Ok so where do I find them (pigeons)!

Hey up Dave

We have very large numbers of pigeon over here Dave but the problem is that they seem to be sticking with certain rape fields where they are dropping in on the tractor wheel tracks, then working their way in to the crop. To be honest I have not seen them do this before as there is very little goodness at the bottom of rape crop. On other patches there are flocks of between say 50 and 200 birds that fly in together, one shot and the whole flock is gone. One perm has this isue with about as there are about 100 birds hitting the rape every day so a shot over the field and they bugger off as a flock, impossible to decoy as it is one flock so I have now stopped wasting my time. The pigeon are hitting the grass fields for clover and much easier to decoy, in fact as we speak I can see about 35 pigeon just over my garden wall, 25mt away chomping on the clover. Must go now and get the air rifle..........................?

Checking with all our perm farmers, the peas are going in during May and with so many pigeon around the area, we think it is going to be very busy during May and June. One of my farmers is going to put up some bales in the pea fields ready for us but nevertheless we will be siting some heavy duty hides and leaving them in place for a number of weeks once I know the flight path, to be honest the birds come in more or less the same route so not too difficult.

Phil

*//////

• Like 1
On 09/04/2019 at 19:04, David.evans said:

? Where you lads finding them this time of year

atb 

In my garden and the gardens around here.  Some are  on clover on grass fields. The other day there were about 30 out on the sports field up the road.

Been watching them eating ivy berry’s in the hedges and dropping into the bare patches of rape until today, been driving round this aft looking for them as I’ve got tomorrow off!!

think I’ll target the crows as there a bit more predictable?

• Like 1

My pal and myself were having a look at a deserted farmhouse next to one of our perms, a few trees in the garden area stuffed with crows, there must have been about 70+ birds take off as we looked around. the upstairs windows have been broken and loads of pigeon came flying out. Would love to get this for a perm.

Phil