Part time perm

Last year i got a big woodland perm thats on a shooting estate but theres no pest control on it. Theres no squirrels, ive never seen a magpie or a jay on there and im only allowed on after the season is finished up until they let the birds loose for the next season so i dont get on there much. What there is though is tonnes of crows!

I had a quick wander last night and dropped one and i decided to go for a mooch tonight and have a look.

It was about 7 when i landed and they were already flocking up in the trees and moving around gathering numbers so i got sat in a bit of shelter and waited for them to come in. It took ages for them to get fidgety enough to randomly start landing but when they did, i managed to drop 4 before they got wise and moved right away.

The size of the woods are the biggest problem as when they get wise they can bugger off and barely be heard let alone seen but the brief bit of sport to be had is worth while?

I only managed to find 2 out of the 4 i dropped as the carpet of bluebells in the thick of the wood somehow managed to eat the other 2 and the light on my phone is hopeless but they were lights out before they hit the ground?

I took the pic under a spotlight near the main house and the owner came out hoping they were woodies as he loves a pot roast and was very disappointed that they were crows but pleased at the same time that someone is now shooting them?

377810359_Screenshot_20190402-210121_SmartHDR.jpg.00fc587ac4b523cc31997d03b5ace838.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, The one said:

Nice going mate no chance of decoying them ?.

I actually called him today regarding a field on his boundry that does belong to him apparently so yes i might give that a go along with the woodies?

To get the job done i would install a cage trap looking to get ferret food over the summer , but to decoy them scatter sliced white bread so the can see it and after there clearing it up you should get a good days decoying them 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, The one said:

To get the job done i would install a cage trap looking to get ferret food over the summer , but to decoy them scatter sliced white bread so the can see it and after there clearing it up you should get a good days decoying them 

I will try that pal??

Only had a wood for one year as a game syndicate bought the rights BUT I used an old fishing brolly with a bit of netting over the top and quite a few slits in the brolly in order to shoot directly above. That worked a treat but it was their set roostiing / nesting area. I had some great sport there while it lasted but I found that I needed to be there at least a couple of hours before they started to fly in because they just seemed to sense there was danger otherwise. Hmmm, I want another wood.

Phil