First one in the new mark4/ tunnel..

On 24/12/2019 at 15:19, stealthy1 said:

Are you still getting a few?

Just the one mate, back end of November. After a few words over the fence and seeing a few himself he got someone out and they baited up with poison. ( about june/July time ) seems to have slowed things down a bit...for now anyway.

20191128_123548.jpg

• Like 1
On 28/12/2019 at 21:00, mick.c said:

I know its a daft question but what is the cable tie for on the trap....cheers

Mick

As above mick, leave the tie wrap sticking out under the box.. disappears when trap is sprung. 

• 1 year later...
On 25/06/2019 at 12:09, steg said:

It is..Few more since! Just when I think that's it.. 

20190502_115509.jpg

20190528_173041.jpg

Fair decent box you made there.

Im not sure what advice you've already received but try not to move box around. Rats get neophobia (they're scared of new things in their environment, so keep box/traps in same positions, if you move them around they'll shy away).

Rats can also figure out something is dangerous - seeing their brethren smashed up in a fenn will deter some from coming back. If things go quiet in your box slip the safety on and load it up with free offerings/bait. Get them feeding freely again in the box before making trap live. If they've had the experience of a free meal in the box they'll come back, if they've only been in and seen cousin Gerry mangled they probably won't.

Best of luck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steg. That looks the dogs.

Can I ask if the stones you have on the floor manage to keep the rats out of your shed?  I've read what they seem to be able to chew through but is it just hard work through stones/pebbles for them?

Cheers

12 hours ago, Suffolkpest said:

Fair decent box you made there.

Im not sure what advice you've already received but try not to move box around. Rats get neophobia (they're scared of new things in their environment, so keep box/traps in same positions, if you move them around they'll shy away).

Rats can also figure out something is dangerous - seeing their brethren smashed up in a fenn will deter some from coming back. If things go quiet in your box slip the safety on and load it up with free offerings/bait. Get them feeding freely again in the box before making trap live. If they've had the experience of a free meal in the box they'll come back, if they've only been in and seen cousin Gerry mangled they probably won't.

Best of luck

All advice welcome!?.Got two boxes down, one on each end of shed, they not been moved.. might look it in pics but caught in them both. Weather getting the better of them now. Neighbour got local pestie out and shot some poison down a while back.. catches slowed down and ground to a halt until yesterday.. blaming him for the lack of action! ??

20210207_161752.jpg

20210207_161709.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dappled said:

Hi Steg. That looks the dogs.

Can I ask if the stones you have on the floor manage to keep the rats out of your shed?  I've read what they seem to be able to chew through but is it just hard work through stones/pebbles for 

Shed must be 30 years old now and stood on railway sleepers..lived here 20 year's and the auld girl to my left says it was here at least 10 years before me. Repair it as and when needed. Might treat myself to a new one this year. Gravel and slabs were an after thing and don't actually go under shed. Must admit.. everytime I go in I expect one ?

20210207_161636.jpg

Thanks Steg.  I've had the ratcatcher round this morning and he has placed plenty of boxes for them. ?

My shed is 35+ years old and is on plies of flags for air circulation. Loads of room for critters!! Your trap in the wooden tunnel is very clever.

Cheers

30 minutes ago, Dappled said:

Thanks Steg.  I've had the ratcatcher round this morning and he has placed plenty of boxes for them. ?

My shed is 35+ years old and is on plies of flags for air circulation. Loads of room for critters!! Your trap in the wooden tunnel is very clever.

Cheers

Must admit... I've pinched all the idea's off the good lads off here and their post's past and new so all credit goes to them! Feel free to post some pics and welcome to the site Dappled ?

Another one bites the dust! Nothing for a year and 2 in a week! ?. Hard to tell  which way this one came in from.. traps span around 90°. Tie- wraps came off.. are old and quite brittle now.. or maybe was frozen to ground and caused a bit of bother when it was triggered? ( been down to as low as minus -8° around here recently. Had to boil kettle to get box lid off. Last pic...promise ? before I let's this post sink back into the depths!  Will keep at em! ?

20210214_162040.jpg

• Like 2