• 3 weeks later...

It isn't an answer to your question but I don't like /get on with lights on the gun. You end up pointing the gun at things that you want to look at but not shoot.  It puts more top weight to the gun. And I just feèl restricted. And slow. Also sometimes you don't want or need the full power of the beam on the target. I much prefer to have a hand held. Holding it in the fore hand.  But that's just me. You will find what suits you best.

11 hours ago, Meece said:

It isn't an answer to your question but I don't like /get on with lights on the gun. You end up pointing the gun at things that you want to look at but not shoot.  It puts more top weight to the gun. And I just feèl restricted. And slow. Also sometimes you don't want or need the full power of the beam on the target. I much prefer to have a hand held. Holding it in the fore hand.  But that's just me. You will find what suits you best.

Not many of the torches these days have FULLY variable power but they pretty much all have stepped levels of power.

Many of the older type Lamping kits have a fully variable power beam (both of mine do) and actually don't weight much at all.

I carry a small torch for scanning around quickly as well, which saves any grief of pointing the gun all over the countryside to have a look.

I have Full NV, Lamping kits and gun torches, still use them all depending on what suits the job best!

Each to their own.

:thumbs:

PS

So Barley BedlingtonHave you got one yet?

• 3 weeks later...

Optic Fire would be worth a look.

Have tried all sorts in the past but now have a couple of XC50’s for rimmies out rabbiting - probably a bit of an overkill for what you’re wanting but there are other models.

https://opticfire.co.uk/collections/opticfire-xc-hunting-torch-kits-lamping-lamps/products/xc-50-deluxe-led-hunting-torch-kit

Would. Happily recommend

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

When I  first started there wasnt the kit available that is out there now. You'd laugh at the kit that we used.  My first expedition was a four D cell lantern torch but it did have Kripton  bulb with a penciil beam.  It was ok with the rimfire on rabbits.  The next trial was a lead acid battery and the headlight off of a Honda 50.  This was rubbish and rotted the carry bag out.  That was very soon abandoned and replaced with a backpack with a small 12volt 8A gel battery  driving amps using 55W halogen bulbs. I still use this stuff because the lamps can be plugged into the  batteries on vehicles such as Hilux and Quads. Quite often I  don't hold the lamp directly at the target, but on the ground in front. You can still see and track the target but it doesn't seem to freak them out. Also I don't tend to use red anymore especially over cultivated ground.  white shows the target better, doesn't freak that target unless you keep it oñ toò long and ensures that you don't take a stray lab or spaniel.  Stray cats are different.

• 2 months later...

To go for rats seriously, an nv will out perform any torch. I shoot on average 5-600 rats per year on a big dairy farm although last year it dropped to less than 100 but nevertheless using something like a Nitesite will allow you to scan an area without causing much if any disturbance. There are plenty of cheap nv systems come on the market that are perfect for ratting.

Phil