Quarry perm

A little while ago I posted about a new but small perm with a serious rabbit issue and also mentioned at the time that there was a tree filled quarry on the perm. Today, my shooting partner and I went to do a few tests on his rimfire and as it was such a lovely day, I took a few piccies for you all. The ivy on the ground is covered with pigeon crap so it is well used. The quarry sides are steep and about 50-70' high so very limited as to where and how you get in but we think it is going to offer some good sport over the coming months and of course in the winter when the trees are bare, there are large numbers of pigeon roosting in there.

The quarry is split into two sections with a high rib of land separating the two sections although it is quite easy to get from one section into the other but as yet we have not spent too much time actually in the quarry. We are in there tonight with the Impacts hoping to try and bag a few pigeons coming in to roost. This is still a learning game for us both but nevertheless really looking forward to going tonight.

20190417_133110_zpsfb5wt7fd.jpg

20190417_133122_zps9up8rlox.jpg

20190417_132805_zpsx91wipxw.jpg

20190417_133115_zpspxxt4vp8.jpg

The other side of the quarry is completely different to this side with large areas of brambles, shrubs, some trees and grass areas which we know hold many rabbits and again an area we need to spend time in to fully understand it's potential. I think we will be taking a couple of petrol brush cutters for this lot. 

Phil

• Like 8

I would say get your feeders up early September ,might take a few weeks for the squirrels to get use to them ,plus there is a lot of natural food around that time of the year . I shot most of my squirrels out of the tree from September- to late November with wild food in there mouths 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, villaman said:

I would say get your feeders up early September ,might take a few weeks for the squirrels to get use to them ,plus there is a lot of natural food around that time of the year . I shot most of my squirrels out of the tree from September- to late November with wild food in there mouths 

There will be game feeders as well as squirrel feeders but thanks for the tip Mitch.

Phil