People your dog don't like

On 14/04/2019 at 18:41, Chaff said:

Its like he can tell a wrongun straight off 

Anyone have this happen and found the dog to be right.

I was having this discussion with a lad at work. He's a former military dog handler.

We reckon the dog doesn't pick up the wrong un but he picks up on alert response of the handler. Basically you have evolved a survival mechanism over millions of years and the dog is far more in tune to you than you are sometimes. Your gut feeling is way ahead of you and the dog confirms it. In the modern world we have a tendency to surpress that instinct but it's still there all the same. The dog doesn't have the complex logic patterns that humans do and is far more aware of the handlers baseline stress levels and any move from that the dog is already on it.

He gave a load of anecdotal examples and if you're a believer in the gut feeling it fits quite well. JMO...

• Like 2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Didn't know your dog had a bike. Cheers, D.

Dogs defo know a wrong un.... My dog hates me ? They do know mate and they can tell. Not often does my dog refuse a stroke but there's one guy who he just can't get far enough away from and the g

They smell a rat, always trust a dogs senses.

44 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

I was having this discussion with a lad at work. He's a former military dog handler.

We reckon the dog doesn't pick up the wrong un but he picks up on alert response of the handler. Basically you have evolved a survival mechanism over millions of years and the dog is far more in tune to you than you are sometimes. Your gut feeling is way ahead of you and the dog confirms it. In the modern world we have a tendency to surpress that instinct but it's still there all the same. The dog doesn't have the complex logic patterns that humans do and is far more aware of the handlers baseline stress levels and any move from that the dog is already on it.

He gave a load of anecdotal examples and if you're a believer in the gut feeling it fits quite well. JMO...

Yes and no ?

There is a definite psychic connection between some people and their dogs and sadly many people never get to understand what their dogs are telling them because they simply are not capable of understanding them. But, also some dogs are more than capable of making their own minds up and reacting accordingly sometimes in a manner that their owner thinks is out of their normal behaviour.

As has been said earlier dogs have access to senses that we lost thousands of years ago and their sense of smell is amazing. One of the key triggers of a dog reacting aggressively towards someone is adrenaline. A lot of people are scared or wary of dogs and this creates adrenaline that the dog can detect. and may react to. Also, someone acting furtively who thinks that they have been or are about to be found out also creates adrenaline and that can prompt a dog to react towards that person.

I can make a nuisance dog leave the garden where it has wandered into just by looking at it. Not just looking, but looking at is as though it has just spilled my beer. Looking with menace.   Try it. But not on a big aggressive dog or you might lose a limb.  ?   Next time you see a dog wandering on the street fix it with a glare and really mean it. Keep staring and hate that dog like you've never hated anything in your life. I'll bet that it will slink away, turning every now and then to check that you are still looking at it, but it will leave with head down.

• Thanks 2

Well put Nicepix! :thumbs:

Can't disagree with that at all. Not really much chance of seeing stray dogs around here. They tend to be food for coyotes and mountain lions but on the flipside we're allowed to shoot wronguns on sight so it's win win really! :laugh:

• Haha 1

My Wheaton cross hates strange people great with people who he knows or people you’re talking to but if anyone just pops out of nowhere he would have them i think nearly had a few weird folk whilst out lamping at 2 in a morning 

• Like 1

There are definitely triggers for certain dogs from the owners, my misses is a nervy type and you can see the dogs are always on guard around her but there is still no reason when you meet a total stranger and without a word being spoken your normally quiet loyal companion is backing away with its lip curled back, as the old saying goes, the more I get to no people the more I like my dogs ✌️✌️✌️

• Like 2

To add to what's been said... If any of my exes or my daughter were walking Bron or kids/babies that he's around, he will go into a very weird state of alertness yet doesn't always treat everyone the same. When he first met my mates kid (it was in the pram), we were sat on a terrace and some strange cnut walked over begging. The dog instantly put himself between the guy and pram and made it known "do not come closer" He'd never met the kid before, nor has he been trained to act that way (in-fact the opposite). Consistently he acts like this with kids, protective and gentle and with everyone else an overbearing barsteward :laugh:

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1

Only ever had one dog that was dodgy with people, a rotty bitch, she hated the coal man and blacks never did get to know why, but i guess her hatred for one was the downfall of the other lol, never did lose any sleep over it. Lost a few coalmen though.

• Haha 2