New cars to have speed limiters and black boxes by law

Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022, after new rules were provisionally agreed by the EU.

The Department for Transport said the system would also apply in the UK, despite Brexit.

The idea that cars will be fitted with speed limiters - or to put it more accurately, "intelligent speed assistance" - is likely to upset a lot of drivers. Many of us are happy to break limits when it suits us and don't like the idea of Big Brother stepping in.

However, the new system as it's currently envisaged will not force drivers to slow down. It is there to encourage them to do so, and to make them aware of what the limit is, but it can be overridden. Much like the cruise control in many current cars will hold a particular speed, or prevent you exceeding it, until you stamp on the accelerator.

So it'll still be a free-for-all for speeding motorists then? Not quite. Under the new rules, cars will also be fitted with compulsory data recorders, or "black boxes".

So if you have an accident, the police and your insurance company will know whether you've been going too fast. If you've been keeping your foot down and routinely ignoring the car's warnings, they may take a very dim view of your actions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

:doh: Just kill me now.

• Haha 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to add to this etc  read an article a while back about electric cars and possible implications.  Ie don’t pay your road tax , service , mot, or fall behind on your payments , the motor

As a aged individual approaching my 70th birthday, I don't give  a f**k  about the new rule. I have never been into speed or performance cars. I cannot understand the buzz blokes get from having two e

Good, no need to go above 70

Posted Images

Just to add to this etc 

read an article a while back about electric cars and possible implications. 

Ie don’t pay your road tax , service , mot, or fall behind on your payments , the motor will be “ turned off” as such 

also with the prevelance , any crimes etc can be heatmapped or electronically traced via your cars location . 

The example used was a bank robbery where in pursuit a car could be switched off via a master system . 

Scary stuff when you add in anpr, automatic speed regulation etc 

put blank , they can see where you are , for how long at what time. 

They are nothing short of a tag posing as transport 

where’s that tin foil gone?! 

• Like 6

Am I wrong in thinking they will automatically go to the speed limit somehow.  If I am right then they will lose millions a year on speeding fines once we all have one. It may take about 10 years or so to filter down to the not so well off folk but eventually everyone will have one.

3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

:doh: Just kill me now.

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Just to add to this etc 

Ie don’t pay your road tax , service , mot, or fall behind on your payments , the motor will be “ turned off” as such 

also with the prevelance , any crimes etc can be heatmapped or electronically traced via your cars location . 

The example used was a bank robbery where in pursuit a car could be switched off via a master system . 

Relax comrades! You've done nothing wrong so there's nothing to fear... Right?

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Just to add to this etc 

Funnily I have been working in a place we’re they make electric kits to modify old classic cars and pretty much everything you say is true and already fitted to Tesla cars, they all no were every other Tesla is and they can be turned off from a central data base apparently it’s in readiness for driverless cars, but on a happier note this lad makes kits that can turn anything into electric but without all the tracking kit, he,s done an electric Nissan skyline, vw splitty Ferrari,s,merc,s, and landrovers, so hopefully I,ll still be able to drive my old shed around with zero emissions and no one watching me ???

Never mind about speed what are these push button hand brakes all about and turning the lights on when i dont want them on im constantly arguing with the f****n thing now !

Anyway its not a matter of how fast you end up going its how fast you get there.

Edited by gnasher16