First time decoying

On 07/04/2019 at 18:14, sussex said:

Cracking first time outing ....there will be days you couldn’t buy a bag half that size .?

Talking off buying it can be fairly expensive if you fall prey to the marketing men ...you can end up like the carp fishing boys and spend a day carting all the gear out ..?

That is very true.

On 07/04/2019 at 18:24, Fellman Mark said:

I did take my carp barrow to carry my gear so I was half way there ? 

In the summer when the crops are up there and you want to shoot birds coming into that area of fallen wheat or barley the other side of a big field, you aint going to be able to wheel a cart through the standing crop.  I try to find a tramline that I can walk down but even so it can be hard going to force your way through the crop.   The amount of people that have posted that they can drive their 4x4 across the field to set up their hide don't seem to have got a grip on the fact that they aint going to be very popular when they've flattened about 2 acres of crop.  When it is hot and you've got to carry gun, cartridges, decoys, hide, food, drink for you and dog and then hump most of it back along with shot birds after a day in the Sun, it gets blooming hard. And then when you get Home unload it all, look after the dog And sort out the birds. It's all fun though. I did have an idea about making a one wheel narrow frame that I could suspend stuff from that I could wheel down a tramline in the crop but I  never got round to making it and carried on humping the stuff sometimes in two trips. If I am shooting on barley I always check the dogs feet and ears for seeds which if not removed can burrow in especially down into the inner ear and cause big damage to the dog and big vets bills.  Happy shooting.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Meece said:

That is very true.

In the summer when the crops are up there and you want to shoot birds coming into that area of fallen wheat or barley the other side of a big field, you aint going to be able to wheel a cart through the standing crop.  I try to find a tramline that I can walk down but even so it can be hard going to force your way through the crop.   The amount of people that have posted that they can drive their 4x4 across the field to set up their hide don't seem to have got a grip on the fact that they aint going to be very popular when they've flattened about 2 acres of crop.  When it is hot and you've got to carry gun, cartridges, decoys, hide, food, drink for you and dog and then hump most of it back along with shot birds after a day in the Sun, it gets blooming hard. And then when you get Home unload it all, look after the dog And sort out the birds. It's all fun though. I did have an idea about making a one wheel narrow frame that I could suspend stuff from that I could wheel down a tramline in the crop but I  never got round to making it and carried on humping the stuff sometimes in two trips. If I am shooting on barley I always check the dogs feet and ears for seeds which if not removed can burrow in especially down into the inner ear and cause big damage to the dog and big vets bills.  Happy shooting.

Yer the farmer wouldn’t be happy me driving across his fields in my 4x4 but I can take my quad round the outside when it’s fixed ? and when crops are up ? and I don’t have a dog to worry about at the min looking to get a pup soon though 

A barrow is very useful to get all the gear we tend to carry and as already said, unless the farmer has said we can drive on the stubble, we NEVER drive over a crop field.

These work well, depending how big your car is but the fishing carts in the first link are designed to take apart as are all fishing carp trolleys.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABODE-Carp-Fishing-Folding-Wheel-Barrow-XL-Trolley-Porter-Underslung-Tidy/163431676043?epid=1923170318&hash=item260d49788b:g:ocoAAOSwHMJYKGYa

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75L-Heavy-Duty-Garden-Dump-Truck-Tipping-Trailer-Trolley-Cart-Wheelbarrow-250kgs/302834974863?hash=item46825f008f:g:oAQAAOSwnKdbaWxS

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160L-160KG-2-Wheel-Barrow-Outdoor-Garden-Builders-Extra-Large-Heavy-Duty-Cart/143034271555?epid=3028342238&hash=item214d81c743:g:LIYAAOSwYj9cAW5P

Phil