Newmarket.. ???

What's it like as a town? anybody been there?

I've booked to stay down there soon. Had it on the radar for a few years but never got around to it... i like a bit of racing, or used to do i shouod say!

Obviously it's the HQ for flat racing, with the hourse racing museum there... I'm sure I've read somewhere they've got one of the top greyhounds from back in the day stuffed in there, could be Fullerton, i might be wrong.

I've been looking on Google earth.. it looks more like ares 52 down there!! 

It looks like you're average town.. engulfed by crazy amounts of welth to me. Madness. 

Any opinions folks?....?

5 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

What's it like as a town? anybody been there?

I've booked to stay down there soon. Had it on the radar for a few years but never got around to it... i like a bit of racing, or used to do i shouod say!

Obviously it's the HQ for flat racing, with the hourse racing museum there... I'm sure I've read somewhere they've got one of the top greyhounds from back in the day stuffed in there, could be Fullerton, i might be wrong.

I've been looking on Google earth.. it looks more like ares 52 down there!! 

It looks like you're average town.. engulfed by crazy amounts of welth to me. Madness. 

Any opinions folks?....?

1889, fullerton/troughend, 1890, 1891, 1892, fullerton. Say no more. Modern dogs would get nowhere near that

• Like 1
13 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Knocking the jockeys off the rich peoples lawns.lol  Only been their a few times coursing back in the day it was hot as hell.

Yes, i've stood with some young Irish apprentice jockey's a few times having a laugh with them. Really friendly lads. They'd turn out for the odd meet with the Swaffam C.C. Often wondered if any of them made it big. 20 odd years ago mind.

Just now, Bush Rummager said:

Yes, i've stood with some young Irish apprentice jockey's a few times having a laugh with them. Really friendly lads. They'd turn out for the odd meet with the Swaffam C.C. Often wondered if any of them made it big. 20 odd years ago mind.

Early 90s went to watch organized coursing advent had a good day out.

Cheers for getting back fellas? I'm actually  staying just west of Huntingdon, so looking to hit a few places from there. Had a day in Cambridge before but it's some years ago now. Cracking place from what i remember. It's a family trip, me, mrs and two young (ish) daughters, so unfortunately there'll be no night on the raz for me!!

I'll call into Newmarket anyway, have a quick poke about, bit of dinner and probably check the racing museum out. Certainly looks a strange type of town on the face of it!!