FAC & rifles for dummies

10 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Cheers for that @nick703 

Did they suggest another calibre for fox? I'm not adamant it has to be. 243 just something above .17hmr for night time fox. Cheers 

They gave me a 243 for deer an fox, one of my permissions was just for fox only and not passed for anything above 22 250 so I got a 223 , apparently Notts police didn't have anyone employed who could go out and upgrade said land from 22.250 to 243 ?, all that doesn't matter now with open license 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nick703 said:

They gave me a 243 for deer an fox, one of my permissions was just for fox only and not passed for anything above 22 250 so I got a 223 , apparently Notts police didn't have anyone employed who could go out and upgrade said land from 22.250 to 243 ?, all that doesn't matter now with open license 

All a bit of a joke really. What makes a parcel of land safe for .22-250 and not .243? The .243 whilst it ultimately can reach further if set up for long range, actually has more bullet drop than a .22-250 at typical scope zero'ed ranges, and so is less likely to leave the land where the perimeter is at ranges of over 500yds. Both considerations belay the fact that you should be using a good background.

1 hour ago, Alsone said:

All a bit of a joke really. What makes a parcel of land safe for .22-250 and not .243? The .243 whilst it ultimately can reach further if set up for long range, actually has more bullet drop than a .22-250 at typical scope zero'ed ranges, and so is less likely to leave the land where the perimeter is at ranges of over 500yds. Both considerations belay the fact that you should be using a good background.

I think they just didn't want me goin foxing on there with the 243 , the land is very hilly and would pass for any rifle, I wasn't told I could have a 22.250 , just not to go with the 243 so I said you better give me something I can use on there, land owners said I was ok with any rifle that's how I finished up with the 223 , I'm very happy with my 223 , cheaper to run , less noise an  foxes an muntjac don't no they've not been shot with a 243 ?

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Bringing this back up...

Can someone explain twists & their relevance/importance in my choosing a rifle...

Tia

The short answer is the faster the twist, the heavier the bullet it can stabilise. i.e. 1 in 8 twist means 1 revolution of the bullet in 8" of barrel which is faster than 1 in 12, so a 1 in 8 could handle heavier bullets than a 1 in 12.