it, as some of the more slightly built male and some female agents allegedly couldn't handle the extra recoil / power and therefore it affected accuracy. However, from what I've seen, it only recoils a bit more for significantly more stopping power than 9mm. Very good calibre.

The ultimate handgun calibre now in my opinion (purely from videos / reading as we don't have access to handguns over here) is probably 7.5FK. That said, with guns costing £7.5K (!!!) (BRNO) the opportunities of shooting one even in the states, is probably few and far between. 7.5FK combines similar if not more destructive power to a .44 mag in a gun with only a bit more recoil than a 9mm, maybe more around the 10mm mark. It's got the penetration of a rifle against body armour / bullet proof glass (it goes through most soft body armour with devastating expansion results after the armour and even 2 inches of bullet proof glass!). All in, got to be an interesting shoot and a very unusual round (it's allegedly been custom developed as a new sidearm for an unspecified NATO army by all accounts).

Take a look at this shot if nothing else at 17 mins 44 secs, through to the results at 18 mins 40 secs. Mind blowing damage after going through Level IIIA armour. I doubt .44 mag without the body armour in between would beat that, in fact .44 mag wouldn't go through Level IIIA as Level IIIA defeats .44 mag!: 

25 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Pity you're back now.

I'd have said try 10mm if you got chance. More power than a .45 but less power and considerably less recoil than a .44 magnum. Kind of a 9mm on steroids. The FBI issued 10mm as a replacement for 9mm, but withdrew it, as some of the more slightly built male and some female agents allegedly couldn't handle the extra recoil / power and therefore it affected accuracy. However, from what I've seen, it only recoils a bit more for significantly more stopping power than 9mm. Very good calibre.

The ultimate handgun calibre now in my opinion (purely from videos / reading as we don't have access to handguns over here) is probably 7.5FK. That said, with guns costing £7.5K (!!!) (BRNO) the opportunities of shooting one even in the states, is probably few and far between. 7.5FK combines similar if not more destructive power to a .44 mag in a gun with only a bit more recoil than a 9mm, maybe more around the 10mm mark. It's got the penetration of a rifle against body armour / bullet proof glass (it goes through most soft body armour with devastating expansion results after the armour and even 2 inches of bullet proof glass!). All in, got to be an interesting shoot and a very unusual round (it's allegedly been custom developed as a new sidearm for an unspecified NATO army by all accounts).

Take a look at this shot if nothing else at 17 mins 44 secs, through to the results at 18 mins 40 secs. Mind blowing damage after going through Level IIIA armour. I doubt .44 mag without the body armour in between would beat that, in fact .44 mag wouldn't go through Level IIIA as Level IIIA defeats .44 mag!: 

No, I definitely wanted to shoot a 40 and 45. 

12 hours ago, walshie said:

There's only so many hours in a day and only so many dollars in my pocket. :D

That's fair enough. Hope you enjoyed the hours you did have with the .40 / .45.

• Like 1