joey barton assaults barnsley manager

Agree with some of the comments that I’d rather have one player with the fire in the belly Barton has than ten of these insipid fairies playing in the EPL nowadays.., but you have to temper that with an intelligence that Barton clearly lacks. IMO he’s a good player whos ill discipline, big mouth and ability to split a dressing room has stunted his success in the game.

He went to Rangers a few years ago after a great season with Burnley. His quality as a player should have made him a success, but instead he instantly got involved in publicly slagging off Celtic players and their manager. When the two teams met he showed that he couldn’t handle the occasion..., then got suspended from the club for reverting to type and threatening his team mates. Rangers were too big a club for him and he left after only a few months having embarrassed his own support and been made a laughing stock by the rest of Scottish football. 

Football is a team sport but Barton isn’t a team player. To be that you have to put the good of others before yourself. That requires an awareness, humility and intelligence that he doesn’t possess.., and I think for all his ability and fire in the belly, he’s at best been a liabilty, and at worst a cancer in most of the teams he’s played for. 

Edited by pesky1972
  • Like 4

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't agree more. Barton is a fairy compared to the players you quoted and the likes of Tommy Smith  Nobby Stiles and  Norman Hunter. I have mixed feelings about Barton. He does tell it how it is a

Armed stand off with Raol Moat and Gazza turns up with a 4 pack and a fly rod..........?

Just been to watch local teams last game of the season . Lost 3-1 . But as embrassing as the top players are , in the depths of the local leagues theres still steel and grit . Tackles flying in everyw

Posted Images

Everyone likes a bit of a lad, rough diamond etc....but he comes across as a right nob, I think he craves attention, any attention so will spout shit or act up like a toddler...

Not my cup of tea as a player or a man to be honest....it would infuriate me if I was in the same side as him.... those who have played a bit would see he's a liability with little to no bollocks but a load of yap, and bullying antics...

• Like 2
On 15/04/2019 at 17:07, maxhardcore said:

Managers have more of a responsibility to act responsibly than players imo and with his previous f**k Him .

I hope he gets some time to think on his actions .

But Maxie ,shouldn't we wait to hear the whole story ,both sides of the story ,let justice run its course etc etc or do you only insist on that for Sunderland players ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
39 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Of course but who's your money on of being at fault with all his previous ?????!

He's a wanker pure and simple ?

Previous what?......getting into a row with someone else equally as willing to get into a row?

I did a little bit of reading up and the lad who Barton got with the cigar was trying to set fire to his shirt at a players piss up.

You don’t like him because he had an argument with Cattermole once.....go on, admit it ! Lol lol 

4 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Everyone likes a bit of a lad, rough diamond etc....but he comes across as a right nob, I think he craves attention, any attention so will spout shit or act up like a toddler...

Not my cup of tea as a player or a man to be honest....it would infuriate me if I was in the same side as him.... those who have played a bit would see he's a liability with little to no bollocks but a load of yap, and bullying antics...

Ahh but mate I personally think the game needs volatile characters every bit as much as it need the Paul Scholes.......I’m not mugging what you are saying because I know you know your way round football and have played.

I get your drift completely but personally, I’d have loved to play against Joey Barton.....I lived for those people on the pitch, it just made life more interesting.

6 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

If you read back Wilf there is plenty on here think he's a c**t of a man also it ain't just me ?

Did he not get jailed for beating up some bloke for fook all around Christmas time also with his mate ???

The list is endless for him and just for speaking In a French accent after 4 hrs in Paris makes him a c**t  and a wanker in my book lol

f**k him.

I dont really care what plenty think, I just know what I think.

Sid, You are right mate, eventually you will make yourself a liability but so what.....blokes have to walk their own path mate.

53 minutes ago, WILF said:

Ahh but mate I personally think the game needs volatile characters every bit as much as it need the Paul Scholes.......I’m not mugging what you are saying because I know you know your way round football and have played.

I get your drift completely but personally, I’d have loved to play against Joey Barton.....I lived for those people on the pitch, it just made life more interesting.

Mate, we've all played against and with Joey Barton type characters, against was great...wind them up, get them going and they self destruct... I honestly think those types have no real bollocks and it's all bullshit bravado that tends to go wrong...

Playing in  the same side, and I'm sure we all have....well it drives me mental, I was no Angel and as I think we've discussed before enjoyed a physical game, but bullying academy players in the club, acting the twat constantly would piss me right off, as an older player I actively looked out for the youngsters as they were coming through...stubbing a cigar out on a youngsters lip...nah...

Plus the likes of Cantona, Di Canio and Gazza could be forgiven anything.... they were pure class....he was an average twat lol

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1

Funny enough one of the youngsters came to my last club from City when he was let go at 18, really good player, he ended up working for me and now runs a decent sized gang after learning his trade with me..there was a decent group of them at that time I was hitting 30 they were 17/18 and ready to play half decent standard football... I was out with him and his brother (another of those youngsters) a few weeks back and they look back on those times as by far their favourite socially and for football....they pretty much run that little club now and asked me to go back and manage, there's a bit of money being paid out to the players and it's continued in the right direction....I haven't got time for that commitment but the few of us older players made a real positive impact on those players at a young age, they are old school lads and hate the mobile phones in the club house, lack of social, general change of youngsters coming through.... a bit of a ramble but even at lower levels conducting yourself right rubs off.....I just don't think the likes of Joey Barton is good for fellow players, fans, managers anyone...he could play a bit, but was a liability...

• Thanks 3
On 17/04/2019 at 06:44, pesky1972 said:

Agree with some of the comments that I’d rather have one player with the fire in the belly Barton has than ten of these insipid fairies playing in the EPL nowadays.., but you have to temper that with an intelligence that Barton clearly lacks. IMO he’s a good player whos ill discipline, big mouth and ability to split a dressing room has stunted his success in the game.

He went to Rangers a few years ago after a great season with Burnley. His quality as a player should have made him a success, but instead he instantly got involved in publicly slagging off Celtic players and their manager. When the two teams met he showed that he couldn’t handle the occasion..., then got suspended from the club for reverting to type and threatening his team mates. Rangers were too big a club for him and he left after only a few months having embarrassed his own support and been made a laughing stock by the rest of Scottish football. 

Football is a team sport but Barton isn’t a team player. To be that you have to put the good of others before yourself. That requires an awareness, humility and intelligence that he doesn’t possess.., and I think for all his ability and fire in the belly, he’s at best been a liabilty, and at worst a cancer in most of the teams he’s played for. 

I never rated Barton as a player i thought him and Robbie Savage were very similar,both trying to be hardman type players in an era that doesnt need hardman type players....an old pal of mine played at the highest level in the 80,s and was classed as one of the hardest players of his era and we,ve had the conversation many times he rates players like Souness ,Jimmy Case,Julian Dicks far tougher players to get in a tangle with than Vinnie Jones,Pearce or the other toughies of the day he always says theres a big difference between hard players and erratic players anyone can jump in 2 footed on somebody from behind that doesnt make you a hard player its all the stuff going on thats not so obvious that makes players hard....ive never played the game but i love listening to the individual battles and mind games that go on from people who have.

As for Bartons off field temperament im not saying im right and anyone else is wrong its all down to your own interpretation of a mans character but personally id rather be confronted by a man with aggressive common sense rather than these people who want a confrontation but dont want what can come with it.....ive never met the man but listening to him on Talksport i liked the honest way Barton communicated it seemed refreshing in an era where footballers and society in general is becoming so soft.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1