Still Catching

Just looking through some of last months posts and interesting that many had called an end to the season last month as rabbit numbers are low.  I mainly ferret in mid Hampshire and rabbit numbers this year are up on last year and all bunnies are clean, no sign of myxomatosis or any other disease.  Anyway, so I was out this Saturday, been asked to clear through some animal enclosures at a local zoo.  It's a bit different when working in a crane enclosure or Wallaby and Alpaca paddocks.  I had 9 out of the paddocks, then ventured on to a neighbouring field that had quite a bad rabbit problem in the hedgerow and in the middle of the field.  A mix of long nets and purse nets saw another 14 in the bag, so 23 in total, not bad numbers and have been getting 10-15 on most outings locally.  What is concerning is that most females I've caught have been pregnant since mid December.  I figure two more weeks and I'll call it a day for this season to.

IMG_20190323_134903.jpg

IMG_20190323_141140.jpg

Vermin (4).jpg

• Like 6

That’s a good day in anyone’s books mate. Well done. Very promising that you feel numbers are up in your area. I’ve been catching pregnant does since Christmas! If I stopped or didn’t start when there was young on the ground or in the does I would ferret for about 2 weeks in early December! This year I was bolting the odd young un in November and as above pregnant does late December. At the end of the day all my permission is granted on the basis on pest control (as clearly is yours reading your post) and land owners don’t care about about seasons etc they want them gone and if you don’t make a show then they’ll give it to someone else. I have been putting every youngster (and some does) I catch unharmed back down though to grow and breed just don’t tell the landowners! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't normally do any ferreting this time of yr but I been asked to clear a few paddocks tomorrow so I'll have the pup out for few runs .iv held her back as she was just to young to do much befor now.

she needs the experience and few catches will do only good for her .

i will post some pics.

thats a good day out herb .

atb 

mooch

A few places I go it's pest control so they want the numbers down all year round which is not something I am keen on but last week I had to go and clear a load of bunnies off for a family friend and decided to take one ferret as.there were some lovely sets right out ideal for my young dog. I was only going for an hour or two and just by pure luck managed not to bolt any little uns out until last set, had a cracking day so decided to go again the next day which was the complete opposite a nightmare as every set had young uns in and that's all that bolted but I'm not into that so packed up and went back again at night time shooting instead. 

Moocher71 - Big Bert as my kids call him, he is a joy to own and am looking forward to September with him he can certainly clear the bunnies out! I will repay the favour soon mate as I have bred two of my little jills and will save a kit for you. Is the pup you are talking about the bedo cross that you showed me when i came to see you?

Wilbs