First time decoying

17 hours ago, Fellman Mark said:

My first time decoying and loved it 55 pigeons picked lost about 7 in feild behind and 10 crows lost a few of them aswell 

CD6B29F3-6B6F-413D-98CD-92C8A55BA8C4.jpeg

As your new to this I offer this advice which might help you.  Generally I find that I can go several times before a good day comes along.  I like to set up about 20 ...30 paces away from a tree which is on the easy side.  ( If your r/h the true would be on your left ).  This is so that birds that flight into the tree are easier than trying to shoot at a bird that always comes out the other side. I've found that birds that land in trees nèed a larger shot size. So if I'm using 6..7 on the flying birds I'll slip in a 5 for the bird in the tree. If I use say a 7.5 to shoot a bird in a tree there are a lot of feathers but often the bird will fly off and may fall the other side of the field or just fly off into the distance as opposed to the 7.5 dropping the same bird flying into the pattern. I set the pattern up so that the head of the pattern is in front of  me so that incoming birds fly over the pattern into wind and are right there. By doing this the birds that I am shooting at dont fall in a different field.  Everyone has a different situation and you will find what suits yours best.  Good shooting.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Meece said:

As your new to this I offer this advice which might help you.  Generally I find that I can go several times before a good day comes along.  I like to set up about 20 ...30 paces away from a tree which is on the easy side.  ( If your r/h the true would be on your left ).  This is so that birds that flight into the tree are easier than trying to shoot at a bird that always comes out the other side. I've found that birds that land in trees nèed a larger shot size. So if I'm using 6..7 on the flying birds I'll slip in a 5 for the bird in the tree. If I use say a 7.5 to shoot a bird in a tree there are a lot of feathers but often the bird will fly off and may fall the other side of the field or just fly off into the distance as opposed to the 7.5 dropping the same bird flying into the pattern. I set the pattern up so that the head of the pattern is in front of  me so that incoming birds fly over the pattern into wind and are right there. By doing this the birds that I am shooting at dont fall in a different field.  Everyone has a different situation and you will find what suits yours best.  Good shooting.

Thanks for the info mate I’ll try and take it on board ? 

Cracking first time outing ....there will be days you couldn’t buy a bag half that size .?

Talking off buying it can be fairly expensive if you fall prey to the marketing men ...you can end up like the carp fishing boys and spend a day carting all the gear out ..?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, sussex said:

Cracking first time outing ....there will be days you couldn’t buy a bag half that size .?

Talking off buying it can be fairly expensive if you fall prey to the marketing men ...you can end up like the carp fishing boys and spend a day carting all the gear out ..?

I did take my carp barrow to carry my gear so I was half way there ? 

• Haha 1