joey barton assaults barnsley manager

I think the word everyone is looking for is intensity........the hard player label is imho bollocks, what some of these players are is intense.

When they play they go to another place mentally.......to use a cliche, they would literally run through a brick wall.

That is mental intensity and a desire to master your opponent whatever gets thrown at you.

Some players just like aggro, that’s Joey I reckon......and it probably has a lot to do with where he is from.

All that said, I find the Joey Barton’s of this world a much more interesting prospect than a team of gentlemen Jim’s.

I have no time for all that “jolly good sport old chap” behaviour and lets all be mister nice guy.......I want to destroy the other team, no quarter given.

The great thing about sport is that everyone has a different view and imho the very best teams contain a bit of everything.

• Like 2

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't agree more. Barton is a fairy compared to the players you quoted and the likes of Tommy Smith  Nobby Stiles and  Norman Hunter. I have mixed feelings about Barton. He does tell it how it is a

Armed stand off with Raol Moat and Gazza turns up with a 4 pack and a fly rod..........?

Just been to watch local teams last game of the season . Lost 3-1 . But as embrassing as the top players are , in the depths of the local leagues theres still steel and grit . Tackles flying in everyw

Posted Images

Teddy Sheringham does a few of these after dinner talks and tells a story about the pal of mine i was on about and how he used to go around the dressing room before a game threatening players that if they shirked a tackle during the game he would break their leg in training ?.....his own team mates were literally terrified of him,compare that to todays " arm round the shoulder " mentality and its no wonder the game has gone the way it has.

Wilfs right you cant be friends with your opponent during the heat of battle i hate seeing the over friendly reaction some players have helping each other up,theres too many handshakes in football for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
48 minutes ago, WILF said:

I think the word everyone is looking for is intensity........the hard player label is imho bollocks, what some of these players are is intense.

When they play they go to another place mentally.......to use a cliche, they would literally run through a brick wall.

That is mental intensity and a desire to master your opponent whatever gets thrown at you.

Some players just like aggro, that’s Joey I reckon......and it probably has a lot to do with where he is from.

All that said, I find the Joey Barton’s of this world a much more interesting prospect than a team of gentlemen Jim’s.

I have no time for all that “jolly good sport old chap” behaviour and lets all be mister nice guy.......I want to destroy the other team, no quarter given.

The great thing about sport is that everyone has a different view and imho the very best teams contain a bit of everything.

Would you of preferred Di canio to score from this or do what he did?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

I never rated Barton as a player i thought him and Robbie Savage were very similar,both trying to be hardman type players in an era that doesnt need hardman type players....an old pal of mine played at the highest level in the 80,s and was classed as one of the hardest players of his era and we,ve had the conversation many times he rates players like Souness ,Jimmy Case,Julian Dicks far tougher players to get in a tangle with than Vinnie Jones,Pearce or the other toughies of the day he always says theres a big difference between hard players and erratic players anyone can jump in 2 footed on somebody from behind that doesnt make you a hard player its all the stuff going on thats not so obvious that makes players hard....ive never played the game but i love listening to the individual battles and mind games that go on from people who have.

As for Bartons off field temperament im not saying im right and anyone else is wrong its all down to your own interpretation of a mans character but personally id rather be confronted by a man with aggressive common sense rather than these people who want a confrontation but dont want what can come with it.....ive never met the man but listening to him on Talksport i liked the honest way Barton communicated it seemed refreshing in an era where footballers and society in general is becoming so soft.

Couldn't agree more. Barton is a fairy compared to the players you quoted and the likes of Tommy Smith  Nobby Stiles and  Norman Hunter. I have mixed feelings about Barton. He does tell it how it is and he is prepared to live with the consequences of his opinions and actions. But he is bad news. He could cause a row in an empty house. I remember when I was a teenager there was a lad that knocked about with us who was forever getting aggressively pissed and landing the rest of us  'situations'. We protected him loyally for years but one night we gave him a hiding and threw him in a canal we were that sick of the c**t. He never knocked about with us after that.

Wilf you have no soul. Di Canio was transcending sport or money. He acted decently. End of. I remember Fowler did some something similar when playing for Liverpool. An old fella like me remembers this moment too:

I always think one of the greatest examples of sportsmanship were the 3 fights Ali and Frasier had. Never a low blow, a punch after the bell, a head butt or f**k all. Just sheer, raw, honest competition. Money meant f**k all to them when they were in the ring, it was all about who was the better man on the night. I take my hat off to them every time I re-watch those fights. Two honest sporting warriors.

Victory means nothing if you've cheated to get the result. Modern football has lost its integrity. Players routinely feign injuries, try to get each other booked or sent off and dive in the penalty box.

As Alf Garnett would have said: "it's not facking cricket me old china! Poofs and lady boys the lot of em."

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
48 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Couldn't agree more. Barton is a fairy compared to the players you quoted and the likes of Tommy Smith  Nobby Stiles and  Norman Hunter. I have mixed feelings about Barton. He does tell it how it is and he is prepared to live with the consequences of his opinions and actions. But he is bad news. He could cause a row in an empty house. I remember when I was a teenager there was a lad that knocked about with us who was forever getting aggressively pissed and landing the rest of us  'situations'. We protected him loyally for years but one night we gave him a hiding and threw him in a canal we were that sick of the c**t. He never knocked about with us after that.

Wilf you have no soul. Di Canio was transcending sport or money. He acted decently. End of. I remember Fowler did some something similar when playing for Liverpool. An old fella like me remembers this moment too:

I always think one of the greatest examples of sportsmanship were the 3 fights Ali and Frasier had. Never a low blow, a punch after the bell, a head butt or f**k all. Just sheer, raw, honest competition. Money meant f**k all to them when they were in the ring, it was all about who was the better man on the night. I take my hat off to them every time I re-watch those fights. Two honest sporting warriors.

Victory means nothing if you've cheated to get the result. Modern football has lost its integrity. Players routinely feign injuries, try to get each other booked or sent off and dive in the penalty box.

As Alf Garnett would have said: "it's not facking cricket me old china! Poofs and lady boys the lot of em."

Good post mate

4 hours ago, WILF said:

Well put mate...

I've played with lads who wouldn't say boo to a goose off the pitch, as soon as the whistle went they became possessed lol....

I loved the battles, I was demanding on everyone I played with, hated losing.... only once did I really hurt someone badly on the pitch, broke his ankle, I was over the top we'd had a running battle and I told him he was getting it....I regretted it instantly it was stupid and reckless...I obviously didn't mean to break a bone but that was the outcome of me going over the top.... I never played against or with too many gentlemen Jim types, football is a working class game, like everyone else it was what you did all childhood on your estate.... a mitre delta for Christmas and mum.wouldnt see me for months lol.... loads of players like aggro, lads like Joey Barton haven't got the intelligence to realise it's only f***ing it up for himself...he's not a hard man only in his own head

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Well put mate...

I've played with lads who wouldn't say boo to a goose off the pitch, as soon as the whistle went they became possessed lol....

I loved the battles, I was demanding on everyone I played with, hated losing.... only once did I really hurt someone badly on the pitch, broke his ankle, I was over the top we'd had a running battle and I told him he was getting it....I regretted it instantly it was stupid and reckless...I obviously didn't mean to break a bone but that was the outcome of me going over the top.... I never played against or with too many gentlemen Jim types, football is a working class game, like everyone else it was what you did all childhood on your estate.... a mitre delta for Christmas and mum.wouldnt see me for months lol.... loads of players like aggro, lads like Joey Barton haven't got the intelligence to realise it's only f***ing it up for himself...he's not a hard man only in his own head

It kills me when commentators say:.."he's worked his socks off" or "he's earned his corn today". Running around until you drop should be normal. Any player at whatever level should give 100% . Right to the final whistle.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

I never rated Barton as a player i thought him and Robbie Savage were very similar,both trying to be hardman type players in an era that doesnt need hardman type players....an old pal of mine played at the highest level in the 80,s and was classed as one of the hardest players of his era and we,ve had the conversation many times he rates players like Souness ,Jimmy Case,Julian Dicks far tougher players to get in a tangle with than Vinnie Jones,Pearce or the other toughies of the day he always says theres a big difference between hard players and erratic players anyone can jump in 2 footed on somebody from behind that doesnt make you a hard player its all the stuff going on thats not so obvious that makes players hard....ive never played the game but i love listening to the individual battles and mind games that go on from people who have.

As for Bartons off field temperament im not saying im right and anyone else is wrong its all down to your own interpretation of a mans character but personally id rather be confronted by a man with aggressive common sense rather than these people who want a confrontation but dont want what can come with it.....ive never met the man but listening to him on Talksport i liked the honest way Barton communicated it seemed refreshing in an era where footballers and society in general is becoming so soft.

Agree that he wasn’t a great player, although when he came up here he should have stuck out, instead he let his mouth do the talking rather than his feet, and then came up well short of his own boasting.

I’ve always thought Barton was a confident, articulate and outspoken character off the park, but maybe a ‘self-styled’ hardman and leader, who demanded respect rather than commanded it on the park. Again when up here, even in a very poor Rangers team, he couldn’t convince his team-mates to get behind him.

Like you I like a straight shooter who lets you know where you stand regardless, but in pro sport I think aggression and maybe even honesty needs to be ‘channelled’ (hate that word ?) to be most effective. Winning is the name of the game, and for me Barton has shown time and again he doesn’t have the right temperament to cut it at the top level..., but feels qualified to dig up those that can.

I’ve stated on here before, and been slated for it, that the EPL has lost its soul. The game might be awash with money, global superstars and state of the art stadia, but in doing so it’s lost something that made it uniquely English. The huge influx of foreign players and the diving and play acting that they’ve brought with them, has almost turned the game into a non-contact sport. I don’t know how many times I watched the 6’2 shit-house door that was Drogba rolling about in apparent agony, wishing there was a Souness or a Dicks there to give him something to roll about for.

• Like 2

No soul ! Lol......I have to admit Jukel I genuinely laughed at that one mate, fair play.

Im going to say this and I’m chuckling to myself as I do it pal, his leg would have still been hurt 30 seconds later if Paulo had stuck the ball in the net first !.......lol lol 

20 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

I’ve stated on here before, and been slated for it, that the EPL has lost its soul. The game might be awash with money, global superstars and state of the art stadia, but in doing so it’s lost something that made it uniquely English. The huge influx of foreign players and the diving and play acting that they’ve brought with them, has almost turned the game into a non-contact sport. I don’t know how many times I watched the 6’2 shit-house door that was Drogba rolling about in apparent agony, wishing there was a Souness or a Dicks there to give him something to roll about for.

I agree to an extent but i think its just something my/our generation have got to live with i much prefer the old first division days and when the Fa Cup was the dream but football is bigger than our little island and its unrealistic to think it wouldnt become a global game with global stars.....i still say the rolling around nonsense is a small price to pay for being able to watch some of the worlds best footballers infront of our eyes on a weekly basis for me the good still outweighs the bad.

• Like 3