Another bird in the hand

Just to make everyone aware, and who may be interested, my new book, Another Bird in the hand will be published later this year.  It is, at the moment, being proof read,edited and formatted, ready to go to the printer in the next few months

The book is a sequel to A Bird in the Hand, published in 2006, and it is once again published in quality hardback, silk paper and in full Black and white with a number of images.

It covers more escapades in the countryside, such as bird trapping, bird nesting as well as chapters on my early showing of birds in the 1960`s and my attempts and successes when breeding British finches and their hybrids, written in a way that could possibly assist any aspiring mule or hybrid breeder.

The book however is not a "how to"  It is a book to entertain, while jogging the memories of many older people who read it, and causing questions from the younger readers of, "did that really happen then"  It also highlights some interesting aspects of our past heritage and social history, for future generations and their people.

This book will cause tears and smiles, and to anyone who genuinely liked my first, you will definitely like this one. 

There has been some different writing styles and concepts used, and some new countryside characters added, as well as some of my old friends from the first book, A Bird in the hand..including Jimmy the Ragman, and Duke, my faithful canine companion.  

This will be a small print run, a lot smaller than I have done in the past.

I will keep everyone informed on how the book progresses and when it is available

Thanks

Bill 

•  
  • Like 10

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to make everyone aware, and who may be interested, my new book, Another Bird in the hand will be published later this year.  It is, at the moment, being proof read,edited and formatted, read

Just waiting for the work to be completed at the editor...Im a geordie, so not the best speller, a lot of work for the proof reader ha ha ha  But, we are getting there...

I'm sure omanyra can sort you out a signed copy at a decent price.

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Not bought a book for ages but will be buying this wish my old mate who was into his British finches was around to read it.

Great stuff

Yip pity about your mate, there is a lot in here he would be able to relate to..

Will PM you when it's ready 

Thanks 

Bill 

Edited by Omanyra
On 16/04/2019 at 07:58, Bosun11 said:

I'll reserve one also Bill if i can?

The first was a crackin read, i'm looking forward to more of the same ??

Cheer Paul 

No problem 

Better get the hankies out for the sad bits ha ha 

• Haha 1

Brilliant mate read the first a few times over ,top book I’m 29 and it’s good to read how good you lads had it back then. My grandad was a old Birdman/ countryman could find any nest you wanted to see he’s no longer with us and characters like him are few and far between now to listen to old stories about birds and poaching and anything to do with the countryside it’s in my blood the dogs and birds ,  he got upto the same as the characters in your book. Look forward to the second one coming out

• Like 1
On 17/04/2019 at 20:17, spanna said:

Brilliant mate read the first a few times over ,top book I’m 29 and it’s good to read how good you lads had it back then. My grandad was a old Birdman/ countryman could find any nest you wanted to see he’s no longer with us and characters like him are few and far between now to listen to old stories about birds and poaching and anything to do with the countryside it’s in my blood the dogs and birds ,  he got upto the same as the characters in your book. Look forward to the second one coming out

Cheers spanna, much appreciated

Bill

A little more about what the book has to offer..Thanks

Bill

Another Bird in the Hand

Tales of a country boy

A long awaited sequel, to the first book A Bird in the Hand published in 2006, this new manuscript continues in the same vein as the first, documenting a young lads journey of growing up, of enjoyment, excitement and of learning, mentored by various colourful characters.

The author again takes the reader back in time, to mining areas of mid Northumberland during the 1960`s, and he invites your mind to join in with the experiences he so vividly writes of. 

From the introduction, the author allows you into what was his world, a halcyon time, where rush and push were not yet invented, and life drifted along at a leisurely pace.    Each chapter of this book is a window to the authors early life, a life that included bird nesting, potato picking, collecting brambles, hips and haws and where stories will unfold to mainly entertain and bring back memories, but, will also drip feed ideas, experiences and concepts that some people may find useful.

Chapter 1 tells of young Bill on a cold early morning outing with “Jimmy the Ragman”, on a quest to trap wild goldfinches.  Read of how this outing didn’t quite go to plan.

Chapter 2 documents another illicit tryst into the Northumberland countryside’s, this time alone, with the aim to catch wild redpolls.  Read of the trapping methods used and how Bill had a close call with the police, and feel the terror as he writes of an unwanted visit to his morning hiding place by an angry police dog.

Chapter 3 here you are invited to meet a few old friends, with Bill describing how these birdmen effected his early years.  This is an interesting and at times quite poignant chapter, with events ranging from humorous early encounters to sad endings, with lots of interesting stuff in-between.  There are tales of being part of early bird showing and of outings catching finches, including bullfinches

Chapter 4 a synopsis of a day out mooching in the local countryside, bird nesting, exploring and enjoying what young country lads did at that time.  You will read, and feel, the excitement, the passion and at times sadness, as Bill and his dog Duke search, finding solace in clandestine places.  Read of perils associated with climbing trees in search of bird’s eggs, and of things that you really don’t want to find.

Chapter 5 and this chapter tells of what can be come across, lurking in the bushes on a morning while out catching wild linnets.

Chapter 6 read how the author describes how when out on a very cold, damp and misty morning, he obtains a fantastic reward for his endeavours

Chapter 7 the first bird-show that anyone attends should stay with that person forever, this chapter documents exactly that, and how, apart from enjoying the event it changed the authors goals after see-ing his first hybrid birds.

Chapter 8 after his first show, and a promise is met, as Bill breeds his first mules

Chapter 9 after breeding mules, the author branches to producing his first hybrids.  Here he describes the successful methods used to breed various crosses, include an interesting and possibly useful section on how he used, and has used since, a method for producing bullfinch hybrids

Chapter 10 and Bill has his first encounter with the charm of the siskin.  From obtaining his first siskin, attempting to catch some wild birds and to breeding these lovely diminutive finches in captivity.  A useful and at times funny chapter.

Chapter 11 again it’s about the virtues of the common redpoll, and how Bill and his dad John, bred their first ever redpolls, from setbacks to success, from  breeding alongside budgerigars in an outdoor flight to the use of small indoor cages.

Another Bird in the Hand is a book to entertain, to have as a prized possession in the personal library of those not only interested in breeding or keeping British finches, but also those who are genuinely interested in the countryside, and of what country lads did not too long back in our social history.

• Like 1