grand national

5 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Is it my imagination or are the fences smaller these days ?....and if they are why,animal rights mobs i suppose.....i just dont remember so many horses still in the race in the later stages.

Ive not had a winner in 30 odd years.......my little 4 year old grandson pipes up with " i want the Tiger one "....gets a win with his first ever bet !!

I think they have shortened a few but they are still some jumps! The chair is the tallest I think at 5ft something. Definitely on the animal rights list to get this and all jump racing gone completely.

• Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't be expecting to see much , be prepared to be queuing up for ages and expect to see some tart dressed up falling about everywhere

Lake view lad   

I do see it as a mugs game but, we'll always have some small bets on the Grand National - it's been tradition since I was a kid

Posted Images

If your interested in horse racing, there is currently a wonder mare running in Australia called winx, she is on 31 wins on the trot and running again on saturday. Im sure a lot of you have heard of the greyhound called swift fantasy in oz that would be a good few lengths behind the pack going into the last bend yet some how always be first over the line in dramatic fashion and winx runs in the same way. At odds of 1/12 on though unless you have money to burn it's not worth a bet even though it's the biggest dead cert horse in a long time but it's to much risk for me lol 

Should be a good race tho as she is being retired soon, imagine owning a horse like that and now having all the billionaire owners around the world bidding millions to use their best studs on her for the foals!

Edited by Stoney100
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

The horse was stole and shot mate after he hurt himself in the box and his captors panicked.

That's probably the best version of events. Stolen by IRA for ransom and inexperienced handlers loaded and injured him. With a broken leg he was worth nothing so he was shot and buried.

17 minutes ago, Our team said:

Like you say its only a version... 

True but I know a few boys from that area that had links with people working those yards and they had pretty strong Provo connections but like you say it's just a version because one thing them boys don't do is talk or brag about stuff if they do it. Loose lips sink ships and all that but sad to see the horse lost. After only producing 30 something foals and 15 winners it's hard to judge if he was going to become a top stallion  without having much of a gauge to go off but I reckon he would of been a good one. It's hard to beat saddlers wells as a producer if indeed he wasn't an outstanding racer but still won some nice silverware. That horse carried winning producing blood and was in a league of his own if you had the €140,000 privilege for your mate. You could buy a bungalow for that at the time. I think he's dead now but I'm not sure. I must check the googleizer.?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jiggy said:

True but I know a few boys from that area that had links with people working those yards and they had pretty strong Provo connections but like you say it's just a version because one thing them boys don't do is talk or brag about stuff if they do it. Loose lips sink ships and all that but sad to see the horse lost. After only producing 30 something foals and 15 winners it's hard to judge if he was going to become a top stallion  without having much of a gauge to go off but I reckon he would of been a good one. It's hard to beat saddlers wells as a producer if indeed he wasn't an outstanding racer but still won some nice silverware. That horse carried winning producing blood and was in a league of his own if you had the €140,000 privilege for your mate. You could buy a bungalow for that at the time. I think he's dead now but I'm not sure. I must check the googleizer.?

Mad the money involved in studs, the likes of Frankel and dubawi will make you £30 million a year and you can just let it run round a field and feed it hay every day to keep it happy

13 minutes ago, Stoney100 said:

Mad the money involved in studs, the likes of Frankel and dubawi will make you £30 million a year and you can just let it run round a field and feed it hay every day to keep it happy

I was working around Kildare and the curragh and it's frightening the amount of top stud yards and stables. It's the home of horses. There's even good money in pest control to stop rabbit holes in the paddocks. If that big old stallion is worth 10 million then there is no issue paying 30 grand a year to make sure that big old boy doesn't break his leg when prancing about. He will serve 4 mares a day easy and 100 grand a pop pays everyone's wages and more.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Stoney100 said:

Bang on mate. I'm from laois which is kinda of backwards but 20 minutes drive and pull away from the motorway then it's stud farm after stud farm in Kildare . Multi millions. It kills me watching the lads ride out at 6 am on summer mornings driving by when I'm heading to lump blocks for the day.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, jiggy said:

I was working around Kildare and the curragh and it's frightening the amount of top stud yards and stables. It's the home of horses. There's even good money in pest control to stop rabbit holes in the paddocks. If that big old stallion is worth 10 million then there is no issue paying 30 grand a year to make sure that big old boy doesn't break his leg when prancing about. He will serve 4 mares a day easy and 100 grand a pop pays everyone's wages and more.

Yeah defo mate, some of them that carry certain lines on both sides are so hard and rare to find together that they will keep them under cotton wool forever. 

There is a mare called marsha being put to Galileo at coolmore stables in Ireland and they say that potentially they could produce the greatest flat horse of all time with the breeding behind both horses! But like dogs they could also produce a donkey lol they have fun finding out and make a decent wage along the way so fair play to them

9 minutes ago, jiggy said:

Bang on mate. I'm from laois which is kinda of backwards but 20 minutes drive and pull away from the motorway then it's stud farm after stud farm in Kildare . Multi millions. It kills me watching the lads ride out at 6 am on summer mornings driving by when I'm heading to lump blocks for the day.

I used to know someone who went to work in Ireland as a morning ride out jockey one summer, she said it was the best job in the world, getting paid good money to ride top horses every morning in the Irish countryside and watching the sun come up and free accommodation!