Hushpower 410

13 hours ago, Meece said:

A cheap air gun !  Whenever I see posts about wanting a 410 hush power that sounds like that cheap air gun . Alarms sound in my head. Why a 410? More expensive cartridges, less pellets in the pattern, lees effective because of reduced velocity. Overall a poor substitute for a 12 bore or any other gauge. Unless you are up to no good or are an urban ninja or something.

:laugh: Sorry detective inspector!

My moded 410 is used for HD out with the terriers and for farm yard use. Anything bigger is totally unsuitable.

17 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I have huge respect for the 410.

From decoyed pigeon and crows, pheasant and woodcock, ducks and geese, rabbits and fox have all been slain from my 410s

I totally agree UD. The modded .410 has it's place in the hunting world and I am going to buy one for potting pigeon coming in to roost on a new perm which is close to houses so a quiet gun is the order of the day.

Many years ago as a young man, I used to go up to Perthshire on the Tay goose shooting each year. There was an old chap, a local, who we used to see on many trips  who used a sxs .410 on the geese !!!!!

I only once took the p1ss out of the little .410 until I actually saw him bringing down the geese and quite a few of them, total respect both to him and that little gun.

I have also seen a guy shooting Olympic Trap at a clay shooting ground which was very impressive to say the least.

I must confess a liking to some of the really nice o/u .410 guns now coming into the market and one will be in my cabinet later this year.

Phil

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Torquemada said:

I got Eley No 6 cartridges.

I have an unmoderated 410 already, and use it to humanely kill cage trapped foxes, but it is quite noisy, and I even used the subsonic cartridges in it to try and get the noise down. So primarily its for that, but at the moment I have a rabbit job on where there are houses very close and horses in a field behind as well. I couldn't get in a position to use my Air rifle effectively so the Hushpower will be getting an outing one night this week.

Next time you go buy a box of 5,s you’ll be surprised how much quieter 5s are than 6 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, philpot said:

I totally agree UD. The modded .410 has it's place in the hunting world and I am going to buy one for potting pigeon coming in to roost on a new perm which is close to houses so a quiet gun is the order of the day.

Many years ago as a young man, I used to go up to Perthshire on the Tay goose shooting each year. There was an old chap, a local, who we used to see on many trips  who used a sxs .410 on the geese !!!!!

I only once took the p1ss out of the little .410 until I actually saw him bringing down the geese and quite a few of them, total respect both to him and that little gun.

I have also seen a guy shooting Olympic Trap at a clay shooting ground which was very impressive to say the least.

I must confess a liking to some of the really nice o/u .410 guns now coming into the market and one will be in my cabinet later this year.

Phil

A number 6 or BB pellet has the same mass and velocity out of any barrel whether it is a 410 or a 10 bore. The only thing is that there are less pellets in the pattern. This runs over to the multitude of random posts about which cartridge, barrel, choke or any other possible query is best.  at the end of any day the main thing is that the lead has to be put on the target.  I wonder if George Digweed could bring down that atmospheric pigeon that is 30/150 yards away or whether it would be a fluke shot with a 410 loaded up with Eley fourlong.