FAC & rifles for dummies

Now then,

Have had shotgun since I was 17 but now I'm wanting to get FAC.

Will be wanting .243 and. 17hmr. I work as a shepherd and have permission on farms I work at.

But I know nothing about the FAC process. Do I need to do two FAC forms? I'll want moderators on both. Am I better off applying for one before other or both at same time ok? 

Any dos or donts during interview? 

Thanks in advance 

Ben

If you have the land apply for them both, I would of thought you will be asked about centre fire for your first FAC but been a sheep farmer you have a good reason having it, you only need to fill out one form and you will need to put a sound mod down for each, the form is easy to fill out, just down load it and read through the guidance notes they will tell you what they expect from you, good luck ?

Edited by Stavross
  • Thanks 1
On 25/03/2019 at 13:02, Stavross said:

If you have the land apply for them both, I would of thought you will be asked about centre fire for your first FAC but been a sheep farmer you have a good reason having it, you only need to fill out one form and you will need to put a sound mod down for each, the form is easy to fill out, just down load it and read through the guidance notes they will tell you what they expect from you, good luck ?

Cheers.

So I don't have to be a member of a club or anything?

4 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Cheers.

So I don't have to be a member of a club or anything?

PUT SIMPLY.

You need a good reason, Target shooting is a good reason but you need to be a Full member of a club for that, otherwise a pest control/stalking need works well.

Many have both reasons!  

:thumbs:

• Like 1

As above mate, I’ve never been a member of any clubs, if you have permission to shoot on land and the land is suitable for the firearms you would like to have, then vermin and pest control is a good enough reason, make sure your land and permission is in order, because firearms will contact the owners and check suitability ?

• Like 1

Don't make the mistake of asking for or please may I..... That will result in a no!

The onus is on you to give them a reason as to why you should be granted a licence. So be positive and confident. Not wishy washy etc.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, nick703 said:

If you're wanting a 243 you need to tell them it's for deer and fox , Notts police told me I couldn't just have my 243 for fox only, luckily I've got permission for deer, I'm also aloud to shoot muntjac with my 223 . 

Cheers for that @nick703 

Did they suggest another calibre for fox? I'm not adamant it has to be. 243 just something above .17hmr for night time fox. Cheers 

14 hours ago, Stavross said:

As above mate, I’ve never been a member of any clubs, if you have permission to shoot on land and the land is suitable for the firearms you would like to have, then vermin and pest control is a good enough reason, make sure your land and permission is in order, because firearms will contact the owners and check suitability ?

Last question, promise!! 

In terms of permissions, if in future I want to shoot on other land, do I have to contact police to tell them? Does it state on FAC exactly where I can use which rifle? 

9 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Cheers for that @nick703 

Did they suggest another calibre for fox? I'm not adamant it has to be. 243 just something above .17hmr for night time fox. Cheers 

Day or Night fox is fine with 17HMR.  If you want more there are hornets, .204, 222, 223 etc, you don't need to head straight for a .243.

073f.jpg.a9a65ae1b529db63ea69b4134a97f6e3.jpg

These were all at night with HMR, not great distances I seem to remember, probably hardly over 100 yards and most closer!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Last question, promise!! 

In terms of permissions, if in future I want to shoot on other land, do I have to contact police to tell them? Does it state on FAC exactly where I can use which rifle? 

It will not necessarily state specifically on your FAC where you can shoot, actually its quite unlikely.

However, when your FAC is Open/Unrestricted you can shoot wherever you deem safe and have permission.   If you don't have an Open/Unrestricted FAC (often the case at first grant) then you need to make sure the land is cleared for the calibres you use, refer to police!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3
43 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Last question, promise!! 

As Deker said you may be restricted on your first FAC, many years ago when I put in for a centre fire for fox, I was going for .223 but was advised by a firearms officer to put down for a .243 as this is a deer calibre, at the time I didn’t shoot deer but by saying that I was paying for days deer stalking this gave me an open ticket, probably one of the best bits of advice I’ve had from an FEO ?

• Like 1

Nothing really else to add as all the above have covered it. 

One thing I would say is when it comes to the section on the form about any conviction just be totally honest. I had a few cautions and magistrate visits when I was in my 20s, mainly just petty things but nothing for violence. Wrote everything down to show I wasn't hiding anything. 

Got my FAC granted with a 308 and mod on it amongst a few other calibres

Good luck???

• Like 1