Dog being aggressive

I have a entire male whippet just under two years old, he has always been quite a lively dog running up to other dogs wanting to play and say hello but never showed any aggression to other dogs. However recently he has been running up to other dogs and squaring up to them (head up tail up doing that sort of dance) and sometimes he has ended up having small fights nothing serious basically just handbags with neither party hurt. Unfortunately though both times it’s happened the other owners have been fairly neurotic women and they have overreacted to the situation and especially if the mrs is walking him she really doesn’t need that grief. He lives indoors with an older entire male lurcher and a spayed female lurcher and they all get on brilliantly. This happens when he runs over to other dogs not them coming over to him and will dash a fair way to see another dog. In every other way he is a very well behaved dog and this season he has been brilliant as a ferreting dog, very good with ferrets, stock and pheasants but this is just starting to bother me and is upsetting the mrs as she walks him when I am at work sometimes. Any advice as why he has started behaving like this and any advice as to how to stop it I would be very grateful. Just to mention I really don’t want to get him done as he is really is spot on in every other way and I am hopeful to breed him providing he keeps doing what he should in the field. Thanks!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To think that he'll grow out of it is very wishful thinking and doesn't take into account why the dog is behaving like this. Yes, he's feeling his feet, his male strength, and the buzz he gets from ch

As a training aid, yeah brilliant. But in this situation just need to be careful the dog doesn't associate the punishing stimulus with other dogs. Could make things a whole lot worse. Just needs to be

Completely agree with Skycat's comments above. As an example, my current pup is ten months old and is extremely "happy" he'd readily go up to every human or dog at full speed to bounce all over them a

11 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

I have a entire male whippet just under two years old, he has always been quite a lively dog running up to other dogs wanting to play and say hello but never showed any aggression to other dogs. However recently he has been running up to other dogs and squaring up to them (head up tail up doing that sort of dance) and sometimes he has ended up having small fights nothing serious basically just handbags with neither party hurt. Unfortunately though both times it’s happened the other owners have been fairly neurotic women and they have overreacted to the situation and especially if the mrs is walking him she really doesn’t need that grief. He lives indoors with an older entire male lurcher and a spayed female lurcher and they all get on brilliantly. This happens when he runs over to other dogs not them coming over to him and will dash a fair way to see another dog. In every other way he is a very well behaved dog and this season he has been brilliant as a ferreting dog, very good with ferrets, stock and pheasants but this is just starting to bother me and is upsetting the mrs as she walks him when I am at work sometimes. Any advice as why he has started behaving like this and any advice as to how to stop it I would be very grateful. Just to mention I really don’t want to get him done as he is really is spot on in every other way and I am hopeful to breed him providing he keeps doing what he should in the field. Thanks!

Is he actually taking hold of the other dogs or is it more like adolescent playing with added growling bit of snapping and generally being a bell end

Have you noticed any similarity between the dogs he's had a go at, colour, demeanour or anything else? Has a dog previously had a go at him for no apparent reason which could have started a negative association?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Is he actually taking hold of the other dogs or is it more like adolescent playing with added growling bit of snapping and generally being a bell end

I suppose definitely being more of a bell end than anything serious, but he has put other dogs on there back but hasn’t done a lot once they are there if that makes sense? 

10 minutes ago, Neal said:

Have you noticed any similarity between the dogs he's had a go at, colour, demeanour or anything else? Has a dog previously had a go at him for no apparent reason which could have started a negative association?

Not at all tbh, last Sunday he put one of those fluffy chow chow things on its arse and then yesterday it was a scruffy terrier, he has had the odd dog have a go just because he wanted to say hello but nothing dramatic nothing more than shouting really. 

20 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

Not at all tbh, last Sunday he put one of those fluffy chow chow things on its arse and then yesterday it was a scruffy terrier, he has had the odd dog have a go just because he wanted to say hello but nothing dramatic nothing more than shouting really. 

Should grow out on it my fecker were the same just giving it Charlie big spuds thing is if hes going to them and 1 decides to eat him a bit it's your fault 

I know what you mean about squealing women tho 

Thanks for the responses lads. I am trying to stop him running over as don't want him or anyone’s else’s dogs getting hurt he seems obsessed though as the minute another dog comes into view he is off...at his age he needs to run and be walked off the lead though and he is so bloody quick he is there in seconds or someone comes round the corner etc. It’s never been an issue until recently though. Not really sure why the change in behaviour? He hasn’t been challenging my older male lurcher at home at all, he knows he is the boss. Hopefully he grows out of it. 

2 hours ago, Rusky1984 said:

My whippet bitch is 4 and for some reason she wants to fight every German shepherd she see she is spot on with all other breeds and she has never been attacked by another dog 

My old whippet/bedlington was the same with collies. One had a pop for no reason when he was a puppy and he never forgave the entire breed as long as he lived! 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

My old whippet/bedlington was the same with collies. One had a pop for no reason when he was a puppy and he never forgave the entire breed as long as he lived! 

My Parson Jack I had was the same , mother in laws collie squared up to him once , from then on every Collie was fair game for him to attack

Mine  never showed no aggression and would run up and piss about. Then one day a bulldog snuck out from behind hind us and grabbed him by the chops while he was on a lead. 
The old terrier mentality switch flipped unfortunately. You don't want your dog having bad experiences because once they get into a habit your fooked lol.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

. Any advice as why he has started behaving like this and any advice as to how to stop it I would be very gratefu

He's maturing as an adult male dog and testing his mettle.I have a 12month old whippet bitch who loves fighting with my two male Russells.You might have to keep him on lead if not working and other dogs around.