Mole season over

Well I'll be pulling up my remaining traps at a farm this weekend and thats it, mole season is over for me. Been a decent year, got some good numbers and met some nice people. Heres a few pics. A lot of places dont want gibbets now, they are a bit victorian and i think this may be the last year i do them. Top pic ended up 130 moles, lower pic ended up 300+, i lost count after he took the gibbet down when it reached 200

130.jpg

300+.jpg

• Like 6

On 23/03/2019 at 07:55, trappa said:

Well I'll be pulling up my remaining traps at a farm this weekend and thats it, mole season is over for me. Been a decent year, got some good numbers and met some nice people. Heres a few pics. A lot of places dont want gibbets now, they are a bit victorian and i think this may be the last year i do them. Top pic ended up 130 moles, lower pic ended up 300+, i lost count after he took the gibbet down when it reached 200

130.jpg

Impressive work, mate. You must certainly make a massive difference to all the affected ground, after that scale of trapping ? ,........another interesting aspect of you finishing off soon, is that youll not be trapping alot of pregnant/lactating sows. This is something that bothers me every season,.....but sadly in most instances, customer demands/expectations dictate that you cant really observe a voluntary 'close season' if your inclined that way ? ?

• Like 1
On 25/03/2019 at 13:59, LuckOrJudgement said:

Good pics. 

Interesting that you observe a season. Do you knock it on the head around the same time every year?

yes matey. Spring i stop trapping on farmland. The grass is growing, the moles are mating, the ground can become too hard in the spring/summer months. November - March is mole season for me.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just caught my first youngster from the second brood that usually arrives towards the end of April. 8 moles in 3 new garden jobs. Plus the new terrier we got from the sanctuary in Limoges at Christmas has marked her first trapped mole :thumbs:

She's been coming out with me a few times in the last three weeks and has started taking an interest in what I'm doing. This afternoon she was running off ahead and came across a trap cover. Next thing, the nose was down under the cover and she marked the find. First of many I hope.  ?

1387559281_LilyHappy.jpg.30c8c4948c3c88de9355ce9349f116a0.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Jamie. She is an absolute treasure.  :thumbs:

She is the second dog we were never going to have. The last one, a springer, died two years ago. We got Lily from the local dog sanctuary. She is a 3 year old Fox Terrier x JRT and had been taken from a family who had neglected her. She had never been in a house, had little human contact, no training and basically left to her own devices. When we got her she was shell-shocked after the previous life and oppressive kennel environment. She was skinny, had a gut infection and had just been spayed by the charity so it took a few days before she started to come round. Four months on and it seems like we've had her for ever. Still a few nervous traits to get her over, but nothing as serious as the last dog and she ended up as a shooting, beating, fishing dog so we are confident that she'll adjust. Now she has an interest in the moling it will help overcome her insecurities.

I'll make a ratting dog out of her yet! ?