Light rock fishing /salt water spinning

There's some good spinning up around Charmouth and Lyme Regis. Plugging for Bass with surface poppers. Or spinners and  lures off Chesil beach probably first light or evening as the sun goes down till dark. Personally I would use a long spinning  rod 11' or 12' if you can, last year I used one of my carp rods as I smashed some eyes on my spinning rod. 28 gram Toby spinner is a good all-round will catch Bass, Mackerel and Pollack. A angling shop should be able to help with a matching a reel to a rod, what I would say is use a good quality line as cheap ones tend to tangle.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers Arry

• Like 5
48 minutes ago, Arry said:

There's some good spinning up around Charmouth and Lyme Regis. Plugging for Bass with surface poppers. Or spinners and  lures off Chesil beach probably first light or evening as the sun goes down till dark. Personally I would use a long spinning  rod 11' or 12' if you can, last year I used one of my carp rods as I smashed some eyes on my spinning rod. 28 gram Toby spinner is a good all-round will catch Bass, Mackerel and Pollack. A angling shop should be able to help with a matching a reel to a rod, what I would say is use a good quality line as cheap ones tend to tangle.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers Arry

Yeah I have got a old Abu enticer pike rod I thought about using ,only paid tenner for it so if it breaks no worries.

2 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Yeah I have got a old Abu enticer pike rod I thought about using ,only paid tenner for it so if it breaks no worries.

Might be a bit heavy as I was unfamiliar with that rod I looked it up, think its 80g to160g 2.8oz to 5.6oz, you would only need to be casting 10g to 60g. This would make it more like a light beach caster but you could try it see how you get on. I use a Spod rod to do a bit of feathering for Mackerel as I didn't have a fixed spool beach caster works fine. If you down Newton Abbott way have a look in Trago Mills or Go Outdoors they both do some cheap set ups.

Cheers Arry

16 minutes ago, Arry said:

Might be a bit heavy as I was unfamiliar with that rod I looked it up, think its 80g to160g 2.8oz to 5.6oz, you would only need to be casting 10g to 60g. This would make it more like a light beach caster but you could try it see how you get on. I use a Spod rod to do a bit of feathering for Mackerel as I didn't have a fixed spool beach caster works fine. If you down Newton Abbott way have a look in Trago Mills or Go Outdoors they both do some cheap set ups.

Cheers Arry

I go past a go outdoors in Bristol couple times a month? 

Here’s the rod lovely light to handle 3 piece. 

1018D021-2EA7-42F4-9A89-B19680311E99.jpeg

Yea recon that would be okay 3lb test curve, the carp rod I was using last year was a 2.75lb test curve Warrior was a little heavy at first but after a while never noticed. Get a reel to match it not to cheap that  has a good drag clutch, I use 12lb line as I said good quality.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
On 15/04/2019 at 16:53, Arry said:

Yea recon that would be okay 3lb test curve, the carp rod I was using last year was a 2.75lb test curve Warrior was a little heavy at first but after a while never noticed. Get a reel to match it not to cheap that  has a good drag clutch, I use 12lb line as I said good quality.

Cheers Arry

I succumbed and bought these tonight 

Shimano bass rod ,Shakespeare bass rod and the lrf rod ,all like new never been used.plenty of choice now ?

IMG_20190416_183632.jpg

• Like 7

Get yourself some 2 gram jig heads and a selection of 2" soft plastic lures, braid mainline and fish them on the lightest rod you have. It's great fun, you should catch anywhere. I've used the same set up and caught mackerell, bass, wrasse, Pollack, chub, perch, pike and trout. 

• Like 5