Carpal Pads

Hello. Does anyone know anything about "carpal pads"?  Apparently thats what you call those pads on the front legs, above the foot by the dew claw. Both these pads on my dog keep splitting.  Does'nt seem to cause him a lot of pain except when touched he whinces a bit. But they are basically open cuts. It's happening a lot and I don't know why. Any ideas? Appologies for no photo of the cuts. Will try and get one.  M.

DSCF7647.JPG

11 minutes ago, Skinny Whip said:

Hello. Does anyone know anything about "carpal pads"?  Apparently thats what you call those pads on the front legs, above the foot by the dew claw. Both these pads on my dog keep splitting.  Does'nt seem to cause him a lot of pain except when touched he whinces a bit. But they are basically open cuts. It's happening a lot and I don't know why. Any ideas? Appologies for no photo of the cuts. Will try and get one.  M.

DSCF7647.JPG

Dont run him till September be fine then

Just lead walk him until it's healed,I had same thing with my young bitch ,if your dog runs it's going to just keep splitting,,walking will be ok and it should heal up fine     As long as you don't run the dog to early .

keep the cut clean ,i bath her feet in salt water and cream on the split .

hope you get it sorted ,

mooch

if it's happening all the time then you still letting dog run about of lead? It will never fix until you keep it on lead and rest and give time to heal .

Edited by Moocher71
  • Like 1

There you go mate get on flee bay don’t be afraid to use them I’m sure the working dog world would be to proud to use them on there machines of a working dog I use a pair on my dogs soon as the crops have been cut just for that extra bit of protection does no harm in a little protection 

2CFDD26E-5E7B-4B07-8FC6-D9938B259BB9.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, poxon said:

There you go mate get on flee bay don’t be afraid to use them I’m sure the working dog world would be to proud to use them on there machines of a working dog I use a pair on my dogs soon as the crops have been cut just for that extra bit of protection does no harm in a little protection 

Stay on for 2 minutes 

20 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Stay on for 2 minutes 

Ye, I got a pair from net but dogs weren't having it, tried vet wrap and put vics on it, that worked, but best I found was the duck tape with a bit of vics on to stop dogs from pulling off.

Did look for bike inner tubes too but couldn't get it right through one thing or other 

Best thing to do pal is apply some Vaseline to the carpal pads just before you run her, she be fine then, if her pads are cut anytime clean them with salt water then apply a small amount of honey to the pads, this will prevent any bacteria getting in, the dogs tongue will do the rest, atb pal

best to use the runny type of honey it's less messing about for yourself and only put bandages on the dog if your prepared to check them every 15 /20 minutes reason being if the bandages start to get too tight you can restrict the circulation to the leg, causing you more heartache, 

atb pal

Edited by Countryman62
4 hours ago, Black neck said:

Stay on for 2 minutes 

Bit of electrical tape or vet tape round them job done I’ve had no problem lamping using them I know quite a few people who use them with racing dogs. A bit of creativity goes a long way black neck ??

1 hour ago, poxon said:

Bit of electrical tape or vet tape round them job done I’ve had no problem lamping using them I know quite a few people who use them with racing dogs. A bit of creativity goes a long way black neck ??

Tried it wi tape still come off but then again I'm hand fisted

• Like 1
8 hours ago, poxon said:

Cannot see that stitching holding up 

reminds me of a poor intoxicated soul who mixed in the wrong circles and ended up getting his gloots sealed shut with no more nails

• Sad 1