General inquiry

Hi all just wondering what your thoughts are on the price of deer stalking leases .I'm currently on the look out for one they all seam expensive for the return. 800 euro last season and got 1 seen 5 in Wicklow very poor  is it the same everywhere I dont shoot many anyway just fill the freezer 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just picked up a couple of hundred acres that joins one off my permissions, it’s never been shot for deer apart from the owner taking one or two for the freezer and even then he hasn’t shot one

Did you see many in the daytime mate? Southern England is literally at plague proportions with deer and you only see about 1% in the daytime of what you see on the lamp.....not even 1% if I’m hon

Don’t have to Dorset’s got sika,roe , fallow & muntjac ?

13 hours ago, Themole said:

Hi all just wondering what your thoughts are on the price of deer stalking leases .I'm currently on the look out for one they all seam expensive for the return. 800 euro last season and got 1 seen 5 in Wicklow very poor  is it the same everywhere I dont shoot many anyway just fill the freezer 

I think the prices are a joke to be fair mate, for that sort of money a team of you could have about 5 or 6 days at my pals place in scotland and shoot Deer, Geese, Phesant and Ducks and you won’t of seen as much game in your life as he would put in front of you......oh, and you’d get to stay in a lovely place and get fed and watered well too.

Didnt the NPWS just shoot a heap of reds for f**k all the other year?.......just went in and killed them and lads are having to pay that sort of money and see nothing all season.

Yes it's a bit expesive alright and od probley get a few days in Scotland and maybe even a roe for that money have privite permission around home very low numbers so we don't shoot them let them build up for a few years 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Themole said:

Yes it's a bit expesive alright and od probley get a few days in Scotland and maybe even a roe for that money have privite permission around home very low numbers so we don't shoot them let them build up for a few years 

I’m the same mate, I have not raised a gun to any game in 4 years where I live because it’s so thin on the ground.

On 08/04/2019 at 18:43, Themole said:

Im surprised that's all the deer you seen, I done a bit of lamping in the Dublin an wicklow mountains and was sick of seen them 

• Like 1

Yes I was surprised myself as the same lease four years ago had alot of deer and isn't far from glenmalure which I would of thought the stage would pass by our lease but nothing shot one seen five very bad to be fair so I'll have to find another lease for this year something with a few more animails on it hopefully but it seams very hard to get on a lease up in Wicklow 

34 minutes ago, peterhunter86 said:

Im surprised that's all the deer you seen, I done a bit of lamping in the Dublin an wicklow mountains and was sick of seen them 

Did you see many in the daytime mate?

Southern England is literally at plague proportions with deer and you only see about 1% in the daytime of what you see on the lamp.....not even 1% if I’m honest.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, WILF said:

Southern England is literally at plague proportions with deer and you only see about 1% in the daytime of what you see on the lamp.....not even 1% if I’m honest.

I didn't see many in the day pal, I didn't really hunt it day time I'd no perm, the ones I did see day time were always feeding around the foot of the mountains near the housing estates and the weather was always bitter cold the days I did see them

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Themole said:

Yes I was surprised myself as the same lease four years ago had alot of deer and isn't far from glenmalure which I would of thought the stage would pass by our lease but nothing shot one seen five very bad to be fair so I'll have to find another lease for this year something with a few more animails on it hopefully but it seams very hard to get on a lease up in Wicklow 

We always lamped up around the blue gardinia pub and onwards and they were everywhere, I know a fella who's a member of killteel gun club I think it's called, if you want I could ask him has he any contacts about getting a lease, 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, WILF said:

I have just picked up a couple of hundred acres that joins one off my permissions, it’s never been shot for deer apart from the owner taking one or two for the freezer and even then he hasn’t shot one for eight years  ..standing talking to him less than seventy yds away I counted 168 fallow laying in the field that adjoins his house ..as these were mainly doe's and last years fawns come early June there will be another 100 born , ...which just about wipes out every thing I culled this year from  next door and a place four miles away ...he’s left the deer alone on the basis he likes to see a few about , they keep the grass down and don’t cause him a problem ....He was asking me do I shoot the roe as he didn’t see them about any more ..you couldn’t make it up ! 

• Like 3

Hi Pete jesues that would be grate if your friend new of an opening in a lease  like I said before I no it's hard to get in on one even if your paying good money up there .....Not far outside augrim the lease was last season just couldn't figure out why the numbers were low and even others on the lease said it was shocking the numbers been low ....maybe it's a different story at night they might move a bit more