Ammunition question?

I have an FAC for air rifles and a slot for a rimfire. Looking at getting a rimfire, I know you need to notify on the purchase of a new firearm. But do you have to notify each time you purchase ammunition? Or is it just recorded on your licence, I know you have a limit on your licence as to how much you can hold and must be in a separate safe to the gun cabinet.  Thanks . 

I sold my rimmy because my FX Impact .25 did everything the rimmy did with cheaper ammo. I confess that I didn't get on with the gun which was an Anschutz but the stock just didn't suit me and in some ways I think another rimmy with HV ammo would be far more useful than subs ammo. Just my opinion.

Phil

2 hours ago, philpot said:

I sold my rimmy because my FX Impact .25 did everything the rimmy did with cheaper ammo. I confess that I didn't get on with the gun which was an Anschutz but the stock just didn't suit me and in some ways I think another rimmy with HV ammo would be far more useful than subs ammo. Just my opinion.

Phil

when you were shooting with the 22 lr, what were you shooting, what ammo were you using and what range were you shooting ?

On 03/04/2019 at 20:37, Meece said:

when you were shooting with the 22 lr, what were you shooting, what ammo were you using and what range were you shooting ?

I still think you have had some interigation training M! Can just see you now with the spot light, getting it ready to shine it into RFB face?

Ve have vays ov making you talk?

• Haha 2
On 03/04/2019 at 20:37, Meece said:

I stayed with subs using RWS 40gr which gave by far the best groups. I used the 22lr for rabbits at a max range of around 100mt. I know by using HV shells, I could have increased the range but I NEVER found any advantage with the 22lr using subs over my FX Impact .25 fac. I did try HV but it was much louder, perhaps more effective mods are available but I was not keen on the rifle so not prepared to mess around with it.

As a matter of interest, I am going to try out a Browning T-Bolt on HV shells to see what sort of results we get. This is not so easy at the moment as I have an eye problem so only a basic test.

Phil

On 03/04/2019 at 18:06, philpot said:

Phil

After reading what he wrote it just seemed to me that if he thinks that shooting with a 25 cal air rifle is more effective than a 22 rf  and that using hv would cure this I  do not understand.  I've shot  more fox with my 22lr than my 222 or the 223.  It has accounted for hundreds of rabbits out to generally 80 paces so how is it that This fellows Anshutz which are probably one of the foremost arms manufacturer in the world doesn't fit him and doesn't kill ?  Is it in the mind.  The interrogation would start and the light might be switched on to enquire and analyse those answers. ( I was typing the above when philpot replied)  you've answered most of my questions . All seems about right. What more do you expect from a 22lr ? ... no moderator  can silence a hv supersonic bullet. It is travelling above the spèed of sound.  I dont know about the T bolt. The ones that I have sèen and used ain't very good and I would never personally have one long term.

Okay lets just get this right, the Anschutz stock just din't suit me, I never felt comfortable with that gun so I am quite sure you are correct that some of the issues were in my head. The bottom line is that the post above are my thoughts so ease back boy..........  We all have beliefs as to what works for us and my post reflects just that and is something you cannot argue with because these are my methods not yours and my name is on the bloody post so have the good manners to use it instead of referring to me as 'he'.

You clearly enjoy reading what you write but please read my last three words....................'just my opinion'.............. and I did not ask you to expand on how wonderful a shot you are and what you can and have done with a 22lr but as you have , I am very pleased for you and seriously hope it continues.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

.22LR will always have limited range because of it's trajectory. You can actually use it at some quite long ranges against rabbits as they take very little energy comparatively to kill. The issue is more one of drop. Again, a good scope and BDC may help out. There are people who have shot it out against targets to several hundred yards. However, the issues of humaneness and whether or not it's actually worth the hassle come into play. You need a long zero and good knowledge of the use of BDC. There are better calibres for long range rabbit such as .17HMR now the ammo issues seem largely resolved, rather than playing "Darts" with .22 LR and long curved trajectories. There's also the hornets, although the later are overkill at anything like short range.

HV's are not quiet under any circumstances. A mod makes very little difference to .22LR HV's.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, philpot said:

I stayed with subs using RWS 40gr which gave by far the best groups. I used the 22lr for rabbits at a max range of around 100mt. I know by using HV shells, I could have increased the range but I NEVER found any advantage with the 22lr using subs over my FX Impact .25 fac. I did try HV but it was much louder, perhaps more effective mods are available but I was not keen on the rifle so not prepared to mess around with it.

As a matter of interest, I am going to try out a Browning T-Bolt on HV shells to see what sort of results we get. This is not so easy at the moment as I have an eye problem so only a basic test.

Phil

I know a couple of people with t-bolts, the stainless varmint models and very accurate they are too. I know a lot of people dismiss hv .22’s, but if you find some that suit your rifle they’re obviously flatter flying and harder hitting than subs. I’ve found rws hv hp’s very good. Also Fiocchi hv hp accurate too. Federal classic hv hp as well at only three quid a box, excellent. It’s payed off for me, to try different brands over the years and it can throw up some surprising bargains, as with the federal’s. Different rifles will like different ammo of course.

13 hours ago, Alsone said:

.22LR will always have limited range because of it's trajectory. You can actually use it at some quite long ranges against rabbits as they take very little energy comparatively to kill. The issue is more one of drop. Again, a good scope and BDC may help out. There are people who have shot it out against targets to several hundred yards. However, the issues of humaneness and whether or not it's actually worth the hassle come into play. You need a long zero and good knowledge of the use of BDC. There are better calibres for long range rabbit such as .17HMR now the ammo issues seem largely resolved, rather than playing "Darts" with .22 LR and long curved trajectories. There's also the hornets, although the later are overkill at anything like short range.

HV's are not quiet under any circumstances. A mod makes very little difference to .22LR HV's.

A mod makes a noticeable, and several dB difference on a .22HV, as it does on centrefres, that's why people use them!

It goes a long way to reducing the propellant bang, just leaving the sound barrier crack.

I think we might have drifted off track a bit here.  To the OP, as stated by Stavross, the RFD will write the ammo on your ticket, and no, you don't have to notify anyone when you buy ammo. 

Edited by Deker

What you do have to do is stay within the allowance you are granted as someone I know found out to his cost recently .He now has to try explain why he had 800 .22 when he has 500 on his ticket .

Could go either way I reckon .22 has been taken off him .

2 hours ago, Deker said:

A mod makes a noticeable, and several dB difference on a .22HV, as it does on centrefres, that's why people use them!

I can't say I've measured it but my mates .22LR echoed round a valley off hills several miles away with moderated HV's. Without the mod, it sounded pretty much the same, maybe a little quieter, but not enough to be of significance. With subs, it was always almost silent. In fact it was quieter than my moderated Gunpower Stealth Air Rifle, and that's comparing muzzle noise not mechanism (the mechanism is noisy on the Gunpower in my experience).

In my opinion, .22LR is most useful with subs. If you require more distance or power, there are better choices than running HV's through a .22LR. Just my opinion though.... and I agree are wandering a little off topic here.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1