Red Signal Crayfish

A bunch of guys from our local are really interested in getting among these  crayfish. Individually we have bought nets and traps and indeed the smelly bait cubes. Any interesting or intelligent advice on catching, preparing and cooking would be appreciated. I've watched most of the YouTube clips . Jok.

Used to get them from a pond were I worked. No bait Just waste pipe cut about 6" long blanked at one end, 3 or 4 side by side tie racked (ZipTied) to a engineer brick the ones with holes in. The blanked ends have to have small holes in to allow the water to drain. A rope or cord tied to the brick so that as you lift the open end of the pipe comes up first. A piece of ply wood wired to the brick can be used with a bit of batten to blank the ends of the pipe.

Do hope you get what I mean. Anyway there is one in 3 out of 4 pipes usually when I used to do it, think they just go in for shelter I think. Just used to leave them out and check each day if I wanted a feed. If I didn't it didn't matter they.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

The Thames and Cotswolds are crawling with them, I,ve caught loads by just laying my landing net in the edge sprinkle a few pellets on it then lift it swiftly after about 20 minutes, pot of boiling water waiting for them on the fire and a jar of 1000 islands sauce, no purging or faffing about lake to belly in under an hour, taste lovely and never had any issues, also though it may sound obvious they are very nocturnal and if you shine a light in the margins you,ll see loads ??

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, ArchieHood said:

Any old shit will bring them in, see if you're local supermarket will let you have their fish waste.Always worked well for me.

That's about the size of it, probably best to experiment a bit on different water!

1 hour ago, ArchieHood said:

Any old shit will bring them in, see if you're local supermarket will let you have their fish waste.Always worked well for me.

Fresh fish works, load of hassle though, tinned fish can be kept anywhere,  and seems to work better imo

16 hours ago, NEWSBOY said:

Fresh fish works, load of hassle though, tinned fish can be kept anywhere,  and seems to work better imo

I try to keep some in the freezer, let it thaw out in the pot.Last year I was getting a big bag of sprats from Tesco for a couple of quid.