HMR Ammunition inconsistencies?

Well, I took the little .17 out on Monday, first time in a while. I’d purchased some Winchester Varmint HV’s so thought I’d give them a try first at 100 yards. Imagine my chagrin to find that I couldn’t seem to shoot much better than 2 inch five shot grouping. Moving in to 60 yards, the best I managed was a couple of five shot groups at around 3/4 inch. Not too bad I suppose, but this was only at 60 yards. I wondered if I could be the ammo, but yesterday I spent two hours cleaning the bore. Out again this morning I started at 60 yards again. I had seven different ‘brands’ to try. I started off with 5 shots with Remington Premier which gave similar results and all the other 17 grain bullets having similar accuracy, with CCI TNT’s, Remington’s and Hornady being slightly better than the others. With these three to test as my ‘best’ ammunition, I moved back to 100 yards and I was back to 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups again. I was just about to retire and evaluate the situation, when I shot a group the size of my little fingernail with the Remington’s. Now I’m baffled. This was in fairly still air. Just wondering if anyone else on here has had similar results with HMR? 

F15F907F-A732-4CFF-9D62-0B8F3091EDBC.jpeg

I tried most of them and got variable results, my rifle loves the fedral BT's and I've not used anything else since, I put them inside a 5p piece at 100 yds, when weather conditions are right. I'm sure temperature has something to do with accuarcy, and I don't mean shivering ?

• Like 1

I’ve not tried many different brands, the browning HMR seems to like hornady grouping within an 1” at 100, I did try some Remington but I had a few that went where they wanted so I stick with the hornady, I have got some Winchester but I’ve never tried them 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if it was the ammunition, the rifle, or me, the fact that I haven’t really used it in a while because I’ve been bypassing the hmr and just used the hornet. Then when I go back to the short barrelled lightweight hmr, I’m just not used to shooting it at longer range like I used to? In fact, I was beginning to think about trading in for a new t-bolt to ‘solve’ the problem as it were?.  More range time may be needed before I decide maybe???

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Seen too much trouble with misfires mate 

Yep, had a few myself and even this morning had a hangfire and a split case. That’s why I’m wondering about inconsistent ammo, and if it’s worth me bothering with the hmr anymore.

2 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Yep, had a few myself and even this morning had a hangfire and a split case. That’s why I’m wondering about inconsistent ammo, and if it’s worth me bothering with the hmr anymore.

I had a HMR years ago and i cured inconsistent ammo problems by swapping it for a 17 hornet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is true to say the HMR ammo has certainly had its issues, I have had well over 200 split cases at firing (probably a lot more I haven't noticed).

One or two delayed ignition, probably less than 1/2 second but seems an eternity.  Never a squib, YET, and never lost a shot/quarry from the issues.

It isn't good, no argument, and there is a suggestion newer ammo has improved, just the same, my HMR is very important to me and staying put!

Not experienced the issues in OP but have used Hornady V-Max Blue/Red almost exclusively for years now!

24 minutes ago, ianm said:

I had a HMR years ago and i cured inconsistent ammo problems by swapping it for a 17 hornet.

same as this. her just was not accurate and that was with 1" groups on paper.it only takes 1 flyer per box and there just not fit to hunt with.

Sorry to hear to you having such frustrating issues RFB.

I've had my Annie .17hmr for near on 7 years now. Bitch of a round / gun to start with. Cleaned it, scrubbed the barrel, shot it with and without a silencer. Used all types of ammo blah blah.

Then after 300 rounds or so it settled down in to something very good indeed !  I bought a brick of 500 hornady and have never had a split case. I check them in and out. Don't ask me why but it's no good swapping and changing ammo

with the .17hmr just my opinion.

I don't clean mine very often, maybe every 250 rounds or so and then only with a brush. Then i put 10 through it and it's spot on again. There have been times when i'd have skipped this calibre but not now because it works for me.