trt treatment..

11 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

You won’t offend me mate, an I’d rather an honest answer than one that sounds good or is what somebody thinks it’s what I want hear if that makes sense.

im about to hit 40, done a bit cardio in past few years( only Cos me lad stared boxing an I wanted spend some time with him)

have done a few years in army but again cardio was all I ever done in there

i not bothered about muscles or even gaining weight, if I could just tone up an feel better in meself an be able to do a bit more cardio an add some weights then I’ll be happy, I’m in process of trying to sort out me life an make it cleaner/healthier an wanna be able to do summat I couldn’t ever dreamed of doing for me 40th, tho I don’t know what yet? was thinking of doing the gym thing now, I just beem down to local gym( bog standard council run thing) an payed up an have to go for an induction on Thursday to learn how to use machines safely I think he said. He also said that are no real folk down there to give advice as it’s pretty basic an your left to crack on. 

I can run a few miles quite easily, an enjoy doing a few hill sprints but like Iv said previous Iv never lifted nowt, I’m quite a competitive guy by nature an enjoy competing with meself as much as others, if I enjoy it then I like to push meself.

work full time an have 4 kids who are all active so I do a fair bit running about to there clubs an stuff aswell, but deffo wanna try an squeeze in a bit of weights an see what becomes of it, no plans to be a power lifter or a body builder tbh I just wanna tone up a bit like I was 10/15 years ago ?an maybe even get me cardio a bit better ?

i fully understand what your saying an wont be expecting instant or even great results, but hey, who knows, I do like to push meself In what ever I do( or what’s point?)

thanks again for all the advice lads, I’ll nip in for me induction an see exactly what machines are there an then maybe pester a few folk in here to help me work out a programme to stick to?

Oh bloody hell 40,s alright i had you down as erm.......well a bit older than that ?....i dont know why.

No you crack on mate good for you,men tend not to reach their peak of physical strength till their mid to late 30,s anyway.......just spend some time understanding how it all works,how your body works and responds,how machines work,lifting form and technique etc.....then if its still holding your interest start researching training regimes etc

12 minutes ago, WILF said:

Dont know anything about bodybuilding, but as far as excercise is concerned I have never been able to play or train on a full stomach, I have to be completely empty to be at my best. 

And yet I know some lads who have a full meal before a game and they seem fine?.....I suppose it’s all down to the individual.

LIfting weights on an empty stomach is horrible you just feel weak and 20% down on your best lifts you cant expect your body to perform at its best with no fuel inside it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started weight lifting befor xmas with a personal trainer. Past month been going at it alone and the biggest diverence i have noticed is my mental helth has inproved ten fold.   Wish

Working out/lifting weights.....will all help your test levels anyway regardless of test boosters. Vit D promotes pituitary gland function which is often another cause of low test,low sex drive e

Are you and socks twins ?!  He sported a similar pic a while back , but was bigger . 

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

Call me what you like but never call me him.i aint that delusional.

I was serious.

I would like to retract this nonsence because actually a higher compliment i cannot think of.

When it comes to intelligence and wit old maxy boy is top dog.

3 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Here you go mate. Honestly the best place to start. Aimed at strength and all the basic compound lifts so full body is getting worked and so you can work on form whilst the weights are still light.  Try and do 3 workouts per week but dont stress if you only manage 2. Alternate between workout a and b. Start off with a weight that is failry easy and try and ad 2.5 kg to each lift each week. Good place to start as it's enjoyable as the weight  on the bar shoots up the first few weeks and you see progress. 

20190402_184144.jpg

Whats a bent row and a power clean.?

This should be called the male menopause thread and it's triggered by you catching some 23 year old glaring at your woman's tits at the deli counter. Reaction ( I better get back in shape to stay in the game and lose this dad flab)???

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

If you are using gel on its own then dont be surprised if your levels actually go down.....it can con your body into thinking well ok its coming from somewhere so my body doesnt need to produce it itself and your body can actually PRODUCE less....yes you may feel better for a while but the reason you have to apply it every day is because it works off your metabolism and your levels quickly go back down....and like i say,quite often they will go down to lower than what they started at.....gels are really not comparable to injectable for consistently higher levels.

Fair point and well taken. 

I have my blood tested every month and I am actually a little above the “normal “ range now. (Id double it given the chance lol). 

I have been on TRT for a little over two years now and things have levelled off. 

Someone  refered to “male menopause “ jokingly... They are right. At some point every guy slows down, loses interest, gets soft(every where)...

I decided it was too soon for me. 

I like how I feel after lifting weights, hitting the heavy bag or a tidy little blonde lol. 

I intend to carry on doing what I enjoy  until (as my friends say) something interesting kills me. 

Edited by PMul
Spelling
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Cheers gnash I was actually quite worried about me age, didn’t wanna go mixing with all the younger lads ? but you’ve put me mind at rest an now I wanna see what I can achieve??

I probably worded that wrongly i didnt even really mean age in terms of how many birthdays you,ve had i meant more in terms of inactivity....as in older chaps who have been inactive will not respond in the same way as older chaps who have pushed their bodies for many years.....up until a few months back i was somewhat out of action ? for a year and a half and eating absolute crap but still didnt really lose that much,you dont see many retired fighters or footballers who are out of shape simply because your body adapts to the workload over years... ive known a lot of chaps in gyms reach a certain age,pack it in yet still maintain a decent physique the rest of their life.....Dont worry about the young lads with their disco muscles.

IMG_6543.jpg

3 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

If you are using gel on its own then dont be surprised if your levels actually go down.....it can con your body into thinking well ok its coming from somewhere so my body doesnt need to produce it itself and your body can actually PRODUCE less....yes you may feel better for a while but the reason you have to apply it every day is because it works off your metabolism and your levels quickly go back down....and like i say,quite often they will go down to lower than what they started at.....gels are really not comparable to injectable for consistently higher levels.

that's exactly what this doctor said on a video i watched earlier gnasher. very knowledgeable.

27 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I probably worded that wrongly i didnt even really mean age in terms of how many birthdays you,ve had i meant more in terms of inactivity....as in older chaps who have been inactive will not respond in the same way as older chaps who have pushed their bodies for many years.....up until a few months back i was somewhat out of action ? for a year and a half and eating absolute crap but still didnt really lose that much,you dont see many retired fighters or footballers who are out of shape simply because your body adapts to the workload over years... ive known a lot of chaps in gyms reach a certain age,pack it in yet still maintain a decent physique the rest of their life.....Dont worry about the young lads with their disco muscles.

IMG_6543.jpg

there's some serious forearm on you gnasher fair play.

right this may sound daft but iv'e seen it done before and im sure looking at them hand's of your's and the forearm's i think you could do it.

there was a 50yr old ex miner. yorkshire lad who use to drink in the village pub. called jack.sadly passed on now.

when his beer money would start running low he would pass the ashtray around the pub and lad's would throw some change in there for him to have a few more beer's 

then he would do what he called his trick.

he would get an unopened tin of bean's from the landlady and hold them with 1 hand and proceed to bust the tin open by squeezing it untill either end split open.

as youngster's we would be blown away by that and im 100% sure i could never do it.

15 hours ago, king said:

ah fair play chris you must of been dedicated.

Was is the operative word. I do feel like a hypocrite talking about it these days, though. Wife, kids and life took over but now my lads are getting older they want to get into it so I'm getting back in too. I just work on being better than I was yesterday, slowly getting it back! The trick, I've found, is to leave the ego in shed and get into it. Struggling with weights I used to throw around for fun is a real humbler but that's a challenge I'm alright with. :thumbs:

• Like 1
15 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

One last daft question, best to start the day with a work out or end the day with one?  Both the start an end a my days are pretty unsociable hours, with few hours in between, so do it matter when I try squeeze in an hours workout? ?

an iv run out likes guys so sorry but all answers are appreciated ?

Hounds for grounds again. I was always an owl as opposed to a lark when it came to routines. F*ck that crack of dawn exercising! It's just turned 0100 here in Utah. I came off a 15 hour shift running from Las Vegas out to Cali and back to Utah. Managed a few lifts before I logged in here. I live in the middle of nowhere so banging and clanging in the small hours isn't bothering anyone except the coyotes! :thumbs:

1 hour ago, ChrisJones said:

Was is the operative word. I do feel like a hypocrite talking about it these days, though. Wife, kids and life took over but now my lads are getting older they want to get into it so I'm getting back in too. I just work on being better than I was yesterday, slowly getting it back! The trick, I've found, is to leave the ego in shed and get into it. Struggling with weights I used to throw around for fun is a real humbler but that's a challenge I'm alright with. :thumbs:

Well can't fault that at all Chris.sounds like the driving factor is your lads wanting to start lifting.which is spot on.

Do you hunt them coyotes at all.

15 hours ago, king said:

there's some serious forearm on you gnasher fair play.

right this may sound daft but iv'e seen it done before and im sure looking at them hand's of your's and the forearm's i think you could do it.

there was a 50yr old ex miner. yorkshire lad who use to drink in the village pub. called jack.sadly passed on now.

when his beer money would start running low he would pass the ashtray around the pub and lad's would throw some change in there for him to have a few more beer's 

then he would do what he called his trick.

he would get an unopened tin of bean's from the landlady and hold them with 1 hand and proceed to bust the tin open by squeezing it untill either end split open.

as youngster's we would be blown away by that and im 100% sure i could never do it.

My hands are not particularly strong mate ive had so many broken bones and operations on my hands that im not sure i could do that.....id quite fancy my chances on a pot noodle though ?.....saying that though i used to be able to close a number 3 C of C if you know what they are,havent used them for a while though.....besides which,gym strength and day to day natural strength are often very different things i dont kid myself.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2

I haven’t trained properly or seriously for over six years and apart from a bit of a cider belly I’ve held my bull quite well. I’ve got a physical job and I’m always busy so my strength has I would say remained pretty consistent ......

3 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

saying that though i used to be able to close a number 3 C of C if you know what they are,havent used them for a while though....

Know them well! I could hold it for 4 count. Did you ever attempt No4?