My bitch just finished her season and we noticed a small bb size lump next to nipple. Vet confirmed it was a marmary tumor, vet advised to have it removed and get my bitch speyed.  She said they could cut it out soon or advised to get both done in 3 months time, once all her levels dropped after season. But if the lump got bigger to phone them and they could remove sooner.

Anyone had experience with mammory tumours? 

I had played with idea of getting a pup from her one day,  guess that wont happen now. 

Mammary tumours are very common in older bitches that haven't been spayed. One of the reasons they develop is because hormonal changes during the reproductive cycle kick tissue changes into life. Some small tumours can stay small for years, others blow up very quickly, and each time the bitch has a season it will get worse after the season has finished.  Tumours come in varying shapes and sizes, from tiny, irregular shaped lumps to flattish, raised areas around the nipple, in the milk gland, and sometimes are perfectly round, like marbles. All will eventually metastasise (spread elsewhere in the body) and will kill if left in place, but your vet is right in saying that spaying late in life won't stop tumours once the bitch has already had them, even if you have them removed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unless biopsy has been taken ,cancer is only one diagnoses .Carcinomas are benign and will sit there for years never harming the bitch other than getting sore of occasion .Id get a second opinion if I were you mate as wouldn’t be the first vet to think of the £400 notes for the surgery instead of telling you the truth .

My last lab had a mammary gland strip at ten , a big op that I would not have normally have  had done , she went on for another five years .She hadn’t been spayed and had not had a litter . The new lab , who I wouldn’t breed from has been spayed on the advice of our vet , my wife works for the vets and gets a 70% discount so it’s not money driven advice ...time will tell ! 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Bitch was spayed 3 days ago,  just spotted her licking the area for first time,  yous reckon should dab area with salt water to reduce chances of infection? Only been using the head cover for night as been managing to keep her away from it untill now 

Vet spotted a second small marmory, decided to leave both untill after spay now as it was to much skin to remove at once, one nipple will need to be removed.