New REACH Powders - help please

With some of the reloading powders being phased out under EU REACH guidelines, I'm looking for recommendations for the following configuration:

Calibre is .308 and bullet head is 125Gn Nosler ballistic tips.

Currently using H414, which will soon be unavailable. I've only got around half a tub left.

Anyone got suggestions for a REACH compliant alternative, or better please?

REACH

Thanks 

On 02/04/2019 at 18:40, Lamp_Shy said:

Anyone in here anymore?

I'm passing through.  I like to use 4895 which will go. I've got some stock but I keep meaning to go to a dealer that I've been told had a bit left. Still like everything else it is a load of bollocks. Imagine how much toxic chemicals and polution were dumped on the land and population in the two world wars ect, ect. The fields of Europe still grow crops and there aren't any mutants wandering around. (Well not that many )  I think that most are confined to the house of commons  !  There are Viht  and alliant  powders which are compliant.  Here is a bit of info from Henry Krank.  .... https://www.henrykrank.com/blog/REACH-compliant-powders/

• Like 1

I'm in the same postition, I only ever used varget and H4895, I recently dug out my reloading gear and all I needed was primers and powder, the powder no longer in stock anywhere now I can get too, I know I've a different rifle (.308) but now all my past load data is useless.

I've been told to try imr 4895, ramshot TAC or Hodgdons BLC-2, I have loads of Sierra spbt pills in 150gn and 165gn all .308, its like having to start all over and go back to fekin school!!

Edited by Gav

It's all down to a load of Eu  Bureaucrats that have got nothing to do and have to have meetings ,  and send memos just to justify their existence. Way back in 1969 There was a song by Jager and Evans called ..... "In the year 2525"  a prophesy of the future. Still if the chemicals are that bad and we end up with two heads it might make the politicians a bit more sensible. Or maybe even worse. Its about as nonsensical as being able to legaly shoot lead at a pheasant that is flying over a pond, lake or river and being illegal to shoot lead at a duck flying over the middle of a 20 acre field.

• Haha 1

Thank to the above.

I've done some more research and the real problem is availability of powders locally. Ramshot looks to be getting decent reports, however its not readily available. Vihtavuori however, seems to be readily available, particularly N133, which gives the following recommended mix for a .308:

125Gn Nosler BT - starting load @ 40.1& max load @ 46.3 with potential speed at the max load of 3120FPS - quite fast for a 308.

I haven't run it with the software yet, to check things like ballistic efficiency etc, but so far it looks to be well recommended and readily available.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/?cartridge=30

• Like 1

I just got some bl-C(2) and H355, was talking to the rfd for some time as we went through what he had, he wasn't impressed by the new rules and won't be restocking until he knows what people want, so his assortment was limited. I was saying as we were all forced  to change and redo our load info's, we should be able to buy new powder by the oz not lbs, at £55 a lbs it's an expensive venture trying stuff we don't know will be upto the job. It's all ok on paper, but in practice it can be whole lot different.

I'll post my results on the two I got when I have some results!

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 15:30, Lamp_Shy said:

With some of the reloading powders being phased out under EU REACH guidelines, I'm looking for recommendations for the following configuration:

Calibre is .308 and bullet head is 125Gn Nosler ballistic tips.

Currently using H414, which will soon be unavailable. I've only got around half a tub left.

Anyone got suggestions for a REACH compliant alternative, or better please?

REACH

Thanks 

Lucky there are a few alternative powders for the 308.

I can only guess  from the limited information given but H414 with a case fill of around 100% would only give you about 41000 psi against a max of 60000 so will guess you are using around 51 gr of H414 giving around 2800 fps for the 125 gr bullet.

Other powders to consider would be RS50 which will give approx. the same results to H414. N140 and Reloder 15 are a  possible 2 others. What would govern your choice for these 3 alternative powders would be  how easy are they to obtain locally.

Peter

I loaded a few 150gn sierra spt #2130 with the BL-C(2) I did a 44gn and a 45gn load, unfortunatly I dropped and broke my chrony so canny tell what velocities I was getting, but both loads seemed accurate enough @100yds.

I've just priced up a new chrony ? might be a few weeks before I can get some proper results unless someone wants to sell me one cheap? or have recomendations below the £140 one I was looking at!

Ok amazon are fast at delivery, got a caldwell chrony.

Mixed results just doing the blc(2) with 150 gn sierras spt(spitzer) had a 2629fps but others were between 2665 and 2669 for a

45gn load, so pretty good for consistency. Accuracy I’ll be out again!

I’ll get to the 165gn pills when I have these sorted.

Edited by Gav
On 10/04/2019 at 22:15, dicehorn said:

Lucky there are a few alternative powders for the 308.

I can only guess  from the limited information given but H414 with a case fill of around 100% would only give you about 41000 psi against a max of 60000 so will guess you are using around 51 gr of H414 giving around 2800 fps for the 125 gr bullet.

Other powders to consider would be RS50 which will give approx. the same results to H414. N140 and Reloder 15 are a  possible 2 others. What would govern your choice for these 3 alternative powders would be  how easy are they to obtain locally.

Peter

So I've settled on either Vihtaviouri N140 or N135, the latter is around 100fps faster with a 125Gn BT bullet at max loading. Both are available in my local gun shops.

I'm still playing around with Quickload data for both, therefore any advice would be greatly received.

So a few test rounds,  at 47Gn, is getting decent groups before I start to fine tune. Ballistic efficiency is around 32%, and muzzle velocity is circa 3100. The load is slightly compressed at 13 All from Quickload. 

Any comments Dicehorn? I do value your advice.

Edited by Lamp_Shy